The murder trial for the man charged with killing a 6-year-old Manhattan boy who disappeared some 35 years ago has been postponed for months, as psychiatric exams and other preparations continue.
The man charged with killing a 6-year-old Manhattan boy in one of the nation’s most notorious missing-child cases has a disturbing history of beating his wife, molesting a relative and using drugs, prosecutors said in court documents released Wednesday.
The man charged with killing a 6-year-old boy who disappeared in 1979 is securing an unusual witness in his defense: a convicted Pennsylvania child molester who was long the prime suspect.
An attorney said Wednesday that the man who accused of killing a 6-year-old boy who vanished in 1979 should be released because it is taking too long to get to trial.
Pedro Hernandez appeared briefly in court on Wednesday. He was charged with murder in 2011 after he confessed to choking Etan Patz.
Pedro Hernandez pleaded not guilty in December to the murder charge in the death of 6-year-old Etan, who disappeared on his way to a school bus stop on May 25, 1979.
The man who confessed to killing 6-year-old Etan Patz 34 years ago has asked a judge to drop the murder case against him.
The defense of a man charged with killing a 6-year-old boy in 1979 will revolve around his mental state and a false confession to the crime, but he is not pursuing an insanity defense in the sensational case, his attorney said.
Pedro Hernandez, 51, did not speak during his brief court proceeding. His lawyer said he was fit to stand trial and a judge ordered him held without bail.
Attorney Harvey Fishbein says 51-year-old Pedro Hernandez is being charged in the disappearance of Etan Patz . Hernandez, of Maple Shade, N.J., confessed to the 1979 killing six-year-old Patz earlier this year.
Hernandez confessed to the 1979 killing six-year-old Patz earlier this year, but that remains the only evidence against him.
Jose Ramos was released from a Pennsylvania prison Wednesday then immediately arrested on a Megan’s Law violation after providing an outdated address of where he would be residing.
The man who was the prime suspect for years in a landmark child disappearance case is about to be released from a Pennsylvania prison where he has spent 20 years for molesting other children.
Pedro Hernandez had been due in court on Oct. 1. But prosecutors announced Monday that his appearance was put off to Nov. 15 so both sides can continue to investigate “in a measured and fair manner.”
For the second time this week, police, along with the office of the chief medical examiner, have returned to the sight of a former bodega where suspect Pedro Hernandez worked 33 years ago.