The legislative committee looking into the lane closure scandal on the George Washington Bridge has received a federal subpoena involving a former top Port Authority of New York and New Jersey official.
Christie was among several defendants who were initially scheduled to respond to the lawsuits by Friday.
On a cold March day at the George Washington Bridge it was easy to forget the hot tempers of August 2011. Drivers and PATH train riders were angered by a Port Authority proposal to dramatically hike tolls and fares.
Two Port Authority executives pointed by New Jersey Gov. Christie orchestrated a toll-hike plan 2011 that was later scaled back to bolster the images of New Jersey’s and New York’s governors, according to published reported.
The Assembly and Senate plan to vote Monday to establish the joint bipartisan committee with power to subpoena people and correspondence related to the lane closings and abuse of power allegations.
An investigation into the George Washington Bridge lane closure scandal has ramped up. A total of 17 individuals and three organizations were notified Thursday that they’d be issued subpoenas.
Gov. Chris Christie hired a legal team headed by a former federal prosecutor, one day after lawmakers tapped another one to investigate an apparent political payback scandal.
Gov. Chris Christie, Bridget Anne Kelly, Bill Baroni, David Wildstein and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey are named as defendants in the lawsuit. The complaint says the defendants partook in “willful, wanton, arbitrary and egregious official conduct.”
Deputy chief of staff Bridget Anne Kelly’s employment was terminated Thursday morning effective immediately, Gov. Chris Christie said.
Gov. Chris Christie responded Wednesday afternoon to email exchanges made public earlier in the day linking a top aide to the George Washington Bridge lane closure scandal that’s been under investigation.
A subpoena was issued Tuesday to David Wildstein ordering him to appear before an Assembly panel on Jan. 9, Assemblyman John Wisniewski announced Tuesday.
New e-mails have surfaced in the George Washington Bridge lane closures back in September, which critics have claimed were ordered for political reasons.
Records show a northern New Jersey mayor pleaded for help in easing gridlock at the George Washington Bridge, a request made three years before two of the bridge’s approach lanes were suddenly blocked.
A state Assembly panel has been holding hearings into the closing that took place leading to the GWB in September. Baroni said they were closed for a traffic study.
Three Port Authoritiy officials testified Monday that there was no traffic study being conducted while access lanes from Fort Lee on the George Washington Bridge were closed in September, as was originally claimed.