Food Fight Heats Up Over Pot Luck Cafe Food Truck On Upper West Side

NEW YORK (WCBS 880) – A food fight on the Upper West Side is getting nastier.

Residents living on West 68th Street near Broadway say the Pot Luck Cafe food truck takes up parking spaces and runs a noisy generator.

Dorchester resident Barbara Feldman says she has called the authorities but so far no action has been taken.

“I think that it’s unfair of anybody, no matter who it is, to invade a street and assume that it’s their property,” she says. “I have stopped the DOT. I have called the police station. I’ve gone to the Fire Department. Everyone says they’ll look into it. You know, it’s just an abuse.”

WCBS 880’s Marla Diamond On The Upper West Side

The truck is owned by Korean war veteran Edward Prokopiak, who says he’s already been chased from a spot around the corner.

“I served my country sixty years ago. I’m an 82-year-old veteran. I earned this license and I’m going to stay there whether they like it or not,” he said Tuesday. “I was told that one of the tenants in the building [across the street] said they did not want a ‘ghetto truck’ in the area. It’s not a ghetto truck.”

RELATED: CBSNewYork Guide To NYC’s Best Food Trucks

Co-op resident Carol Green doesn’t see a problem.

“My understanding is the city has given him all his permits and I don’t have an objection. He’s just trying to make a living,” she says.

Evelyn Walsh is a food truck fan.

“I find them very convenient. You don’t have to go into a store. They’re right there and I think they’re great,” she says.

Both sides agree on one thing. The rules governing street vendors need to be clarified.

More from Marla Diamond
Comments

1. Blimpie Debased says:

And the other restaurants that are in the area who pay rent really love
    that this vendor can pull up and just be in business.
    My older Brother served in the US Army in the Korean war and he is dead so what does the military have to do with this? These food trucks are getting numerous
    and should pay to use the street a rent equal to the rent our shark landlord’s
    get in a building. Roach Coach Rents, cool thought.

2. Bruce Goldensteinberg says:

Those in this article are nothing more than anti-American lowlives. This man put his life on the line for ALL of us and now you want to spit in his face? all those who savage him on this board are no different from those who spat upon returning heros from Viet Nam. I wish i could find you people and get in your face!

1. dave says:

Please don’t get in my face Bruce. That would be very very scary for me.

3. nathan says:

Up at 559 just to impersonate me? Dude that IS sick lol.

1. nathans brother says:

lol

4. NaRd says:

Hey guys! what’s up. I’m just joining in. I’m black, my name Nard and I think y’all are being dumb. I just wanted to say HEY to all you haters, cut it OWT

5. Yup says:

This man cannot afford to live on Social Security because over the years the politicians spent all the money. He has done eveything he is required to do under city codes to own and operate this truck. About time an American Citizen is allowed to operate one of these roach coaches. Now if we can just get rid of the illegal ones then maybe he can actually earn some money for his efforts.

1. debbie says:

I agree Yup. But his food isn’t organic, so he should move the truck.

1. KPMc says:

beg pardon? You don’t like his food so he should move? It’s not organic? Elitist trash!

2. NaRd says:

I agree

3. NaRd says:

with debbie

2. debbie says:

he should have vegan options, he sounds like a chauvanist pig!

6. Devenio says:

CBS YOU SUCK! LOOK AT ALL THE RACIST YOU HAVE ON THIS SITE.

1. evensteven says:

NYC subway you suck! look at all the racist blacks you have on your trains! always preaching hate towards whites!

1. joey says:

now now, guys we all know that race has nothing to do with this guys truck, Devenio, we dont appreciate klan members on the site so chill out with that anti-black talk

7. Devenio says:

Hey reasonableguy… Please tough guy… Post your real name and address… I wanna come over and say hello to a fellow klan member.

1. ted says:

Hey Devenio, if youre a klan member you better keep that garbage to yourself, we dont like biggots here in nyc

8. Devenio says:

Hey, if you don’t like truck, move. Its a free country.

9. cindy says:

this guy urinates in the food!!

1. JustSaying says:

Only in yours Cindy, because he knows how much you love it!

1. Big Nard says:

That’s funny.

2. Big Nard says:

JustSaying that’s funny, but you never see these street vendors go to the bathroom. I bet that habib dude showers once a week. If that.

10. paul says:

this guy sounds as dumb as they come, no wonder he fought a rich mans war

1. Sonny says:

THat time would put in under the Korean conflict. Where do you tie together Communism to wealth?

1. paul says:

HMMM lets see, have you ever heard for the military-industrial complex? wow you are no brighter than he is Sonny boy!

2. ham07 says:

Paul you aren’t that swift either.
      Military industrial complex was coined in 1961 when Eisenhower left office. This was about the cold war, and weapons aresenals.

The Korean war ended in 1953 and was a war in idealogy, it was not a rich’s man war. Back to school for you or go to Iraq, that my friend is a rich man’s war. Hippie wannabee

1. paul says:

Yes, Ham, the military industrial complex is something that only came about in 1961………moron…………the concept has been around for thousands of years just because it was coined in american pop culture in 1961 that doesnt mean it never existed before that……RICH PEOPLE HAVE BEEN PROFITING FROM WAR SINCE THE DAWN OF MAN YOU STUPID BRAINWASHED MORON (World War 2??)…….wow you must be from NJ or republican or both!

2. joshua goldenbloom says:

“a war in ideology?” haha thats the funniest thing ive heard all day…….yes Ham, its ideas that shape the world….it has nothing to do with power or wealth

amazing

3. ham07 says:

Paul,
        You are the brainwashed ass, the war in Korea was fear of having an Eastern bloc in Asia. Wealth was the main reason for war in asia, it was fear of communism. Stop trying to sound like an intellect with your MIC and stick a shell up your but and light it up. The man fought a war for this country show some respect you moron.

4. ham07 says:

yes Josh if it wasn’t for the morons that stormed the beaches on D-day in WW2 your genetic line might have ended in Aushwitz. You thankless puke. Amazing….There was no idealogy to free Europe from the Nazis, it was all about wealth. Wealth for the US in WW2 was an afterthought and spoils of war. Roosevelt did not declare war with $ signs on his mind.

You and Paul should get a room together and play skin flute and hide while the men take care of the business.

11. josh goldman says:

So because this moron was dumb enough to fight for this country, that means he gets to cause noise and air pollution?? to people who pay more in rent each month than he earns from that piece of garbage

1. IgnoranteElephante says:

“So because this moron was dumb enough to fight for this country” I would expect such a comment from a josh goldman.

1. nathan says:

while i think josh should show more respect for a former member of the military, i also think you should lose the jew-hating comments like ” I would expect this from a Josh GOLDMAN”. Nazi sympathizer.

2. josh goldman says:

thats because goldmans are too smart to fight, but we sure love to accept bail outs!

3. IgnoranteElephante says:

Gee nathan, I don’t think that I ever said anyth
        ing anti semetic. You calling me a Nazi sympathizers is more hateful than the Upper West Side calling the food cart a ghetto cart. After all, the Nazis engineered the systematic extermination of an entire people from Europe. Not I did I not sympathize with anything remotely resembling a Nazi ideology, but I also did not say anything anti Jew.

It appears to be another case of the pot calling the kettle black. You should stick to posting about asking the moderator to censor the posters because we know how fond you are of prior restraint.

Hey, isn’t nathan a Hebrew name. Ah, I digress!

2. KPMc says:

Fighting for his country is not dumb. The fact that YOU get to enjoy the freedoms he fought for… now that’s the real travesty.

3. KPMc says:

Elephante…

If you are going to say something at least have the nads to own it.

You said… “I would expect such a comment from a josh goldman.”

now if you didn’t mean “I would expect such a comment from a jew.” then I apologize but you really should clarify what you intended.

But to me it’s pretty clear what you meant… and even more pathetic that you don’t have the stones to admit it.

1. nathan says:

KP — Elephant Dung is a coward plain and simple. Hes throws bigotry out there and then runs away. Bad enough to be an anti-semite but to be a sissy on top of it – wow.

12. nathan says:

“I was told that one of the tenants in the building [across the street] said they did not want a ‘ghetto truck’ in the area.” “Ghetto truck” : Code for racist.

1. Nocode Here says:

code? what code is there for self respect? not shooting at each other and not walking around with our azzzs hanging out of our pants? no one is hiding anything, you people , you people , you people, stay in your stinky neighborhood and I will stay in mine.

2. davd says:

which race nathan? because their are all kinds of ghettos from all races….so please tell me what race the person was targeting….you moron

3. nathan says:

Funny how the KKK members here show their true colors so easily. I pity anyone who knows you, and most of all I pray for your families.

1. IgnoranteElephante says:

Are those who self proclaim to be from the “ghetto” racist too, nathan?

2. nathans brother says: