NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Police are searching for a panhandler who stabbed a man with a steak knife inside a restaurant in Harlem.

It happened shortly after 2 p.m. Friday at Pee Dee Steak House on West 125th Street.

panhandler stabs man 1 Exclusive: Panhandler Stabs Patron With Steak Knife Inside Harlem Restaurant

Police said the suspect approached the 30-year-old victim and other customers, asking for money.

“He said something to me, I was just like, ‘dude, get away from me, leave me alone, I don’t know you, like stop talking to me,” the victim, who didn’t want to be identified, told CBS2’s Jenna DeAngelis in an exclusive interview.

He said the man then grabbed a steak knife from someone eating.

“As soon as I saw the knife, it was just like, ‘Woah, what’s going on here? Get this knife out of his hand, get this knife out of his hand,’” he said.

panhandler stabs man 2 Exclusive: Panhandler Stabs Patron With Steak Knife Inside Harlem Restaurant

He tried leading the man out of the restaurant to avoid anyone being hurt, but ended up the victim himself.

“Of course I was scared, like damn I got a whole knife in my back,” he said. “He’s talking, he’s doing all of this stuff. Why hasn’t he been moved out of here yet? Why hasn’t the police been called?”

A manager at the restaurant said the suspect also tried attacking him.

“As soon as I saw him threaten me, I called the police right away,” said manager Hector Garcia.

The victim was taken to Harlem Hospital, where he underwent surgery to have the knife removed from his back.

“If somebody asks me for money next time, they might get it. I don’t really want to get hurt man, it’s got me kind of shaky,” he said.

Police described the panhandler as a black man, approximately 30 years old, 5 feet 7 inches tall, 195 pounds, with brown eyes, a close-cut haircut and a burgundy mark on his forehead. He was last seen wearing a blue jacket, yellow scarf, blue jeans and brown boots.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call the NYPD’s Crime Stoppers Hotline at 800-577-TIPS or for Spanish 1-888-57-PISTA (74782). The public can also submit tips on the Crime Stoppers Website or by texting them to CRIMES (274637) then entering TIP577. All calls are strictly confidential.

Comments (27)
  1. Karl Chavez says:

This Panhandler needs to be taken off the streets and deport him to the north pole.

2. Brian Terry says:

When will Mayor di Blasio and the other politicians finally get serious and enact common sense cutlery legislation? How many people have to be injured and killed before we rid our nation of this menace?

After all, why does every patron of the restaurant have to have their own knife? Why not pass one around, sharing it among all the tables? Why does the knife have to be so long? Have so many teeth? No knife needs more than three teeth. Any more than that makes it a killing machine.

And in the kitchen of the restaurant, allow one knife only, kept under lock and key, accessible to the head chef only. And only those who graduate a rigorous, thorough course of training in knife handling safety.

And at home, all knives should be confiscated, except those owned by current law enforcement officials. Certainly from homes with young children.

Let’s finally get serious about this blade-obsession we have in the country and SAVE THE CHILDREN!

3. Mike Houck says:

Soft plastic Sporks all around!

thank me later.

4. People are like bears. When you feed bears, they aren’t grateful and will attack when you run out of food. Don’t feed bears or give people stuff, they become dependent and attack when you run out.

5. Here’s something else that never happens in Idaho.

6. Wynn Wiz says:

Where is Chewbacca on this? (Chewbacca is Michael Obama)

7. Too bad you live in a communist state that doesn’t honor the U.S. Constitution and the Second Amendment.

8. Like San Francisco where free range violent mentally ill homeless allowed to run around free by politically correct government.

1. Samuel Green says:

New York has a lot in common with California, in that both states have illegally removed law abiding citizens the means to protect themselves from violent armed lunatics.

Both states make it very very difficult to get a firearm permit, and they also outlawed less than lethal capsaicin pepper spray and made it illegal to have a less than lethal taser.

When I retired from the military, I moved from my native New England to a state less stuck on stupid, a state that allows it’s citizens to defend themselves.

This paid off as one evening an armed home invader paid me a visit. Having a sidearm saved my life and those around me.

At the end of the day, While I respect and support law enforcement officers, they simply cannot be everywhere when they are needed. I prefer to not becoming a victim and have a lunatic stick a steak knife in me all the way to the hilt, like this poor victim.

9. Kurt Smith says:

Liberal dominated cities are very violent dangerous places with so many poor and mentally ill people. Why is that?

10. Don McCoy says:

I remember in the pre-DiBlasio days…when Giuliani took the streets back and tamed NYC for the safe enjoyment of the people. LOL! Leftist doctrine and enforced political correctness sure ruined that! Good job, DiBlasio! Way to go!

11. OMG where is that little Hogg turd?

12. Mary Mac says:

if the victim would have been white, he would be called a racist for not giving the guy money and the panhandler would be elevated to ‘hero’ status by standing up against white privilege.

13. Hugh C Young says:

I would guess the culture was not the color of snow.

14. Grizz Mann says:

The victim may have very well been an Infidel.

15. Tony Konte says:

Steak Knife’s have now become an assault weapon and needs regulation.

1. Flim Flam De Blasio will get on this faster than flies circling a freshly laid turd courtesy of one of Film Flam’s protected people. The anti-steak knife laws should be on the books any minute now.

2. Knives kill more people than AR15’s. Fact. We must outlaw knives. London where guns are illegal has a higher murder rate then NYC and actually is thinking about outlawing knives. More children die of drowning than mass shooting swimming must be outlawed. Pool manufacturers have blood on their hands Pools must be outlawed

16. Perhaps Congress should legislate some steak knife control laws. Perhaps some universal background checks for steak knives. Register them with ATF.

1. tonyome says:

We need “common sense” steak knife control.

17. Pee Dee Steak House? I’m guessing that’s about as much of a steak house as Golden Corral?

1. Or like Chucky Cheese is a pizza place

18. John Oakman says:

Will the knifer be at the starbucks bias training??

1. The manager of the restaurant will be fired and sued for racism for not providing free knives for stabbing activities.

19. Mark David says:

Mr. Panhandler, meet Mr. Glock.