RINGWOOD, N.J. (CBSNewYork) — In a scene seemingly right out of “Winnie the Pooh,” a curious and apparently hungry bear cub got his head stuck in a cookie jar he found in the trash in Ringwood, New Jersey late last week.
The bear cub was in the care of an animal rehabilitator Tuesday, and was expected to recover.
Environmental Protection Department spokesman Larry Ragonese said the 6-month-old cub apparently found the animal crackers jar in a Ringwood neighborhood on Friday night. As the 28-pound animal tried to eat what remained in the jar, he apparently pulled the jar over his head and it got stuck.
The cub became spooked when approached and went up a nearby tree, but got wedged about 40 feet up.
Responding with Ringwood and Wanaque rescue crews, DEP staffers arranged netting in case the bear fell to the ground. After the animal was tranquilized by a DEP biologist, it was brought down and local firefighters gingerly cut the jar off its head.
The cub was dehydrated and distressed, so staffers dunked him in cool water. He was then placed in the care of the animal rehabilitator.
Ragonese said Tuesday that while it is rare for bears to get in such predicaments, similar incidents have occurred a few times in the past.
He said such problems usually can be traced back to homeowners who leave their trash outside overnight or don’t use “bear-proof” trash cans. That attracts bears and other animals looking for something to snack on.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories:
- Division Avenue High School Reopens After Asbestos Concerns
- Trump Says He Was ‘Really Surprised’ By Paul Ryan’s Rebuff
- Alden Ehrenreich To Play Han Solo In Upcoming ‘Star Wars’ Spin-Off
- NYPD: Man Found Unconscious On F Train Pronounced Dead
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)