NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — New York Sen. Charles Schumer unveiled a proposal Sunday to require child-proof safety caps and warning labels on e-cigarette liquid containers.
Schumer was joined by Dr. Maida Galvez and students from Mt. Sinai School of Medicine to urge the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to require the regulations.
Dr. Maida Galvez told WCBS 880’s Monica Miller liquid nicotine and flavors like bubble gum and mint chocolate chip don’t mix.
“Calls to poison centers across the country have risen dramatically,” she said.
Sen. Schumer Proposes Regulations For Liquid E-Cigarette Containers
Schumer said New York State Poison Control centers have received nearly 70 calls regarding e-cigarettes so far in 2014, up from just 46 calls in all of 2013.
Nationally, the CDC warned that poison control calls related to e-cigarettes have jumped from 1 per month in 2010 to about 200 per month in 2014.
Liquid nicotine may look and smell like candy, but can be lethal if ingested.
“E-cig liquid flavored like bubble gum, chocolate and cotton candy is alarmingly attractive to kids. Feds must do more to prevent the rapidly rising number of poisonings and illness in children and adults alike,” Schumer said.
Many parents are not aware of the potentially lethal nature of the liquid if it’s ingested, inhaled or comes into contact with skin.
When swallowed or absorbed through skin, it can cause nausea, vomiting, seizures and even death.
Schumer said more than half of e-cigarette related poisonings have involved children under the age of 5 years old.
The lawmaker is now calling on the FDA to include his proposal in the final draft of the administration’s e-cigarette regulations, which is part of the implementation for the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act that was passed in 2009.
Check Out These Other Stories From CBSNewYork.com:
- Seen At 11: Getting What You Want Is All About How You Ask
- Yorktown Residents May Record, Anonymously Report Litterbugs With First-Of-Its-Kind Law
- SUV Slams Into Queens Home, Coming Dangerously Close To Man Sleeping Inside
- CBS2 Exclusive: ‘I’m Still In Shock’ — Parents Return To Site Of Deadly Radiator Accident