TORONTO (CBSNewYork/AP) — More bad news for the Bombers.
New York Yankees outfielder Carlos Beltran has shut down his throwing program after feeling tightness in his right forearm following a session.
Beltran says he felt the problem on Sunday.
Beltran has been limited to designated hitter duty since coming off the disabled list June 5 after missing 21 games with a bone spur in his elbow. He played catch for the first time June 11 and has been working since then on rebuilding his arm strength with two sessions every three days.
“The throwing program was going well until that day,” Beltran said Tuesday. “I was letting it go, I felt good about it. The next day I got to the ballpark and my forearm was real tight, like there was a knot in there.”
Beltran is batting .216 with seven home runs and 23 RBIs, and feels no pain when swinging the bat. He expects to have surgery after the season to remove a loose chip.
The eight-time All-Star went 0-for-4 with a strikeout in New York’s loss to the Blue Jays on Tuesday.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)