Federal prosecutors said Monday that Gilberto Valle engaged in a grisly Internet chat with a man who said he was in India.
The proposed questionnaire from Gilberto Valle’s lawyers would ask potential jurors if they have a bias against people who frequent Internet sites depicting sadomasochistic behavior. A federal judge will rule on the request before Valle’s trial starts next month. He had previously been ordered held without bail.
Prosecutor Randall Jackson told the judge that Michael Vanhise took part in surveillance of targets of the plot and even sent pictures of his 7-year-old niece to other conspirators, suggesting the little girl as someone to be kidnapped and eaten.
Gilberto Valle, 28, is a married, six-year veteran of the force assigned to the 26th Precinct. He is accused of planning to kidnap, cook and eat — as many as 100 women. Investigators said his meticulous plan included the intentional torture of his victims.