Frustrated NYC Biker Uses YouTube To Spread Message Of Bike Lane Issues

Where There Was A Statement To Be Made Casey Neistat, Hit It Head On

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A frustrated bike rider intentionally crashed into trucks, taxis, and even a police car on camera, but there was a message behind the two-wheeled madness that’s become a sensation on YouTube.

It’s the ticket that launched a viral video sensation – Manhattan filmmaker Casey Neistat was fined for riding outside of the bike lanes.

In his video, he made a painful point about blocked bike lanes, riding directly into the various obstructions blocking them, reports CBS 2’s Tony Aiello.

“They look much more dramatic than they were – the falls,” Neistat said.

In two days, Neistat’s video has netted more than 700,000 hits on YouTube.

“Everything we found, I crashed into,” he said. “I refused to leave the bike lane.”

It all began on a rainy day in May, when Neistat was ticketed while riding his bike on Second Avenue.

“I don’t feel like the bike lanes are really respected yet,” Neistat said.

He believes the NYPD is wrong to ticket riders outside lanes because the bike lanes are blocked on a regular basis.

Neistat spent an hour showing what strict adherence to bike lanes can lead to, crashing into cars, cones and other assorted obstructions.

CBS 2 asked the mayor about Neistat’s ticket.

“I don’t know if we gave a ticket out that we shouldn’t have,” Mayor Bloomberg said. “I haven’t seen the video, but generally speaking, you have to obey the laws.”

The law stipulates that riders must use bike lanes “whenever a usable path or lane for bicycles has been provided.”

For Neistat, the key word is “usable” and he ends his video with a point about the NYPD.

“I hope in time, when people see a bike lane, they’re like, ‘well, it’s a bike lane, I can’t obstruct that,’” he said.

He made his point in dramatic fashion, saving a crash into an NYPD cruiser – which was blocking a bike lane – for last.

Neistat said he didn’t end up with any injuries, but with a bent fork, his bike is no longer road-worthy. He said his experience as a skateboarder taught him how to take a tumble safely off a bicycle.

Please offer your thoughts in the comments section below.

More from Tony Aiello
Comments

1. Rhiannon says:

Deal with it biker bozo – this is New York, not Beiijing! NYC survived for centuries without these PCwe know what
    s best and F*** the rest bicyclist crowd who have taken over our city. That includes His HyperEuro Imperial Majesticness, Micheal Bloomberg who just doesn’t understand that New York is not London or Brussels.

1. Lou Bator says:

Bloomberger cannot understand New York because he was not born here, he was born and raised in Massachusetts. Bloomer does not have NYC in his blood. He has proven that you can buy elections, but you cannot buy common sense.

2. Robert Mack says:

Last Memorial Day, I saw bike lanes were blocked with a lot of pedestrians. Why just issue tickets to bikers? Why dont the NYPD issue tickets to jaywalkers too? You can find them in the whole of Manhattan. A monetary goldmine, Mr. Bloomberg! They are a nuisance without due regards to other road users.

3. p8nt says:

COOL STORY BRO!!!!!

MORON!

4. JohnQPuclic says:

Coward and loser who committs crimes and uses ALL CAPS

Hope I catch slashing tires so I can make a citizen arrest

5. stonyman says:

If anything, this biker and his youtube video show why bike lanes were a stupid idea to begin with. They may (arguably) work in the outer boroughs but Manhattan is already so busy and congested, taking away valuable roadway and parking spaces for bike lanes is a waste of our tax dollars.

1. mike says:

No,not really.

6. jerk says:

my dog, who is legally on a leash, lunges at illegal bike riders on the sidewalk and I let her. She grabbed a food delivery right out of the guys hand who was riding in the sidewalk the other day. He yelled and screamed at me but took off when I said I was going to call the police. Its going to take a death or a very serious accident and a ton of lawsuits to fix this problem.

7. What a she-man! says:

@SLASH

Gosh, are you an internet tuff-guy? That is so cool!

8. nyc says:

I have seen hundreds of hispanic delivery guys on bikes that don’t obey any laws, hell they don’t even speak english ! My doorman the other day was yelling at a biker to get off riding on the sidewalk, the biker smiled at him and said no english ! Please.

9. rob says:

What an a-hole.

10. NYC born Cyclist says:

Why don’t you go eff yourself? D1ckbreath.

1. Wally Paulnuts says:

If you jaywalk, you have only yourself to blame for the injuries you receive, capiche?

11. GREG says:

REALLY HOW MANY BIKE RIDERS IN THIS CITY DO YOU SEE OBEYING THE LAWS. THEY DON’T STOP FOR RED LIGHTS, STOP SIGNS, OR PEOPLE CROSSING THE STREETS. ON PROSPECT PARK WEST THE BIKERS HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY INSTEAD ON THE PEOPLE CROSSING THE STREET…THIS CITY IS GOING DOWN THE TUBES AND THEMORE BIKE LANES THEY PUT IN THE WORSE IT GETS.

1. NYC born cyclist says:

@GREG

I agree that the bike lanes are not needed. Bike safely, and you are as safe as can be. Just keep an eye on oblivious jaywalkers, they’re the real menace. I routinely ‘buzz’ jaywalkers to give them that wake-the-eff-up call they so sorely need.

1. Watch out, mother-fudger! says:

Got you in my sights.

12. Jimmy says:

Not alot of sympathy for bicyclists here. They should ask themselves why.

1. Micha says:

lol @ “surburban terrorists”

The bike riders in NYC really are a menace. I saw one almost get hit by a car a few weeks ago because the car was waiting to make a LEFT HAND TURN and the bike rider decided to ride around it on the LEFT SIDE of their car. They turned and he rode right into the side of their car.

2. Trudy says:

I use jaywalkers as brakes.

3. mike says:

Suburban terrorists? Are you kidding me? Look to car driver murderers first

13. NL Cohen says:

This sounds more like a publicity stunt, then anything else. And it worked! 700,000 hits on “You Tube ” will certainly put this guy on the map for a while. Or, at least until he comes up with another cause, and publicity stunt he can have filmed. The real issue here is the fact that too many bike riders feel that they are being maligned, and misunderstood. But, as far as I’ve witnessed over the years, they often ride their bikes recklessly, with a pedestrian be damned attitude. I hate to admit it, but once I saw the aftermath of a bike rider laying on the street, injured after having hit the back of a cab. You know what? I felt he got what he deserved. How many people has he almost hit, or possibly injured over the years. Maybe someday, bike riders and pedestrians can coexist amiably, But quite frankly, I’m not too optimistic about that. There’s must be a certain thrill in knowing that while speeding along on your bike, you have unquestionable power over others. You have the power to go through red lights. The power to ride on the sidewalk. The power to go the wrong way – all kinds of power. And if you want an extra special thrill, you can barrel through a crosswalk just as a group of pedestrians walk across street, forcing both young, and old alike to jump out of your way. But, keep one thing in mind, that by the the law of averages, if you keep doing that, at some point your luck may run out. For your sake, I hope it doesn’t. But for the sake of many innocent pedestrians, I could care less if it does happens to you.

14. The Hoinesty says:

The bike lanes have become a nightmare for pedestrians. Time and time again bikers zoom through bike lanes even when the light is red! At intersections where the red light is in the middle of the block, bikers yell at pedestrians to move out of the way! Every corner of a bike lane should have some sort of speed bump to slow down bikes and keep the pedestrians safe. Bloomberg is very ant-car, at least for those who have cars outside off Manhattan, why people voted this man in is beyond me.

15. Bell Toller says:

Mr. Neistat needs to be charged with reckless cycling. He already admits breaking the law not riding in the bike lanes

16. SteveL says:

Riagray–you are right, but there are cyclists out there who are following the laws (like me after my 300 ticket for running red light) and with more and more tickets issued hopefully there will be more and more following the law. to bring up a couple of points: cyclists aren’t required to wear a helmet, though of course it’s the smart thing to do…also a bike lane may look free of obstructions but if the street is broken up or covered with gravel/glass it’s still not safely passable with a bike and the cyclist has the right to ride in the car lane and last, if there is no bike lane cyclists have the right to ride in the lane with cars.

1. KPMc says:

Are you sure about the helmet law? I thought it became required for adults recently as well as children which it already covered.

17. Murray Hill says:

What a freakin idiot. This video totally sums up exactly why they need to be ticketed when they’re not following the law. He got a ticket for riding outside the bike lane when it was completely open and unobstructed. What does that have to do with riding into things when the lane is blocked? If you’re riding outside the bike lane briefly to avoid something blocking the lane, then you don’t get a ticket. All the video shows is that the guy has no common sense and that he doesn’t possess the discretion to determine whether or not the bike lane can be safely used at that point in time. It’s a very simple concept really. You have to use the bike lane if it’s there and usable. If something’s blocking it, ride around the obstacle and then return to the bike lane. The problem is these idiots want to be able to ride wherever they please and they want everyone else to just get out of their way. Through red lights? Down crowded sidewalks? The wrong way against traffic? All fair game as far as they’re concerned. But god forbid there’s a safety barrel warning them of a danger. “I guess we should just ride into it huh?” The fact that they can’t tell the difference between a usable bike lane and an unusable one should speak volumes about the mentality of these whack jobs.

18. sammt622 says:

THESE BIKERS ARE RUINING MY CITY. THEY COME FROM OUT OF TOWN (SMALL TOWNS TO BOOT) AND TRY TO CHANGE THE CITY. THIS IS NEW YORK, LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT. GO BACK TO THE LITTLE YUPPIE HICK TOWNS U CAMR FROM. THE ONLY BICYCLIST I CARE ABOUT ARE NIKE MESSENGERS. THEY WROK HARD AND DESERVE BETTER. ALL U CHEAP, LIVING BEYOND YOUR MEANS BIKERS – SCAT

1. badman says:

eat another dozen donuts, lard but

1. badman says:

Imbibe my man-juice.

2. badman says:

Inhale my butt-stank.

19. Goblin says:

He should be held liable for the body damage he caused by delibrately crashing into property like the cab and police car. I’m glad the city is issuing tickets to these out of control cyclists. The city should sue Transportation Alternatives for encouraging reckless riding by cyclists who don’t obey the law!

20. Riagray says:

Too bad crybaby. I was a big supporter of bikers until I started driving my kids to school every day and saw how overly entitled they are. My “car” lanes are block every 500 feet; I still have to signal and stay off the sidewalk and out of the bike lanes. Bikers still wear no helmets, don’t signal, weave in and out of traffic, run red lights, drive in the middle of the auto lane slowing down traffic even when the bike lane is free, hold up auto traffic while they’re disobeying various laws and fail to signal. The rules apply to you, too. If you want a fun, smooth, uninterrupted ride, get off NYC streets and go elsewhere.

1. joe says:

this all coming from someone who has kids that take up room and put more strain on the already over populated society…….. use birth control and you wont clog manhattans streets with your car driving some brat to school

1. KPMc says:

Kids that take up room? Really? This is your argument?

Pathetic self-entitled anarchists from Ohio. Go the flip home to your daddy’s business that you ran away from. We all know you’ll return there someday so do us a favor and make it sooner rather than later you fake fly-by-night pseudo NYers!

2. joe says:

@KPMc

Shine my helmet, buttmunch.

3. Rhiannon says:

This one is for Joe:
        How dare you say such a thing you repulsive, selfish, self hating waste of a quareter ounce! Think on this you petty mean spirited creature: If your parents thought the same you do, you would not be here writing such vile dribble.

Comments are closed.