NEW YORK (WCBS 880) – Dozens of parents raced to pick up their children at a Long Island school after an awful smell made kids and teachers sick.
District officials told WCBS 880′s Sophia Hall they performed air quality tests and they believe the school is safe.
“At this time over five agencies have done air quality monitoring inside the school and found absolutely nothing,” said school administrator Gregory Miglino. “It does not mean that people are not having symptoms in relation to the odor or if they have asthma and such that they’re not being irritated. This time, we did not find anything in air quality that poses a threat to students or staff.”
WCBS 880′s Sophia Hall gets details from school officials and parents.
Authorities say the smell from a nearby landfill is what made people at Frank Long Elementary School in Bellport, Long Island sick.
One teacher was taken to the hospital and WCBS 880′s Hall noticed one little girl had towear an oxygen mask.
“I couldn’t breathe and I was scared,” said the girl.
Her mother was visibly upset.
“I have to take my child to the ER because that’s what her pediatrician said to do,” said the girl’s mother.
Ambulances, fire trucks and police cruisers surrounded the school to provide emergency assistance to those in need.
Some described the smell as a rotten fish odor, others said it was similar to exhaust fumes.
The school was not evacuated, but many parents picked up their kids anyway.