NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — No criminal charges will be coming for the officers involved in the shooting that killed a 16-year-old boy in Brooklyn last year – sparking massive protests.
Kimani Gray, 16, was shot and killed March 9, 2013, by two officers in East Flatbush, Brooklyn. Autopsy results showed he was shot seven times in his shoulders, arms and legs, with wounds to the front and back of his body.
Kimani Gray’s mother, Carol Gray, said her son was killed in front of his best friend’s house after a birthday party. But police said Gray was with a group of young men that night, standing in front of a home on East 52nd Street when the officers from the Brooklyn South Anti-Crime Patrol approached.
When the officers started to talk to the group, Gray began acting suspiciously, police said.
Police said at one point, Gray grabbed for something in his waistband. Gray then pulled out a gun and pointed it at the officers, according to police.
When the plainclothes officers saw the gun, they both fired, police said. Gray was pronounced dead at Kings County Hospital a short time later, police said.
Police said Gray was a gang member with several arrests to his name, but family members and neighbors said he was not in a gang and did not have a gun. Some have accused officers of planting the Rohm’s Industry .38-caliber revolver recovered at the scene, calling it a “drop gun.”
Following the shooting, protesters demanded that the officers who shot Gray be prosecuted. But the Brooklyn district attorney’s office announced Wednesday that the officers won’t be charged, CBS 2 confirmed.
You may also be interested in these stories: