Mayor Gets Back On East River Bridges Toll Bandwagon

Bloomberg Follows Up 'Traffic Pricing' With Another Bombshell

NEW YORK (CBS 2/ WCBS 880) — Mayor Michael Bloomberg ignited another firestorm of controversy on Friday over East River tolls.

Just when you thought the plan was out of gas the mayor is bringing it back, reports CBS 2’s Marcia Kramer.

Bloomberg wants to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge. Well, not sell it exactly — just sell you on the idea of paying when you use it. He wants the same thing to happen on the Queensboro Bridge, the Williamsburg Bridge, the Manhattan Bridge, the Willis Avenue Bridge and all the other Harlem and East River crossings that currently allow you to enter the sacred island of Manhattan for free.

“Probably if you wanted to do it in this day and age you just toll all the bridges around Manhattan, not just a handful down below,” Bloomberg said.

The mayor’s pet project has raised its furry little head again as part of a new effort to get congestion pricing — now rebranded as “traffic pricing” — to raise money for the cash-strapped Metropolitan Transportation Authority. The new selling points are promises of bus and subway service restoration, payroll tax relief for suburban businesses and a fare rollback.

Related: Skelos Pledges To Block Congestion Pricing

“We could have reduced the cost of the fare because if you put in some labor-saving technology, which costs money, that’s where your real savings are,” Bloomberg said.

Ask New Yorkers and they have wide-ranging opinions.

“We should just have a big parking lot outside the city like Venice,” Forest Hills resident Gwen Leifer said.

“I don’t think it’s ever going to happen because they always say they’re going to give us something back. You never really see it,” added Laura Fritz of Bay Ridge.

“I don’t think it’s gonna work. A lot of New Yorkers are depending on their traffic, their cars to get in and out, especially for businesses,” said Chris Cruz of Maspeth, Queens.

“This may be a good idea,” said Neil Roberts of Carroll Gardens.

“Bad idea. No more money. I don’t want to spend any more money,” Park Slope’s Fay Sachpatzidis said.

A large group of public officials and business groups is currently drawing a new plan to sell this proposal, but, as usual, its fate rests in Albany’s hands.

This is the third time tolling the Harlem and East River bridges has been proposed as part of a plan to charge people to enter the central business district of Manhattan. Its success will ride on whether Gov. Andrew Cuomo goes back on a pledge not to raise taxes this year.

So far, there’s been no comment from Cuomo on the plan.

Do you think the mayor’s “traffic pricing” and East River bridges tolling proposals are good ideas? Let us know in the comments section below.

More from Marcia Kramer
Comments

1. David says:

Put tolls on all bridges!

2. Gary Baroni says:

I DIDNT AND WOULDNT VOTE FOR bLOOMBERG, MONEY MONEY MONEY . Everytime you turn around Bloomberg is taxing something, Were not billionaires like him .

3. Ali says:

KICK THE MAYOR OUT OF CITY HALL IMPEACH HIM

4. MOBESTR says:

WHY DONT THIS PRICK MAYOR TAKE OUT SOME OF HIS BiLLIONs AND GIVE IT TO freakin M.T.A //////////””””””””;;;;;;;;;;;;]]]]]]]]]]]================

5. tony says:

rich boys like this have no idea the impact something like this has on the average working person. i live in nj and have not been to nyc in over a year due to tolls and parking fees.

6. joe says:

Mein Kampf by Michael Bloomberg.They said we should have stopped hitler at munich.they also say history repeats it self

7. David says:

The middle class takes transit, all you dishonest blowhard commenters.

1. Felix Procacci says:

Yes, your right, look at the cars coming into the city on the BQE, LIE, and the Queensboro bridge, all those people are multi-millionaires and welfare cases.

8. Hot Blooded says:

When a middle class person threatens to leave NYC mayor Bloombag gets sexual pleasure feelings.

9. Hot Blooded says:

Hell take the new toll money and still not restore the bus and train routes they eliminated, plus thell still raise the fares. Bloombag should be forced to resign because he has no idea how to run this city without “nickel and dimen us to death.

10. SickOfThis says:

Raise money for the cash-strapped MTA??? Thousands of people take the MTA every friggin day. Think how much money they make off of us. I have a question: WHERE DOES IT ALL GO??? Because service is still crap, stations still look like crap oh and did I mention service is still crap? Raise money for this beautiful city; not for your own damn fat wallets, you pigs! Hope you bastards choke on all the money you’ve stolen from our city and its people!

11. Grey Maverick says:

I am sick of this. All the money the MTA brings in every year (Billions) and they are always cash strapped. I have a hard time comprehending and understanding this. They cut the number of employees at most stations, service is horrible and yet they are still strapped. I smell a RAT somewhere. Where is all that money going? Millions a day is still not enough? The mayor being as wealthy as he is, can not or will never fully comprehend the distress the average person is experiencing. I cannot wait until he not the mayor anymore. Freeze all pay raises all across the city for city workers.

12. Pest says:

I got an idea… Let’s kill the financial capital of the world. Then let’s let these horrible evil corporations take over everything so they can do their worst. Bloomie is an infiltrate. He should be hung for being so stupid and gullible. He takes orders from the death squads.

13. TheFreemasonsAreTheEnemy says:

GTF outta here!!! Exactly!! If they implement tolls on those tiny bridges i’ll just leave NYC altogether. Bye bye NYC. You can take the empire in the Empire Sate out of the equation. Cuomo is too late. No one with the option to leave will stay. Fk this I’m done with this ish. They keep taking our money, but they can’t figure out how to stop spending? How about getting the MTA to start trying to stop tying up the $ or come up with ways to stop or curb spending. Can’t they come up with incentives to curb spending? They don’t wanna. They wanna kill this whole government so the corporations can take over? Nahhh

14. Ronnie from Morris Park says:

How sad that this man was able to buy his way back into the mayors office. He won’t tax the rich but he’ll punch the middle class in the wallet time and time again. Spends a billion dollars on a one stop addition to to 7 line. He has destroyed 2nd ave with his idea of progress. Has the nerve to joke about the loss of 80 million dollars calling it a normal event on big project like City Time. I wonder how much is being lost on these two mega projects or as Billionaireberg say “slipped thought the cracks”

15. bill says:

Out of control is putting it lightly! I have an idea hire some more consultants. use the revenue from the tolls that will never get to the MTA.

16. Phil says:

If they put tolls on the east river bridges, I won’t go into the city and spend my money for bars, theater, zabars, essa bagels, etc. I’m not even getting by now financially, having to borrow from my next paycheck to pay for my immediate everyday expenses, so I’m running a couple of weeks behind all the time. Although I’d love to live in Manhattan I can’t afford to. Make it too expensive for me to even drive in for fun, & I might as well move out of the city altogether. It seems like they’re deliberately trying to make long-time residents, & in my case I’ve lived here all of my life, leave. Put up these tolls, Mr. Mayor, & you just might succeed. I have a much better idea: how about the Mayor moves back to Boston & leave the free bridges in and out of manhattan alone.

1. Heywood says:

Let me get this straight, you claim to live paycheck to paycheck, even borrowing money to cover basic expenses, but then you threaten not to spend money in NYC bars, restaurants, etc.

I’d like to know how you can afford to spend money in a restaurant if you have to borrow money just to cover basic expenses?

17. ADAM says:

I HAVE A MESSAGE FOR MAYOR BLOOMBERG: PLEASE KEEP THE BROOKLYN AND MANHATTAN BRIDGES FREE. PUTTING TOLLS ON THOSE BRIDGES WILL NOT BENEFIT THE PEOPLE OF NYC. ALL IT WILL DO IS GIVE PEOPLE ANOTHER REASON TO LEAVE NYC ALTOGETHER. THERE HAS GOT TO BE A BETTER WAY, MR. MAYOR. I LIVE IN AND WORK FOR NYC. I CANNOT SEE THE REASON WHY WE SHOULD PAY TO CROSS THESE BRIDGES THAT HAVE BEEN FREE FOR A LONG TIME. WE ALREADY PAY THE HIGHEST TAXES IN THE NATION. RENT, GROCERIES, GASOLINE, CLOTHES AND OTHER ITEMS ARE TOO EXPENSIVE AROUND HERE. THIS WILL HAVE AN ADVERSE IMPACT ON NYC. FOR THE SAKE OF THE RESIDENTS OF NYC, I RESPECTFULLY ASK THAT THE PLAN TO CHARGE DRIVERS TO CROSS THE ABOVE-MENTIONED BRIDGES BE WITHDRAWN. THE ANSWER TO NYC’s FISCAL CRISIS IS VERY SIMPLE: MAKE THE RICH PAY THEIR FAIR SHARE, THE MIDDLE CLASS AND THE VERY POOR SHOULD NOT SUFFER.

18. Tom T. says:

People ……. Wake Up !!!!!!!!
    Do the math on the current tolls.
    Ask where in H**l is all the current money going ????
    When you come up with the figures, there should be no potholes, roads and ramps smooth as silk, bridges should be plated in gold, others with fresh paint every year, (Jobs, anyone ??), etc. instead of lazy collectors sitiing, (sleeping?), in booths looking at my tires and telling me my wheels are too big.
    How come no-one has asked for a detailed report on the revenue collected and where it is dispersed?
    And don’t think it goes to maintainence.
    Mr Moneybags doesn’t need to tax the little people, get it back from the big people

19. Bill says:

How about a special tax on billionares like Bloomberg. That would raise money faster than a tax on a working class NYers.

20. Johnny says:

This guy is out of control.

21. Rey Fuentes says:

This will be another tax for people that must drive into Manhattan, of course it will not apply to those who spend their whole existance in Manhattan island. I say, let’s charge all those granola heads that love to bike all over the place. They are not paying towards the public transport system in the city. And if I may add, have the TA dismantled and rebuild with responsible individuals who will be accountable to us, the riders of the system.

22. Chris says:

Bad idea…..keep going after the middle class and we will all move out of the city and state

23. Felix Procacci says:

The mayor is NUTS. The problem with the MTA is they give out raises as fast as they take in money (Just like New York City). Last year the MTA gave an average raise of 2.4%, and then they announced service cuts. If you toll the bridges, the MTA will just see this as another cash cow, and give their people more money. Then when they run low again from their mismanagement, they will raise the toll rates. This vicious cycle has been going on for years in government agencies. We’ve been paying more and more and getting less and less. If the Mayor wants to increase taxes, I say he raises taxes on all billionaire Mayors of New York.

Comments are closed.