Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless. There was a carbon monoxide detector in the home but it was inoperable, Chief of Detectives Anthony F. Ambrose said.
Whipping winds took down trees, power lines, and street signs on Tuesday, and it is just the beginning of a big shift in the weather in the Tri-State Area.
The credits will cut the average customer’s bill by about 31 percent.
Long Island is right in the bull’s-eye of a massive winter storm which could dump up to two or more feet of snow in some areas.
A transformer failure cut power to 1,400 customers Wednesday in Woodbridge, New Jersey.
A major complaint in the days following Sandy was that customers didn’t know what repairs crews were working on when their power would be restored.
New Jersey’s largest utility is teaming with the producers of television’s Sesame Street to help families prepare for major emergencies such as hurricanes, tornadoes and floods.
On Long Island, a new law is warning of toxic chemicals that have long been used to preserve power poles.
A gas station owner said PSEG Long Island closed the street next to his business, blocking customers from getting to his gas pumps and costing him tens of thousands of dollars.
Some Suffolk County businesses have reported receiving a call from someone who claims to work for the utility company and threatens to turn off electricity unless immediate payment is made.
The New Jersey Public Board of Utilities is holding meetings in Trenton between power companies and environmentalists because tree maintenance rules around power lines in the state will expire in less than a year.
About 900 Port Washington residents have signed a petition demanding their removal. The petition claims the taller poles are dangerous and an eyesore.
March is living up to its reputation as wicked winds whipped across New York and New Jersey, making a blast of Arctic air feel even colder.
The chief of the West Trenton Volunteer Fire Company claims that his department had not been alerted to a gas leak that played a role in a fatal explosion.
Mayor Steven Fulop said a possible street mix-up may have delayed the response to a massive Jersey City fire that left four people dead and dozens of other residents displaced.