Scores of people who pay rent complain they have no heat and the blame is falling on their landlord.
Underground Con Edison cables caught fire in Astoria, Queens Thursday afternoon, prompting the evacuation of three homes.
The incident began at around 8:15 a.m. at 1270 Broadway near 33rd Street.
Police are trying to track down a man and a woman who they said posed as Con Ed workers to get into a 78-year-old Queens man’s home and steal $70,000.
A state probe into the deadly East Harlem building explosion last March has revealed flaws in the training of Con Edison workers who handle underground natural gas pipes, according to a published report.
Con Edison has launched a program aimed at deterring copper wire thefts and protecting its equipment.
Officials said an underground cable caught fire, triggering manhole explosions and fires on some overhead power lines around 6 a.m. at 95th Avenue near 96th Street in Ozone Park.
At around 9:45 a.m., Con Ed said it experienced a “system voltage dip,” similar to a brownout.
Residents living near a pair of East Harlem buildings claim that they smelled gas in the area the night before a deadly explosion.
Experts have advice on how to deal with the smell of gas and the threat of a leak, whether you live in an apartment building or a private home.
The utilities have not increased the costs. Rather, natural gas is a commodity and in this frigid winter, the wholesale price of natural gas has hit record levels.
Utility problems following last week’s big snowstorm have left a Brooklyn couple feeling powerless.
Power was restored to Con Ed customers in the Dyker Heights section of Brooklyn following a brief outage on Saturday afternoon.
The unusually cold temperatures means some Con Ed customers are paying an average of 15 to 20 percent more this year than last to heat their homes and keep the lights on.
Residents of West Harlem were asked to conserve energy Wednesday evening due to weather-related problems with electrical cables.