Derek Jeter Tops MLB Jersey Sales; Wright Comes In 8th, Tanaka 14th
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Derek Jeter owns baseball’s best-selling jersey since the start of the season, MLB announced on Thursday.
The retiring Yankees captain beat out San Francisco Giants catcher Buster Posey and Los Angeles Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw for the top slot on a list of the 20 most popular jerseys sold on MLB.com.
Jeter, who plans to call it a career after the season, was selected by the fans to start in his final All-Star Game next week in Minnesota. Teammate Masahiro Tanaka also made the list at No. 14.
As for New York’s National League team, Mets captain David Wright came in at No. 8 despite a down year and no All-Star nod for the first time since 2011.
“For me, I don’t feel like I deserve to go (to the All-Star Game),” Wright recently said, according to Newsday. “I would say I’m disappointed because I know I can play better than I did in the first half. That’s more disappointing to me than not making the All-Star team.”
Here’s the list in full:
1. Derek Jeter, New York Yankees
2. Buster Posey, San Francisco Giants
3. Clayton Kershaw, Los Angeles Dodgers
4. David Ortiz, Boston Red Sox
5. Dustin Pedroia, Boston Red Sox
6. Yadier Molina, St. Louis Cardinals
7. Mike Trout, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
8. David Wright, New York Mets
9. Yasiel Puig, Los Angeles Dodgers
10. Miguel Cabrera, Detroit Tigers
11. Andrew McCutchen, Pittsburgh Pirates
12. Freddie Freeman, Atlanta Braves
13. Robinson Cano, Seattle Mariners
14. Masahiro Tanaka, New York Yankees
15. Anthony Rizzo, Chicago Cubs
16. Manny Machado, Baltimore Orioles
17. Bryce Harper, Washington Nationals
18. Hyun-Jin Ryu, Los Angeles Dodgers
19. Tim Lincecum, San Francisco Giants
20. Yu Darvish, Texas Rangers
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories