The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Manhattan rejected Adis Medunjanin’s claims that his 2012 trial was unfair because statements he made to FBI agents and police detectives should have been suppressed.
A senior U.S. intelligence official has said the secret program that tracked hundreds of millions of domestic phone records helped disrupt a 2009 terror plot to bomb the New York City subways.
Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis, 21, apologized, saying ” I no longer support violent Jihad. I deeply and sincerely regret my involvement with this case.”
Prosecutors said Naseer was an al-Qaeda operative who collected bomb-making materials and scouted potential targets as part of Najibullah Zazi’s plot to carry out coordinated suicide bombing attacks.
Abid Naseer, 26, arrived at John F. Kennedy International Airport Thursday afternoon from England to stand trial in Brooklyn. He will be arraigned on Monday.
A jury found Adis Medunjanin guilty of all counts for his role in a terror plot that federal authorities say was one of the closest calls since Sept. 11, 2001.
Adis Medunjanin, a former security guard, agreed to become a suicide bomber targeting the New York City subway system, prosecutors said. The plan has been called the most significant terror plot on United States soil since 9/11.
Najibullah Zazi, 26, has pleaded guilty and is testifying for the government now, but in 2009 he was still maintaining his innocence in a plot to suicide bomb the New York City underground, saying things like “I am not involved with al Qaeda.”
In court Tuesday, Zazi, with short hair and a beard, was asked if he could identify one of the two men who were committed to killing New Yorkers. He pointed to the defendant and said in a clear voice, “I see Medunjanin.”
As a stoic Adis Medunjanin looked on, one of his alleged partners, Zareim Ahmedzay, told jurors on Monday that Medunjanin was a willing participant in the terrorist plot against New York City.
Mohammed Wali Zazi, convicted of conspiracy and obstruction of justice, was sentenced Friday to 4.5 years behind bars.
A New York City man accused in one of the most serious terror plots since the Sept. 11 attacks has pleaded not guilty to a revised indictment.
The father of a man who admitted plotting to bomb New York City subways pleaded guilty Friday to charges he forged immigration forms on behalf of a nephew who ended up testifying against him at a trial earlier this year.
Mohammed Wali Zazi, 55, father of admitted terrorist Najibullah Zazi, has been convicted of trying to cover up his son’s plan to bomb New York City subways two years ago.
Zazi is charged with obstruction of justice by lying to investigators and tampering and destroying evidence to cover for his son, who pleaded guilty last year of plotting to attack New York City subways in the Fall of 2009.