One Person Killed After Mattituck Fire Rips Through Apartment & Four Stores
MATTITUCK, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — A raging fire on Long Island ripped through four businesses and claimed the life of a man on Friday night.
As WCBS 880’s Sophia Hall reported, parishioners at St. Agnes Roman Catholic Church in Greenport were mourning the death of their handyman and cook, Paul Mittleman.
Police detective Kenneth Richert said the fire started in the 51-year-old’s apartment on Main Road in Mattituck. The fire quickly spread to four attached businesses.
“He was found just inside the door of the apartment. I don’t know if he was trying to get out or we don’t know. But he was just inside the door of the apartment,” said Richert.
At least nine fire departments struggled through the night to contain the fast-moving fire, CBS 2 reported.
Several firefighters who responded to the blaze suffered minor smoke inhilation.
Officials told Hall the cause of the fire was an electrical problem in Mittleman’s apartment. Richert said the apartment did not have a smoke detector.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- Police: Man Arrested After Pedestrian Hurt Following Crash On The Long Island Expressway
- At Least 5 Hurt In Early Morning 4-Alarm Fire In Brooklyn
- As Host Of ‘The Late Show,’ Stephen Colbert Will Finally Get A Chance To Be Himself
- Family Grateful To Transit Cop Who Saved Son’s Life On Sheepshead Bay Train Platform