Tale Of The Tape: San Antonio Spurs vs. Detroit Red Wings
- CONSECUTIVE PLAYOFF APPEARANCESSpurs 17. Extremely impressive.Red Wings 23, Just slightly more impressive.
- CHAMPIONSHIPS (During playoff streak)Spurs 5, or 29.4 percent of the time.Red Wings 4, or 17.4 percent of the time.
- NOTABLE COACHESSpurs: Gregg Popovich. He's been the coach since 1996 and is one of five coaches in NBA history to win five championships.Red Wings: Scotty Bowman, Mike Babcock -- two of the best coaches in NHL history.
- NOTABLE EXECUTIVESSpurs: R.C. Buford. Brought Manu Ginobli, Brent Barry, Kawhi Leonard, Stephen Jackson and Tiago Splitter to the Spurs, among others. Has consistently supplied the team with quality depth.Red Wings: Ken Holland. Has found more hidden gems in the NHL Draft than anyone else, has been able to keep the team competitive for over two decades (albeit in different capacities).
- NOTABLE PLAYERS (During playoff streak)Spurs: Tim Duncan, David Robinson, Manu Ginobli, Tony Parker, Avery JohnsonRed Wings: Steve Yzerman, Sergei Fedorov, Brendan Shanahan, Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, Nicklas Lidstrom, Chris Chelios, Paul Coffey, Larry Murphy
Both of these teams have achieved elite status by consistently putting out a winning product, but what the Red Wings have been able to do is just unreal. Ultimately, it comes down to the nature of the two sports; in basketball, a duo or trio of stars can dominate a game, but in hockey, it takes an entire team of four offensive lines, three defensive pairings and two goaltenders to get the job done. Detroit has been able to do it successfully for 23 years. That's simply unreal. -- Daniel Friedman, CBS New York contributor