All Lanes Open Following Fatal NJ Turnpike Wreck

However, Expect Significant Traffic Near Newark Liberty Airport

ELIZABETH, N.J. (AP/WCBS 880/1010 WINS) — A New Jersey Turnpike spokesman said all lanes have reopened following a multivehicle crash that killed one person and shut down southbound lanes of the turnpike’s outer roadway near Newark Liberty International Airport for more than six hours on Wednesday.

Turnpike Authority spokesman Joe Orlando said it may take several hours longer for traffic to return to normal. He said the crash backed up traffic for about 12 miles.

The accident occurred at about 1:30 p.m. Wednesday just south of Interchange 13A.

Two tractor-trailers, a dump truck, a box truck, a pickup truck and three cars were involved. Orlando said the driver of the pickup truck was killed. The victim’s name has not been released.

State police are investigating.
LINK: Traffic & Transit

LINK: Hear live 1010 WINS Traffic Reports

LINK: Hear live WCBS Newsradio 880 Traffic Reports

LINK: New Jersey Turnpike Authority

The New Jersey Turnpike Authority has the following detour advice, “A SUGGESTED ALTERNATE IS TO TAKE I-80 WESTBOUND, TO I-287 SOUTH BACK TO INTERCHANGE 10 OF THE NJ TURNPIKE.”

Comments

1. observer says:

Two things here: One, most of you here sound like a bunch of 10 year olds. You really need to take some grammer lessons. Two, you need to get off the cell phone when driving. Accidents like this would be avoided.

2. iRunThis says:

ALL drivers sux. passenger car and truckers !

3. Mari N. says:

How do you all know that some idiot in one of these vehicles wasn’t talking on the cell phone or even worse, texting while driving. Both people in trucks AND cars do that.

4. Anthony says:

New York drivers are the worst, I have lost count of how many times I’ve almost gotten into an accident with one.Been living in New Jersey for the past 20 years, too close to NYC for my own safety because I have to drive. In my opinion they should pay the tolls for crossing into NJ, just for the inconvenience of dealing with them. Dont get me wrong they’re great people, but as soon as they get in the driver seat they turn into mindless savages.

5. Driverone says:

I am a truck driver and believe that the responsibility to drive safely lies within all drivers, not just truckers. Typically, truck drivers have a better field of view than automobile drivers and can see further ahead. Yes it is true that many drivers tend to cut in front of trucks but do not realize that a truck simply cannot stop nearly as quickly as a car. Also, I see many drivers talking or texting on their cell phones which is so very dangerous, it only takes a split second for a tragedy to occur. So please, lets ALL be more responsible and careful on the road!!!

6. SHARY says:

I`M A DRIVER,I THINK TRUCK DRIVERS NEED TO SLOW DOWN.BUT I ALSO THINK THAT PEOPLE SHOULD`NT TRY TO CUT IN FRONT OF A TRUCK. THAT`S THE WRONG THING TO DO.IF I SEE A TRUCK CLOSE TO ME ON THE BACK I MOVE ASIDE AND IF IS NEXT TO ME AND HE HAVE THE SIGNAL LIGHT TO GO MY WAY I SLOW DOWN AND GIVE THEM THE SIGNAL TO GO AHEAD.PEOPLE TO HAVE THE WHEEL IN UR HANDS ITS NO JOKE.DRIVE SAFE

1. Lisa says:

I agree with shary. My boyfriend is a truck driver and I fear for him. I’ve gone with him on trips and I’ve gotten really scared because cars don’t care about cutting off big trucks and he has had to jam the brakes on. Like you I give big trucks the right of way, because like living. They can squash me like a pancake.especially in NY. They are the worst and fastest car drivers with out a care for anyone but themselves, only they drive like they don’t care whether they live or not. Which causes these kind of accidents.Its a real shame for the dead peoples family members of the person who did the cutting off. now look what happens.e

7. Sal says:

I think most of you idiots making these comments need to use SpellCheck.
    And stop commenting like you are texting.
    It makes you look like an ignorant 12 year old.

1. DanTe says:

Yes, Sal. Let’s nit pick on spellin and granmar. Dat dar shows you be real intelligent and contribute greatly to the discussion.

8. Danielle says:

I agree with Kris! Car drivers are very rude on the road. My husband is a truck driver and I fear for his life everyday. Don’t expect to traspass a moving truck and think its ok, HE MIGHT NOT SEE YOU and worse, TRUCK DOES NOT STOP ON THE DIME YOU PEOPLE. We all should be carefull and drive slower, but be more carefull around trucks ITS NOT THE SAME AS DRIVING A CAR!!!!

9. James says:

They really should create a law where if you are found to be the cause of an accident, you are fined heavily and insurance can/will not cover it. Everyone would drive safer for fear of receiving this fine.

10. Kristina says:

I’m a Driver. Truck drivers are Rude, and Very Rude. I drive about 100 to 400 miles a day and never feel save if truck is close by. They don’t care about others. They do what they want and unfortunately troops or police officers do not chase them. For police is easier to stop us, small cars drivers,😦. I see tens sedans stopped by police on the roads and only once in a while a truck….I suggest police officers doesn’t feel safe also, that why we, regular drivers have to “make living for troops and police officers”. Ashamed! I received speeding ticket not because I was fast but because a truck passed me on a crazy speed, but for police officer was easier to stop me, because we never can argue with police. Rules HAS to be CHANGED! Hope time will come.

1. chris pro trucker says:

Kristine, u don’t no what u r talking about, the rude n ignorant people r the car drivers. I get cut off constantly n I’ve come 2 expect it everyday from
      people like u. That’s y 2day happened.

2. Steve says:

At Kristina….Truckers on the contrary are mostly safe and care more about the roads and drivers in cars than most small passenger Vechicle do. I am not a trucker but worked in the business with truckers a long time and I must say you are wrong. Most of these guys love their jobs as they do their country. They are our eyes and ears around America.

3. phil says:

great grammar what do you drive a tricycle?

4. Joe says:

I have ben driving trucks since the mid 80’s and for all that time I have tried in vain to have the cars removed from the truck and buses lanes. You car operators can kill each other all you want, but please leave the driving to us professionals.

11. Casey says:

Connie is right, Nick. Maybe we need to dumb down the comments for you to understand. People get hurt when others drive to fast. MORE-ON

1. DanTe says:

Wrong Casey, people gets kill when slow T ARDS like you and Connie block the roads and stop unexpectedly for no reason. Sh\\ts like you cause the accidents and than drive off blithely.

12. Gillie says:

Sawwy

13. SNL says:

GILLIE!!!

14. Nick says:

This is what you get when you cut a truck off and expect tons of moving metal to stop on a dime.

And yes, “Connie”, they should all slow down to 20mph.
    Because the whole world has to dumb down to your speed.
    T ARD

15. CONNIE says:

Truckers and drivers NEED TO SLOW DOWN.

1. jehred says:

yah your tolltaly right and i almost got hit by a truck that was speeding through a red light

16. ahmed says: