The man who was the prime suspect for years in a landmark child disappearance case is about to be released from a Pennsylvania prison where he has spent 20 years for molesting other children.
Pedro Hernandez had been due in court on Oct. 1. But prosecutors announced Monday that his appearance was put off to Nov. 15 so both sides can continue to investigate “in a measured and fair manner.”
For the second time this week, police, along with the office of the chief medical examiner, have returned to the sight of a former bodega where suspect Pedro Hernandez worked 33 years ago.
Authorities arrived at the location around 11 a.m. and ended their search in the afternoon. Investigators left the site of where Patz was allegedly killed with some bags of potential evidence, 1010 WINS reported.
Prosecutors said Hernandez, 51, admitted two months ago to killing Etan Patz in a surprise confession in one of the most baffling missing children’s cases nationwide.
Pedro Hernandez was due in court Monday for an update as doctors assessed whether he’s mentally fit to stand trial in Etan Patz’s death. Hernandez’s appearance was put off to Oct. 1, pending an investigation.
There are new details now known about the suspect in the 33-year-old disappearance of little Etan Patz, WCBS 880’s Marla Diamond reported.
Armed with a search warrant, more than a dozen officers and a NYPD Crime Scene Unit van arrived at the Maple Shade, N.J., home of Pedro Hernandez on Wednesday afternoon.
CBS 2’s Pablo Guzman teamed up with CBS This Morning’s John Miller, an original reporter on the story, for an exclusive interview to break down the answer to the elusive question: what was the motive in the disappearance and killing of the boy?
With Pedro Hernandez giving a detailed confession in the disappearance of Etan Patz, authorities are now working on corroborating it.
District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance Jr. says it’s “premature” to say how confident he is that a former stock clerk is the person who killed a boy who vanished in 1979.
Pedro Hernandez told investigators that on May 25, 1979, he lured Patz into the basement of a SoHo deli where he worked, choked him, put his body in a plastic bag and threw it out with the trash, police said.
Pedro Hernandez is still in the hospital where he was arraigned bedside Friday on second-degree murder charges in the 33-year-old case.
Police have continued to investigate the death of Etan Patz. Pedro Hernandez confessed to killing Patz thirty-three years ago, according to investigators. They have now started to focus their investigation on what he told other people in the years following Etan’s death.
“Juries like to know the “why,” John Miller explained. “And there’s something missing in this story here. It’s very unlikely that he just lured a boy down into the basement with a soda and killed him for the simple thrill of it.”