Rep. Rangel, Supporters Respond To House Ethics Trial

NEW YORK (CBS 2/WCBS 880) — Rep. Charlie Rangel is speaking out about his ethics trial.

The House Ethics Committee recommended censure for the Congressman after the same panel convicted him of 11 violations, including failure to pay taxes and operating four rent-stabilized apartments in Harlem instead of just one.

Rangel responded to the case this weekend, posting an audio message on his Twitter page.

“Of course I was really taken aback and disappointed at the decision of the ethics committee. But I was gratified when I heard that in their report they agreed with what I’ve been saying that there was absolutely no evidence of corruption or personal gain found in the two-year investigation,” Rangel said.

While Rangel spoke out on Twitter, dozens of Harlem community leaders and New York lawmakers, including former Mayor David Dinkins, say the punishment doesn’t fit the infraction.

WCBS 880’s Monica Miller reports

The group said two long years of a House Ethics Committee investigation was enough punishment for the 80-year-old congressman, WCBS 880’s Monica Miller reported.

The committee convicted Rangel of 11 violations last week, including failure to pay taxes.

City Council Member Inez Dickens said censuring the Harlem Democrat is going too far.

“Congressman Rangel, my congressman, who was overwhelmingly reelected by the 15th congressional district, did nothing illegal,” Dickens said. “He had sloppy bookkeeping, yes. Illegal, no.”

Dinkins also said he didn’t think the punishment was fitting.

“If he is to be punished further – and I say further because I feel that he has already been punished enough – there’s nothing to be gained by seeking to further humiliate this great man,” Dinkins said.

The full House is expected to vote on the committee’s recommendation to censure Congressman Rangel sometime after the Thanksgiving holiday.

If the House votes to censure Rangel, he’ll be the first Congressman to receive the punishment in 27 years.

IN OTHER NEWS:

CLINTON, SCHUMER WEIGH IN ON AIRPORT PAT-DOWN DEBATE

NEW YORK CITY SEARCHES FOR NEW TAXI MAKER

PLANE LANDS SAFELY AT JFK AIRPORT; NO SIGN OF FIRE

FAMILY, FRIENDS HOLD RALLY TO HONOR DANROY HENRY

TEENS ACCUSED OF BUILDING SWASTIKA AT L.I. SYNAGOGUE

Comments

1. Charles Rangel says:

I’m sorry. Sorry I got caught, that is! My morals are as relaxed as my hair. Enjoy my teflon coating, suckas!

2. ApprxAm says:

The Renaissance is over.

Today, in my beloved, if not confused, Harlem, there was a rally. A rally in support of mediocrity; of challenged morality. They rallied for a twenty-term relic. A man who cares more about his undeclared property in the Dominican Republic, than the fact that he’s renting two apartments in a rent stabilized complex, depriving two families to opportunity to live in a safer, affordable place. A committee Chairman that controls the purse of this nation. But back to the rally.

Leadership for the people, in support of a lying, tax dodging hypocrite.

They ended the festivities by chanting “We Shall Overcome”.

Crime, poverty….treasonous public officials. Harlem is finally dead. Bad votes, bad results.

3. woody3691 says:

How is it possible to have 3 rent controlled apartments where none is your primary residence and that not deemed to be corrupt? How is it possible to not pay taxes on a Dominican Condo and that not be corrupt. Especially when you are chairman of the committee that writes tax legislation? This is a congresses version of the ‘blue wall’ protecting one of their own. Censure is just meaningless. Just an administrative slap on the wrist. What is especially galling is that Rangel is unrepentant and admits to no wrong doing other than sloppiness. Could the average citizen claim that defense against the IRS? Or against NYC Housing Administration that overseas rent controlled apartments? Does he still have the apartments?

4. erika schwelnus says:

Shame on you Charlie Rangel How about using the same example we did here in Illinois concerning the Governor’s Political Corruption. We hit him in his pocketbook, thru his ass in jail and took away his pension. Thats what happened to George Ryan and Roddy Blagoveich is next on the list

5. Paul Kohloff says:

throw his ass in jail

6. Spence Roman says:

I am anxiously awaiting notificiation from Professor Barack Obama that this can be lableled a ‘teachable moment. Its too bad America has lost its moral compass
    and soon to be Triple AAA Credit Rating under a mountain of debt. You think average Joe/Jane American Taxidriver, waitress, Doorman, SkyCap, Bell Hop,
    Car Valet is going to pay their fair share and declare those taxable gratuities when the DisHonorable Charles Rangel, former Chairman of the Ways and Means Committee Whar are they afraid of the Adam Clayton Powell Card.

7. Alex says:

Why has this case not being investigated by Manhattan DA? It’s criminal actions by knowledge including tax evasion, misrepresentation, misuse of public property, lying under oath, etc. Why does this case suddenly became just case of ethic violation, just misbehavior like at the kindrgarten? Where is Manhattan DA Cy Vance? Or he is capable to investigate just small business owners for $1,000 violation? Where is IRS? Where is NYS Department of Taxation? None of them need money?

8. MGR1 says:

IT IS AMAZING WHEN YOU DO THE MATH: 11 DIVIDED BY 13 = 84.61438%
    THAT MEANS, HE RECEIVED A “B” FOR HIS DECEIPT, LYING, AND MANIPULATION OF HIS POST TO GAIN …YES ..$$$$$….HE GAINED! BECAUSE HE DIDN’T PAY TAXES, SO THE GOVERNMENT LOST AND HE GAINED. JUST BECAUSE HE IS 80 DOEN’T MEAN WE ARE SUPPOSED TO HAVE PITY ON HIM. THE AMAZING THING IS THIS, HE DOESN’T EVEN SAY HE IS SORRY FOR WHAT HE DID, THAT HE WAS WRONG IN DOING SO, THAT HE SHOULD ACTUALLY LEAVE HIS POST BECAUSE HE DID WHAT HE DID. NO, HE HAS NO REMORSE, JUST ARROGANCE. WHAT A SHAME. I ACTUALLY LIKED HIM MANY YEARS AGO. A REAL SHAME………

9. Lester says:

His re-election is positive proof of how ignorant and just plain stupid the voting public in this country is. However, PC will never allow anyone in politics to state the truth. We can’t handle the truth !

10. Jack Grogan says:

We are suposed to be a nation of rules…..Bill Clinton also broke the rules….It is a shame that we the people…have become soo….non…caring about truth and honesty…..Every politician should be thrown out and non should be allowed more than four years….

1. Jacqueline Veneros says:

Bravo Mr. Grogan..at last some direct truth.

11. JLW says:

Are you kidding me? This man should be expelled from the House, and sitting in jail. There are countless of other tax cheats who are sitting behind bars now, whose offense was not nearly as bad or as wifull as his. When all is said and done, Charles Rangel was nothing but a crook, who sought to enrich himself at the expense of the American Taxpayer

12. annie b. says:

I don’t know how the committee could decide Rangel received no personal gain from his infractions. He lived in three enormous apartments and paid only slightly more in rent for them than a friend of mine pays for a one bedroom on the same floor. The management of the building permitted him to break down walls between the apartments–for a RENTAL. I know this, because his wife brags about it to other tenants regularly!

So Wesley Snipes goes to jail for three years for not paying taxes, and Rangel gets a slap on the hand. He’s humiliated? Boo hoo!

13. fed up says:

Charles please do us all a favor and retire with some class.

14. Erin says:

Otto , I am not sure why you feel that your comment about this mans tie is relevant, or of interest to anyone. I am ashamed of this mans behavior and take it personally.

15. Erin says:

His tie will not be what is remembered here, but for me his lack of responsible behavior, a sound moral compass, he as a leader must lead by example, what example has he given? his ability to abuse his power, to receive special treatment is clear, and I am ashamed and believe this is most likely just one small example of a much larger problem with our government as a whole. Politics and politicians should and are held to a higher standard, and should be punished with the same amount of power and influence as they have been given. The working American is represented by these people, who after all who are human and just as easily able to be influenced and swayed to abuse their money and power, as anyone else. I believe the American people are completely fed up with standing by and being silent, we have a voice and our voices should be loud and clear, we will not except this type of behavior , and will not allow this type of behavior to represent us the backbone, hardworking core of this country. I do not find this to be a minor infraction, as I pay my taxes every year and have for 34 years since I was 17 years old. I do not care about this mans past struggles because we all have our own stories of struggle, and continue to live our lives anonymously , and live our lives as law abiding Americans paying our taxes and struggling every day. Otto its not a joke, its an example of a much larger problem.

16. otto says:

i think his tie did him in. he has terrible taste in neckties. i remember chuckles here was a strong proponent of the draft at the start of the Iraq war. but in the end he will be remembered for this.

1. Hillary says:

Wow you are right! That neck tie is horrendous!…I think the picture above is a pic of his reaction after looking in the mirror!….you’d think after saving all that tax money he could afford a nicer tie!…..LOL

Comments are closed.