NJ TRANSIT TRAIN CRASH: Latest | Transit Changes | Video | Photos | NJ TRANSIT | 1010 WINS | WCBS 880

JetBlue Attendant Makes Bail, Mysteriously Whisked Away

Mother, Ex-Wife Quickly Come To Steven Slater's Defense

NEW YORK (CBS 2/1010 WINS) — He’s transformed from flight attendant to flat-out famous.

After one night on Rikers Island, CBS 2’s Hazel Sanchez reports Slater made his $2,500 bail on Tuesday. But that’s nothing compared to the $25,000 that will cost to replace the emergency slide he used to make his getaway.

steven slater posts bail JetBlue Attendant Makes Bail, Mysteriously Whisked Away

Slater Makes Bail (Photo/Al Jones, 1010 WINS)

Slater first calmly walked out of the Vernon C. Bain Corrections Center, briefly thanked his supporters and then made a mad dash for a mini-van waiting to take him away.

Now, the infamous JetBlue flight attendant making national headlines for his spectacular slide out of employment is getting the full support from the women in his life.

“I can understand why he snapped. I would have snapped, too,” said his mother, Diane Slater. “I also don’t think that people who are in the service industry should be abused by anybody, whether it be a passenger or family or anybody.”

Even Slater’s ex-wife, his high school sweetheart, came to his defense.

“He definitely exited in a grand fashion. He is a dramatic fellow. So I wouldn’t expect any less of him. I think he’s fabulous. I couldn’t think other than how he could do that. I just think he had enough of mistreatment,” Cynthia Suzanne added.

Slater basically said he had had it in his confession read during his first court appearance in Queens on Tuesday, saying: “I lost patience after a female passenger had an argument with another passenger and then opened the bin door hitting me on the head without apologizing.  I got on the microphone and said ‘to those of you who have shown dignity and respect these last 20 years, thanks for a great ride.'”

JetBlue passenger Katie Doebler, who spoke exclusively to CBS 2, recalled a more dramatic rant before Slater deployed the emergency slide to escape.

“He said, ‘to the (expletive) who just told me to (expletive) myself, go (expletive) yourself. It’s been a great 28 years. I’m outta here.’ And with that the whole plane gasps,” Doebler said.

Slater was later arrested at the Belle Harbor, N.Y., home he shares with his boyfriend, Ken Rochelle.

Rochelle would give no explanation for his partner’s behavior.

“Everyone will know in due time. So if you do me a favor, I have a medical condition and each and every one of you is causing me to have arrhythmia and I will pass out. Please leave me alone,” Rochelle said.

Previous Story: Judge Grants Bail For Ballistic JetBlue Attendant

Comments

1. karen Laurie says:

I wish I had been on the plane to cheer him on!

2. Mary says:

Anyone who works in the travel industry knows people are rude and self centered. Who is the women who caused this and why isn’t she being named, oh of course our liberal bias news reporting!

1. edwin says:

woman created this drama, all just because she used improper language first, she attacked him first using verbal abuse, he reacted to her lack of respect, abusive slant, and embarrassment because it was at his job and in front of all the people and he should not have taken it personally but he did…after all it shows we are human. I would not fire him but discipline him, and i would create a heavy fine for abusive behavior against personnel and rudeness on a plane.

3. freddy g says:

seems like those that think this guy is crazy are friends and relatives of the passenger. this guy is a hero!

4. New yorker says:

Jet Blue knows exactly who this mystery female passenger is. Jet Blue, along with the FAA, need to have a few words with her, along with any other passengers who witnessed the altercation. If I were her, I would be lawyered up by now.

5. David says:

He did what he had to do. People have treated him poorly probably and after 17 years he just had a enough . I think the stupid charges they are charging him with should be dropped . To many people across the country are on his side. Instead of picking on him for him blowing off steam and did not hurt any one , leave him alone. I dont know the guy but he just had enough of the rude people that are in this world and sometime we run into from time to time.

Lets be real, what i heard on the news he grab 2 beers and made the emergency slide open and then slid down the slide. What a great exit. 2 cheers for him please and also lets raise our drinks and toast him for a great exit.

Its like a scene from a movie !!!!

6. Matt says:

I’m always so impressed at the level of intelligence that is employed by readers. Seriously – did you morons forget how to spell, how to speak English? Read the lines – the flight attendant bailed on an aircraft. If that had been you on the plane, you would have been outraged! I can’t believe that this yahoo was in a position of customer service. Was he forced to deal with passengers? No. Was he forced to be a flight attendant? No. This guy made his decision to become a flight attendant, which involves customer service and neglected his responsibility on a flight. Regardless of the customer being at fault or not, his responsiblity is to the passengers, the plane and the safety thereof. You other yahoos that keep defending this moron are as ignorant as he is and you should be subjected to psychological evaluation as much as the flight attendant should. My advice to all of you – whatever the Bible says, DO NOT be fruitful and multiply. YOU are what is wrong with this country today. Thank God there are still some other sensible individuals out there who still believe that this kind of behavior should NOT be tolerated.

7. Baron says:

Steven Slater has done nothing wrong to diserve the arrests.What happends to the so called woman that started this case? She also needed to be arrested aswell.

8. HAK says:

JUST ANOTHER GAY EMOTIONAL, DRAMA OUTBURST SAW HE WAS GAY THE MOMENT I SAW HIS PICTURE

9. Carrie Pennington says:

Aren’t there more significant type news stories than this Bravo/Nat’l Enquirer type crap?

10. moee says:

well what happen if it is in the mid air he is going to open the door and jump???
    Not safe for everybody…

11. Sandeana says:

This flight attendant did not hurt anyone. He just had a bad day. He should not have been arrested, & taken to jail. And he should not lose his job either.

12. HAK says:

GAY GAY GAY IN NEEDOF MEDICATION, BET HE THOUGHT HE WAS FUNNY NOT FUNNY ANYMORE MR. GAY GUY

1. Sandeana says:

What does Mr Slater’s being gay have to do with anything? How is he any different than a straight flight attendant who is male?

13. Maggie says:

Flight Attendants are underpaid and subjected to rude and abusive passengers.
    Sliding down the emergency chute was not cool and could have put people in harms way. Steven being the Being the professional that he is (working in his current position for twenty years) a cooler head should have prevailed in this instance.

Flight attendants should be afforded combat pay for the verbal and physical abuse that they are subjected to.

14. Jo says:

What is going to happen to the MORON that hit the flight attendant and refused to sit down? Didn’t that idiot break any laws?

1. HAK says:

FEDERAL LAWS STATE THAT YOU MUST WEAR YOUR SEATBELT DURING TAKE OFF AND LANDING ONLY. GUY WAS IN THE CLEAR. AIRLINES CAN BE AND USUALLY ARE HARD NOSED AND IMPOSE HARSHER RULES THAN FEDERAL REQUIREMENTS FYI USUALLY PERSONAL AIRLINE RULES ARE VERY STRICT SO THEY DO NOT GET SUED

15. Joe,18 years with Pan Am says:

The passenger who gave Steven Slater a gash on the forehead should have been immediately arrested by federal marshals for failing to listen to flight rules and attacking a flight attendant. Why hasn’t she been arrested ???

It may be fortunate that Slater chose to only verbally express his frustrations and make a hasty, although unconventional, exit from the aircraft rather than attempt to detain the passenger that attacked him and have her arrested.

JetBlue should put flight attendant Slater on medical leave to deal with the physical and mental injuries he suffered due to the illegal actions of that passenger.

16. MAUREEN CHIRICHELLA says:

JOB WELL DONE. ALL MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU. BE STRONG, GOD WILL PROTECT YOU.

17. Theresa Ct. says:

The passenger started it but public profanity over the plane address system by an employee is wrong and I cannot support him.

18. Michael Young says:

Steven Slater is a Great Guy……He Requested a Transfer to the Western Hub of Jet Blue when his mother was diagnosed with lung cancer…..It would only be Granted with a Drastic Pay Cut……His father died of ALS….a dreadful disease…..Steven’s mother has lived across the street from me for 19 years….He is a very nice man…..He went to the same elementary school as my children.

19. Susan says:

What a scream for attention! Thousands of flight attendants fly every day and they are there for our safety. They are trained professionals and we rely on them to keep us cool, calm and collected on flights. I’m sure every flight attendant has wanted to do something like he did, but being a professional they never would. If something gets to you so bad then just sue the person who’s bothering you – don’t risk hurting the other passengers on board by deploying the chute. I thank goodness he wasn’t on Capt. Sully’s flight!

20. EML, NJ says:

Good Luck Louie!!!! What happens to the person that open the over head.They should be charged as well for being ruded and impatience

21. Rob says:

If it was a Actor or Actress they get away with it right there,because of money they have altogether. Let’s see whom bails this employee out of jail. I guess noone
    will.

22. Rob says:

This employee should not go to jail,but a hospital-mental health like Jamaica Hospital
    in Queens nyc very close to JFK Airport. Needs help dealing with problems.

23. JERRY , QUEENS says:

This guy should not be applauded, he committed a crime. tampering with the
    emergency chute could effect that aircraft’s next flite. he should be FIRED.
    people working under the aircraft could have been injured. you don’t reward
    bad behavior.

24. Rob says:

This jet employee broke the Law and noone should make this guy a hero at all.
    He could of damaged or hurt someone by going down a shoot from the plane.
    He needs Mental Health help-Maybe taken to a hospital for treatment.
    I see he needed to get his word out,but that’s not the way to go.

1. moee says:

YAP YOU ARE RIGHT ROB WHO LABEL HIM …. THE HERO????

25. Ginny Bandiera says:

If he had a bad day,he should have stayed home. How the attendant handled the problem ,was wrong from the start. Firing him is the right thing to do!

26. Annette says:

Forget the flight attendant: That is NO way for a passenger to behave! Will the passenger also face charges for not following proper procedure? Because she was not following orders, she could have also cause harm to other passengers. She deserves to go to court and face charges also.

27. Ingrid says:

Unruly passenger is responsible for this incident.
    Why is she not arrested?

28. genevieve schiefer says:

Flight attendant should be fired from jetblue. He acted improperly and cannot be trusted. I have no sympathy for flight attendant. This is not a way to behave.

1. James says:

this women is a peasant – she should be banned from flying – hopefully she was not flying for business – because if she was my employee shoud would be dismissed for failing to conduct herself professionally. her lack of control spells a whole different problem. She is unbalanced – if she had a drink she needs to address that problem- if she didnn’t she has a much bigger problem.

29. Iramsaran says:

I stand by the flight attendant, as a passenger I am also subjected to rude passengers when disembarking from the plane, I am usually stuck waiting for soemone to allow me out into the aisle. He should be given his job back and case dismissed by any right minded judge.

30. Danno says:

I’m with you Louie!!!!!

31. Louie says:

I think the passenger should be blamed for this. If the passenger hits the guy in the head with the suitcase and the flight attendant he was acting in self-defense. That should be assault to the crew member.

1. Jan says:

Get a life louie! I have had a flight attendant hit me in the head with someone elses bags! This guy was a jerk and did not care about anyone else on the flight but himself! If a passenger had acted like he was acting on the plane they would have been handcuffed and drug to jail! no exit out the side! This man needs to find a new job! He is why all flight attendants get a bad name!

2. Ginny Bandiera says:

He was NOT hit by the passenger,The overhead cabnet held the passengers suitcase,that FELL onto the attendant,,,NOT self-defense,,The attendant should indeed be FIRED!

3. HAK says:

SELF DEFENSE ARE YOU NUTS??? RUNNING TO THE BACK OF AN AIRPLANE AND THE PERP NOT FOLLOWING YOU THEN MAKING SNYDE COMMENTS AND BOOKING DOWN A SLIDE DOES NOT CONSTITUE A SELF DEFENSE YOU BOZO!!!

NOR WILL IT FLY IN COURT FYI…

Comments are closed.