Keeping with a weekly exercise regimen in New York can become a workout in itself as many cannot commit to a consistent schedule due to work and other activities. Why should someone invest in a pricey gym when their work schedule does not allow for frequent attendance? Don’t be discouraged by your work schedule to not work out. There are ways to get fit, all within the comforts of your own home. Rather than becoming a couch potato, consider these ideas for creating a home gym.
1) Find a secluded area. Now that you have decided you want a home gym, it is time to find its proper space. Search for an area in your home that is unused or OK to keep gym equipment stored in. New York homes often don’t have much spare room. Choose a spot that could work for multiple purposes. Examples of this include a bigger bedroom, basement or corner of your living room.
2) Select your gym equipment. Every good gym needs great equipment. Treadmills, exercise bikes and free weights are among some of the most popular pieces of equipment. Just be sure not to over clutter a room with equipment as it will make your space less functional. Consider a piece of equipment that has multiple workout options.
3) Protect your flooring. Rubber mats are essential for a home gym as they help prevent your flooring from wear and tear. Mats are also great for soaking up excess sweat after a hard workout. After all, nobody wants to walk around on sweaty floors.
4) Ventilate the room. Many New York apartments use in-wall air conditioners that might be costly to run while working out. Rather than cranking up the A/C, try other alternatives to maintain a pleasant atmosphere during exercise. A good fan will circulate the air in your room while keeping you cool during your fitness endeavors. In addition, the use of a dehumidifier will keep humidity low in your home gym and prevent things from becoming too stuffy.
5) Add entertainment. Stay motivated and focused on exercising with entertainment. A television and sound system are popular choices for any gym because they provide a pleasant distraction during tough workouts. For those who need extra space in their home gym, mount all entertainment products on the wall.
These local businesses may be able to help you get started.
Montauk Rug & Carpet
109 W 24th St
New York, NY 10011
Montauk Rug & Carpet has a huge selection of flooring options including flex and rubber alternatives for your home gym.
New York Barbells
160 Home St
Elmira, New York 14904
New York Barbells is a resource outside of New York City that provides affordable pieces to make a home gym complete.
New York, NY 10025
University Housewares is a company that has serviced the Big Apple for over 60 years. They can help you find space-saving items to clear up more room for your gym.
For more great tricks, tips and advice about your home, visit CBSNewYork.com/YourHome.
Tanvier Lee is a New York based lifestyle decorator, stylist and freelance writer.