NJ TRANSIT TRAIN CRASH: Latest | Transit Changes | Video | Photos | NJ TRANSIT | 1010 WINS | WCBS 880

NYPD Ticketing Bicyclists Running Red Lights

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — New York City police have been taking their ticketing blitz to bikes.

According to the New York Post, the NYPD have doled out 230 tickets this year to bicyclists who run red lights in Central Park. The riders have also been ticketed for other violations.

“What’s the fun in that,” Laskey told the Post. He made the remark after getting a $270 ticket for running a red light.

It’s not the first time the NYPD has targeted bicyclists. In October of 2010, they launched a ‘Rogue Rider’ ticketing blitz in Park Slope.

Tickets have long been a controversial topic for the NYPD – they’ve been accused of having quotas.

The addition of bike lanes to New York City streets has also stirred intense debate.

Should bicyclists be able to ride uninterrupted around the Central Park loop? Sound off in our comments section.

Comments

1. Martin says:

A car stopped at a red light, ready to turn right, when a bike came zipping up behind it, on its right, and zipped right through the red light. That bike rider is lucky to not be flat as a pancake. Obey the law. Save a life — your own.

2. Peter Derrick says:

This morning I heard some bike rider complain on CBS news radio that he had gotten a traffic ticket for running a red light in Central Park.

I myself have almost gotten hit several times by idiot bike riders who seem to think they are immune from traffic laws. In fact, like all vehicles, they are required to stop at red lights.

The person on the radio this morning complained that pedestrians were not being given jaywalking tickets, while bike riders were being targeted. When was the last time you saw a pedestrian knock down a biker, causing the rider serious injury?

The New York City police should be commended for ticketing these dangerous people.

Peter

PS: I think bike lanes are great. I just think bike riders should realize that they are not above the law.

3. Jono says:

They’d likely make more money ticketing all the pedestrians who do not obey the traffic lights.

4. Sarah says:

“Tom Laskey, the former president of the NY Cycle Club, said stopping at red lights in the park ruins the riding experience. “What’s the fun in that,” Laskey told the Post.”

How about getting hit by a car? Would that ruin your riding experience and would that still be phone. This idiot needs to grow up.

As has been said by many, they need to be doing this everywhere, not just the park. I am sick of hearing little bells and people yelling to get out of the way when I have the right of way to cross the street. Bikers always act as if they own the road. Their pants are cutting off all circulation to their brains, obviously!

5. Jimmy Oh says:

The nypd, has to achieve their quote plain and simple. Also they want to issues tickets because bicycle riders are easy targets.

Besides, the nypd le can get out their expensive police cars and to burn off some weight. Look at their NYPD salary!!!!

6. Big Nard says:

Hate those park cyclist. They think they own the park. Take that ticket and stop crying.

7. La'Qwanzaa McBlumpkins says:

When I am jaywalking, I don’t need to be looking for bikes, they need to be looking for me and my fat ass.

8. jerseyjoey says:

Thought to get a traffic ticket you needed to be a MOTOR Vehicle that is registored, insured and inspected by the state. SHUUsshh i spoke to soon now they will ticket you for that next, Only in NYC. I use to think New Jersey was Crazy.

1. Auburn Dale says:

No motor needed. As long as you’re a VEHICLE (which a bike is, by virtue of its wheels), the traffic laws are supposed to apply.

However, by now those laws have probably LAPSED due to the city’s aggressive non-enforcement.

1. Joe H says:

So would a person in a wheelchair be ticketed under the same ordnance as well?

9. Guest says:

Well, it is about time. Maybe PD can also start ticketing riders who ride against traffic flow. I have seen it numerous times when a pedestrian was looking in the direction of oncoming traffic to be almost hit by a rider going the wrong way as the pedestrian thought it was safe to cross. And for the riders who think riders should ride any way they want, they might talk to the families of pedestrians who have been seriously injured or killed by riders who thought that way. .

10. Millionaire Bruce Wayne says:

Idiot jaywalking pedestrians cause most accidents in Gotham.

1. Joe Blow says:

No, it’s you jet car traveling too fast and running around around without any lights!

11. NYCWOLF says:

People riding bicycles DO NEED to follow the laws as bicycles ARE vehicles. The NYPD should not target just Central park. Ticket ALL riders who ride on sidewalks, crash into people in crosswalks, go wrong way on one way streets. If NYPD is going to enforce laws, they should do it CITY WIDE. Otherwise its no different than racism

1. nycemployee says:

I 10000% agree, they should ticket them. when i crossing street, I have to watch for cars, buses and these small bicylce flying out of nowhere. they really do need to stop at red right. look at amsterdam, all bikers follow rules, not just cars.

12. Proud Cyclist says:

Cyclists are only objecting to being ticketed for running lights in Central Park WHEN THE PARK IS CLOSED TO VEHICULAR TRAFFIC. None of the recent articles point this out, I wonder why. And what is the point of closing the park to vehicular traffic if park users have to obey laws that are meant for vehicular traffic?

1. Michael H. says:

Those lights are there so that people walking through the park can safely cross the roads within the park. Why should pedestrians taking a stroll have to dodge bikes?

1. wkgreen says:

Why can’t pedestrians stroll on one of the many foot paths that criss cross the park all over the place? Go have a picnic by a lake where you won’t be bothered with bikes. You have no business strolling in the roadway anyway. But cyclists have no where else to go.

2. JB says:

Agreed. I also think that we riders can and should be capable of yielding to crossing pedestrians in such a situation. I’ve got no problems with stopping for people, but sitting at a light on a one way street with no cars driving on it or pedestrians crossing is just… stupid. It could be as simple as: Pedestrian in crosswalk, don’t ride through it.

13. C.J. says:

NYC sucks

1. badman says:

constructive and informative, CJ. I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

14. Bloomberg's Thugs says:

“Police defend the move, saying a bicycle is a vehicle and when it’s riding around the 6-mile loop in the park, traffic laws apply.”

Okay, if the above statement is true, then why only in the park? What makes the park different from other public roads? In other words, why would traffic laws apply only in the park? To make sense, the traffic laws are applicable to all public roads. So are the police not enforcing them outside the park because enforcing them in the park is easier? Sounds like shooting fish in a barrel.

15. bb says:

this is a heinous crime LOL

16. Mike says:

Yes how ever there are a few spots they should slow down , 90 st on the east side, traven on the green, al lot of peopel cross at thses spots.

17. Ian says:

Cars should be forbidden in Central Park at all times of year, just as they are during the summer months.

18. Josh says:

There are only a few traffic signals for bicyclists in the park. It’s not a veldrome either, it’s a park. So if you don’t stop and get caught, then you have to pay the fine. It may seem petty, but it’s justfiable. Now if they would just enforce jaywalking rules in Midtown or Canal Street, then we could really close the budget gap.

19. Fenton Cheswick says:

I wonder how many cyclist/pedestrian accidents are the result of jaywalking?

1. Ralph D says:

Or texting or talking on the cell phone while walking ?

20. PaPa Joe says:

In my area, LI, people actually ride their bicycles on the sidewalks and I don’t means youngsters whose moms probably told them to be careful..On the weekends there are bicycle clubs having rallies on our main road (I live in a picturesque area of the Island). Heaven help you if you try to cross the road and they are barreling along trying to beat the stop light. I’m certainly not saying all bicyclers, many I’ve observed obeying the traffic laws as I walk along, on the sidewalk, but enough to be a problem. We don’t have the funding to increase the village constables so we live with it. Good for the NYPD.

1. badman says:

LI? Who freaking cares? stop taking up space here.

21. JOE DELPO says:

ITS ABOUT NYPD CREATING JOBS FOR THEMSELVES. BUSY WORK.

22. HAL says:

Red Light ticket for cyclists? If they do not pay, how you are going to enforce it? Confiscate their bikes or take away their bike riding privileges? Another moronic half measure concocted by idiots in City Hall and Police Department.

1. CSI says:

I got a ticket for crossing on the red with my bike. They actually suspend your licence if you don’t pay. And the ticket is not cheap.

23. Mr. Armenia says:

Its about time the NYPD is doing their job and ticketing these out of control savages.

1. CSI says:

That was uncalled for. We are just as bad as the people who jaywalk every second of the day even when they see a car coming down the block and choose to walk anyway. Or those people who don’t see a car and choose to jay walk even those they see cyclist coming down a street. If people expect cyclist to obey the lay how about pedestrians doing the same.

1. Mr. Armenia says:

CSI peedestrians to agreed

24. jnb757 says:

I ride a bicycle and just like a car, we have to obey traffic laws for our safety and the safety of others..if they want to ride without stopping for lights? They can go to the country… of course there they will have to stop for animals crossing the road and probably will still complain..
    For the safety of your fellow Ny’ers go to a Velodrome if you do not want to stop..

25. IZZY says:

To Cyclist Tom Laskey: Try being a pedestrian in the Park and crossing with a walk sign only to be bombarded w/non-complying bicycles!

1. Proud Cyclist says:

I’m a cyclist and a pedestrian in Central Park. Unlike most pedestrians, I look before I cross and if I see a cyclist coming, I wait until they pass. And when I ride a bike in Central Park I see pedestrians cross wherever they want often without looking. Lights are irrelevant, I’m looking out for random unpredictable pedestrians. Adding lights to that equation won’t make pedestrians the least bit safer, if anything, the opposite.

26. Rocky says:

They should do it in the streets where people are crossing and they are not stopping, especially when they are zig zagging between cars Shi!!!!!!!! Heads

1. badman says:

and they be zigzagging yo mama and she like it

Comments are closed.