NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Add some “soul” to your Sunday dinner with a comforting southern menu your family will be sure to love.
More: Best Comfort Food In NYC
Brooklyn chef Lawrence Page, owner of the Pink Tea Cup restaurant in Fort Greene and star of reality television show “Hustle & Soul” stopped by CBS2 on Sunday to share some of his favorite recipes.
Click on the video above for more, and check out the full recipes below!
Hot Fried Chicken
- 3 Chicken Leg Quarters
- 2 Teaspoons Cayenne Pepper
- 3 Tablespoons Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Seasoned Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Garlic Powder
- ½ Cup Yellow Mustard
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Cups Buttermilk
- Flour for dredging
- Vegetable oil to fry
- Place washed chicken leg quarters in mixing bowl
- Mix: 2 tblsp black pepper, 1 tblsp salt, 1 tsp cayenne pepper, yellow mustard, 2 tbls garlic powder
- In mixing bowl, rub chicken leg quarters with seasoning mix
- Mix: Eggs, buttermilk and leftover seasoning
- Place chicken leg quarters in buttermilk mix and let soak for 5 minutes
- Take chicken out of buttermilk and add to bowl of flour
- Heat oil on medium heat
- Coat chicken in flour
- Add chicken and fry in iron skillet for 8-10 minutes
- Flip chicken every 2-3 minutes to color evenly and crisp
Hot Water Cornbread
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 3/4 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large cast-iron pan, pour oil to a depth of 1/2 inch, and heat over medium-high heat until hot.
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, garlic powder, salt, sugar and pepper. Slowly pour in 3/4 cup boiling water and stir until smooth.
- Mold batter by hand into 1-inch thick pieces and place into hot oil in batches.
- Cook until light brown, about 3 mins. Flip and cook 3 mins more. Let drain on paper towels. Serve warm.
The Pink Teacup’s Famous Mac + Cheese
Makes 5 servings
- 1 box of elbow macaroni
- 1 can of evaporated milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of mozzarella cheese
- 2 table spoon of feta cheese
- 1 cup of provolone cheese
- 3 tablespoon of salt
- 2 tablespoon of black pepper
- Cook macaroni according to package and drain and put in large mixing bowl
- Add butter to warm macaroni(mix till melted fully)
- In a separate bowl beat eggs and add evaporated milk
- In a separate bowl mix all other ingredients
- Add dry ingredients to mac and chees(mix well)
- Add wet ingredients
- Once fully mixed transfer to a 2 inch baking pan
- Bake in the oven for 45 min at 250 or till the top is browned/crisped