Mother Accused Of Holding 10-Year-Old Bully While Twin 7-Year-Old Daughters Get Revenge

Madness At Peekskill Youth Center; Father Accused Of Hitting Bully With Chair

PEEKSKILL, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — Police said it was no way to resolve a conflict.

A youth center worker and his wife, worried about bullying, face charges for helping their daughters fight back, CBS 2’s Tony Aiello reports.

Latena Fitzgerald denied any wrongdoing after a dispute at Peekskill’s Kiley Youth Center, where she took her 7-year-old twins, Aniya and Amiya, to confront a 10-year-old girl over alleged bullying.

“I did not even touch her! Only thing I said to her was to leave my kids alone,” she said.

Police said words got heated and then things turned physical.

“The 10-year-old alleges she was held by the mother of the other girls, and the parents allowed their two daughters to assault her while she was being held,” Peekskill Police Chief Gene Tumolo said.

Cops said Fitzgerald’s husband, Samuel Randolph, threw a chair that hit the 10-year-old in the back.

Randolph works at the youth center. The director said it was appropriate for cops to file charges.

“Any time children are involved with safety you have to protect them,” Jasper Cain said.

“It just sends such a terrible message when kids see parents behaving in this way,” Chief Tumolo added.

Fitzgerald said she and Randolph have talked repeatedly to the alleged bully and her mom, and thought it was time for their kids to fight back.

“He told Aniya to hit the girl back and that would be the end of it and for her to leave her alone. The little girl got out the chair and slapped my daughter, right in front of us. That’s what caused the big outbreak,” Fitzgerald said.

Everyone involved lives in the same public housing complex. Fitzgerald said to help defuse tensions she has sent her daughters to live with family in Connecticut.

The couple was hit with endangerment charges and a restraining order to keep away from the 10-year-old.

The accused couple is now waiting to find out if Randolph will lose his job at the youth center.

Please offer your thoughts in the comments section below.

More from Tony Aiello
Comments

1. dave says:

Had a kid bullying my son when he was 10. I confronted the brat at his school and informed him that the next time he touched my son, my son was free to beat him senseless! I also told him my son was in karate, was taught only for self defense and I was giving him permission and that I would also follow up with the police at his parents house! He never bothered my son again.

2. Diggler says:

It’s a good thing that 10 year old got beat by the twins. i bet she won’t bully them again. Mission accomplished good job.

3. tnpitgal says:

Bad Parents; Bad Children…IIt’s simple.

4. Avi says:

Rob in the Hood:

Don’t twist my words around. I did not suggest doing anything to stop people from becoming parents, only that students should be educated on how to become good and effective parents. This should be done by clergy and in the school systems. Do you think G-D is happy with the way these dysfunctional people turn out, torturing and killing those who are really His children.

5. Lauryn says:

It sounded to me like the 10 year old probably became violent and the twins’ parent was holding her away from them, even before I read that the mother said that the 10 year old had slapped the other child. The 7 year olds probably took that opportunity themselves to try to hit the bully. Of course the bully is going to try to spin it that she didn’t do anything wrong and the mother just held her back for no good reason other than to let the 7 year olds hit her.

6. Avi says:

To take this situation even further, my observation is that it is so easy to become a parent, but being a good and effective parent is quite another story. Too many people are unqualified to be parents but they have children anyway. These children grow up in dysfunctional homes and become bullies, drug addicts, etc. I don’t know the answer as how can you legislate who is allowed to become a parent and who isn’t. Religous outreach, particularly at a young age, is one answer. Practical learning in schools instead of just reading, writing and arithmetic is another. Any other thoughts out there to help make a better society.

1. Rob in the Hood says:

Maybe we should sterilize all those we think are unworthy to be parents, hey Avi? Here’s the answer… GOD legislates who becomes parents. No one has the right to legislate who becomes a parent.

1. Bill Jenson says:

Oh there are DEFINITELY people who should be sterilized and not have more kids!

7. christine says:

my mother said always protect myself…just cant throw the first punch

8. Mike Icyrebel says:

sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands if the parents of the bully refuse to step in and stop it.. good for the parents to show the bully what it feels like…and to ALLTHE IDIOTS THAT SAY ‘OH, ITS ONLY A CHILD, TAKE YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR BUTT AND SEE THAT SOME OF THESE KIDS ARE VILE MONSTERS ……….

9. alnga says:

as the smallest student in my class I learned quickly that violence is the only way to respond that is the only thing most bullies or thugs will respect.

10. James Johnson says:

Sweet!!!! Bullies deserve whatever they get.

11. ALERT says:

The 10 Year old – not a bully – the twins tag team freely roam through the Kiley Center where Sam Randolph works ie their father and feel that they have free rain to take whatever they want form whomever and hit whomever they want and get away withit. This 10 year od NOT A BULLY – has been bullied at the samy kiley Youth Center. She is tired o other chidlren hitting her and it finally standing up for herself. Then 2 grown adults who should know better place their hands on her with adult witnesses present. They should be ashamed of themselves. Now the ten year old has siblings who could have got involved but were restrained from stopping the action. What is truely sad was that it took a grwon man throwing a chair to get an adult to respond to the situation. Children should nto be taught to hit and adults should not be placing their hands on othere peoples chidlren other than to break up an altercation.

1. Booger McCoy says:

Your education and English degree? What an idiot. In this case it’s spelled “rein” as in reining in the horses, restraining them. THe girls had free rein, no one told them what to do or not do. Arrogant moron.

2. Maureen says:

Applause for Booger McCoy! The correct phrase is ‘free rein’ as in a horse’s reins

Ha! Ha!

3. Solid Citizen says:

Did you get your English degree with two cereal boxtops(plus a dollar for shipping and handling)?

Quo warranto, B.O?

12. Simplyamazed says:

neither party handled this situation correctly. this child is accused of bulling and it was never looked into. the parents of the twins never followed up with complaints any further then with the child’s mother? who are the parents of the twins to take matters into their own hands? who is a grown man/woman in this case to put their hands on a child? the behavior of the twins parents is disgusting. yes the child who was bulling needed to be dealt with but it was not up to them to take matters into their own hands. if the young girls felt they needed to handle the 10 year old then that was for them to decide but not the parents. kudos to the parents for actin ignorant and conducting themselves just as badly as the 10 year old.

13. joe says:

Peekskill ny enough said. Animal kingdom of NY!!

14. Vicky says:

Maybe they should have pressed charges against the little 10 year-old be otch and her parents and sued them for mental anguish instead; that way they would not have gotten into trouble. I FULLY believe that the bully was not stopped by her parents.

15. Leonard says:

I applaud the actions of the parents. Bullies prey on kids they perceive as weak. A bully will never fight someone their own size. Once, a bully tried to steal my bike. My dad and older brother wanted to murder the punk.

1. Justin says:

This is so irrelevant. Are you trying to say that a PARENT restraining a bully so that her daughters could have revenge on the bully is morally correct? What kind of reasonable, level headed parent would set that example? There are OTHER ways to fight bullying, such as involving the police or something.
      “Hate begets hate; violence begets violence; toughness begets a greater toughness. “- Martin Luther King Jr.
      Moral: VIOLENCE NEVER FIXES IT.

16. Dan S. says:

It seems clear we don’t have the whole story. The mother says she didn’t hold the 10-year-old, just talked to her. This mother works at the center, and I would tend to believe her, unless there is strong evidence to the contrary. The 10-year-old seems to be acknowledged to be a “bully”, so it seems likely she is lying about what happened.

17. Ruthie says:

My son was bullied and the school did nothing about it…When he finally fought back (off school grounds) he was suspended and the bully had no consequences. I spent an entire summer at the town pool protecting kids from this bully. As long as they get away with their behavior, they will continue–and it escalates as they get older. IT needs to be stopped….Adults need to be adults and protect their children. I don’t think we have the whole picture here!

1. Jennifer Evette Rivera says:

DISGUSTING THAT AN ADULT SUCH AS YOURSELF WOULD CONDONE AN ADULT ASSAULTING A 10 YEAR OLD CHILD. THEY BEHAVED LIKE WILD ANIMALS INSTEAD OF LEADING

1. Common says:

Hi Jennifer, are you 10 years old? You write like an uneducated 10 year old might.

2. Louise Schultz says:

Actually, animals behave better towards each other than most humans.

When I was 12 years old and my brother was 8 years old, the junior high school boys would beat him up regularly. I got tired of seeing him cry, so I walked him home from school one afternoon. The older boys showed up as usual, but I sent them home with black eyes and bloodied noses. They never bothered my brother again. There is a time and place for fighting back.

3. The Voice of Reason? says:

Jennifer, I bet you have no kids. Some 10 year olds need their little butts beat. I never called anyone this dirty word but it fits here – You are a Liberal! If you think all children are darling little drops of love, you are a LIBERAL. If you think parents should not use the belt on that butt when its needed, you are a stupid liberal. If you want your child to grow up to be a killer, rapist, criminal, then spare the rod.

2. alnga says:

the mama bear always protects the cubs.

1. Clarkster says:

How true!

18. KPMc says:

“Everyone involved lives in the same public housing complex.”

The most telling sentence in the entire article!

1. Don says:

…really? How so?

2. The Voice of Reason? says:

Yes, do tell. Whats so telling about that line Sherlock? You can judge people by where they live? Then I guess I can judge you as a racist with Klan affiliations.

19. Belle Prater says:

1st off please leave race out of this and don’t lend additional ignorance to this situation. There are plenty of parents, White, Hispanic, Russian, Chinese – who would encourage their children to defend themselves.
    They are wrong if they held that child down – but that is not a race related incorrect behavior.
    And I may be mistaken, but WHITE people have done plenty of violent , heinous acts throughout American history. Violence is a human downfall not a racial one!

20. BORIQUAMAMI says:

THE 10 YEAR OLD BULLY GOT JUST WHAT SHE DESERVED. IF IT WERE MY KIDS GETTING BULLIED, I WOULD DO THE SAME. SOMEONE HAS TO PUT A STOP TO IT…..

1. KPMc says:

Which housing project do you live in?

1. Don says:

the one next to your mother’s DUMB A$$!!! you wanna say something but are too…some groups act like they don’t have any problems in their community…if you have nothing to add that could be considered a solution just keep quiet!!!

2. Jennifer Evette Rivera says:

DISGUSTING THAT AN ADULTS WOULD CONDONE AN ADULT ASSAULTING A 10 YEAR OLD CHILD. THEY BEHAVED LIKE WILD ANIMALS AND YOU ARE PROMOTING THAT.

3. The Voice of Reason? says:

KPMc and Jennifer Idiot Rivera should get together and mate. Have little drops of love so out kids can kick their little butts. You two are the poster children of Wimps of America. This is New York. You fight or die. That simple.

21. Tony says:

Briian’s wife asks why the ten year old is in an abusive drug addicted household.The answer is quite simple,many of the people who are supposed to keep watch on these households don’t give a damn about these kids and write false reports having never set foot in the house They are interested only in collecting a paycheck the children be damned.

22. Briian's Wife says:

What a tragic situation for everyone. The Fitzgerald/Randolph family shouldn’t face criminal charges,but they do need counseling and support.
    The bigger concerns should be why the 10 yr old still living in a drug addicted, abusive household? What steps is the youth center taking to prevent/reduce bullying? ! 100% agree that the YC should be a Safe Zone.

1. Laura says:

Well said. Hopefully, the “ears” of Child Services are listening. I’m a mother and “high class” citizen, but watch what happens when my kids are bullied and threatened. The 10 year old is a product of her household, and my hat is off to the parents who had enough. I’m sorry, but the legal defense to what they did is an excited reaction.

23. Arnulfo Sticks Clauzel says:

I am in full support of these parents!

1. Courtney says:

I’m with you!! It seems the parents tried to do things the right way and got no where. I think I probably would have done the same.

1. Jennifer Evette Rivera says:

THERE ARE ALWAYS OTHER OPTIONS – JUST A MATTER OF CHOICE OF HOW TO REACT AND HANDLE SITUATIONS. ASSAULTING A CHILD WHEN THEY ARE THE ADULTS IS BOTTOM LINE WRONG. THE COPS COULD HAVE GONE THERE AND SCARED THE CHILD -THERES AN OPTION

2. Ed says:

To JER: With scant resources, it’s quite unlikely that:
        ” THE COPS COULD HAVE GONE THERE AND SCARED THE CHILD -THERES AN OPTION”

That is NOT the function of the Police Department.

24. Kodi says:

What about the director of the center? She made a statement, has she known of the situation and done nothing? Is she just as much responsible because inaction? The bully should have been let go from the center if the parents are not doing anything about it. If this center is licensed they are required to provide a safe environment for the kids and if that was not being done because of this unruly child then the center should be sued if anyone loses a job.

1. Jennifer Evette Rivera says:

ABSOLUTELY THAT’S HOW IT SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED

25. Kim says:

I don’t believe the dad threw a chair and hit the girl in the back. There would be some injury and the article did not say there was. I’m not sure I believe any of it. Have they talked to the other kids or adults? Bullys need to be dealt with.

26. Ginger Bear says:

ur awesome, can’t stand little bully kids

27. Frank Rizzo says:

Fair punishment would be for the twins to hold down the parents while the bully pummels them.

1. Anthony11289 says:

Youre an idiot

1. Courtney says:

I 2nd Anthonys comment

28. HelloNY says:

I hope that father doesn’t lose his job because I honestly can’t blame him. I can’t imagine how helpless a feeling it is to know that your children are being tormented and you can’t do anything to stop it. Honestly, I hope this 10 year old brat got her butt beat and HOPEFULLY she learned her lesson and won’t be bullying anyone elses kids. The bullys mom should be investiogated by CPS to make sure her kid isn’t learning her bullying ways at home

1. Courtney says:

I was just thinking that. Usually kids that bully do so for a reason. Whether it be they are mistreated at home by parents or maybe a sibling. Or it could be a psychological issue. Someone needs to look into this bully. I also highly doubt the father threw a chair at her. Bullys tend to be LIARS too.

1. ALERT says:

ADULT WITNESSES SAW ALL THAT HAPPENED. THIS COCURRED IN FRONT OF OTHER STAFF MEMBERS AS WELL AS THE TEN YEAR OLDS sister.

2. Jennifer Evette Rivera says:

AS A PARENT I CAN’T SEE HOW ANY ADULT COULD ASSAULT ANY CHILD, BULLY OR NOT. THE KID IS 10 YEARS OLD, THERE ARE LAWS AGAINST THIS BECAUSE ITS WRONG, BOTTOM LINE. VIOLENCE IS WRONG AND SHOULD NOT BE CONDONED. THERE WERE OTHER WAYS TO HANDLE THIS IN A DECENT MANNER. GO TO ANOTHER CENTER IS ONE OPTION.

1. The Voice of Reason? says:

Would you PLEASE stop screaming!!!!

29. Baffled says:

Ms. Fitzgerald and Mr. Randolph have twin 7 year olds. Two were being “bullied” by ONE 10 year old? There isn’t that much developmental difference between 7 and 10, unless she is armed! Big, husky, “adult” Mr. Randolph threw a chair at a 10 year old girl??

This is a bizarre story. It sounds as if the parents of the twins are totally out of control, and teaching their daughters to behave the same way.

1. cm says:

you sound like the parent of a bully. go home and RAISE your kids.

2. Katt says:

Well she could be like my nephew, who at 10 is 5’6″ and weighs 150lbs. My son is 9 and weighs only 67 lbs. Doesn’t sound like a fair fight to me. If this girl was willing to attack Mr Randolphs children right in front of him, my guess is that she is big.

3. Public says:

@Baffled-There is a huge difference in size and maturity between a 7 year old and 10 year old. Clearly, you do not have kids…and most likely a bully yourself.

4. Courtney says:

To add to what the others have said in response to your ridiculous comment, she probably didn’t bully them at the same time dumb@ss. She probably went back and forth between the 2 of them. I’m sorry for the foul language but it seems appropriate in this case.

5. BORIQUAMAMI says:

yeah!!!!! you are baffled.

6. Jennifer Evette Rivera says:

BAFFLED YOU SOUND EDUCATED AND A PERSON TO BE TRUSTED AROUND CHILDREN. SO FAR I HEAR ANIMALS WHO GET OFF ON VIOLENT BEHAVIOR. SO MANY OPTIONS WERE PRESENTED HOWEVER THEIR MINDS WERE ON ONE TRACK – ASSAULTING A 10 YEAR OLD. HOPE THE COURT THROWS THE BOOK AT THEM.

1. Citizen says:

Jennifer Please, turn your caps lock off, using all caps is just RUDE.

2. KB says:

Are you rthe 10-year-old bully’s mother by odd chance?……..

30. Jeff Rosen ret NYPD Sgt says:

Good for them. Hope the case gets thrown out.

31. slobo says:

Good job! Hope the parents get off lightly!

32. capt america says:

Good for them..This little shyt got what was coming

1. Judy Werner says:

Parents of children being bullied should file complaints with Children Protective Services and the Law Enforcement Agency (police, sheriff, etc.)in there area. Make them take the report if they say no. And then you as the parents need to follow up with both reports. If it happens on school property or anywhere the child is to be under school supervision (teacher, school bus driver and so on) also file a report with the school and school superintendent. Do all of the above with each violation of bulling.
      If it is not stopped then you should be able to file criminal charges even with it being a child. Also the parents of the child in violation should be able to be charged. On top of all of the above you have the right to sue the parents of the child and in some cases the child as well. You could also, if the Law Enforcement Agency, Child Protective Services or the School/School Superintendent do not take action they could be looking at their day in court besides the parents.

It is important to do the above step by step in order to establish a foundation for bringing your problems then cases to the attention of your Law Enforcement Agency, Child Protective Services and School/School Superintendent.

Do not take no for an answer from any of them. If you hit a wall with any of them then go to a lawyer and check with Law Professor of your closest University. They carrie a lot of power.

This is the only way the BULLYING is going to stop. The laws are already on the books for adults. It is now time to use them on anyone even children in violation of them!!!

1. Frank says:

Thank you for giving the proper direction to take when faced with this almost inevitable challenge.
        A more well written article would have have concluded with remarks of this level as the proper alternatives.

Kudos to you.

2. beenthere says:

Nice to hear logic rather than just rudeness and anger. I personally had to deal with a little league baseball coach who decided to leave the game to deal with my foster son who would not give his son a ball to play with. This adult bullied my foster son dragging him across the field in front of everyone asking who belongs to this. I was outraged and told him that he needed to let go of him and behave as an adult.

When I found out this was all over the fact that his son had tattled to his dad that my foster son would not give him a four square ball that belonged to the school to play with I was shocked. I calmed the situation down comforting my foster child who was very upset and the game continued but… after the game I contacted the head of the league explaining what had happened and he was very upset and promised to investigate it for me..

After hearing from other wittiness’s including the umpire what had happened this COACH was removed as coach, he also received a visit from the police and was cautioned that his actions were abusive, threatening to a child as well as holding a child against his will and that we could press charges if we chose to. I was content to know that he was not going to be able to Coach children again so with that we let it go. There are things we can do without getting hands on to get a desired result to someone who is offending another.

I do want to make one point here and that is that even 10 yr old children are committing murder these days and we can’t ignore any bullying going on. I imagine if anyone who disagrees with these parent’s actions might think differently if it were happening to their child. I am not condoning the actions that took place but sometimes when in the heat of a situation we don’t always think clearly, we react to protect., how quickly people condemn others as if they have never done anything questionable themselves …sometimes we go through things to learn a lesson and hopefully lesson learned in this case.

From many past experiences I am pretty sure this is not the last time this child is going to bully someone because the consequences are usually nothing less than a little verbal slap on the wrist for their bad behavior. The twins are the real victims here and apparently will continue to be the victims having to deal with what their parents are now facing after protecting their children.

This 10 yr old could end up with something worse happening to her if she continues to get away with bullying. She might bully the wrong child one day..she needs help. Hopefully someone will see that everyone involved needs to be brought together and this all be addressed supervised by a mediator and all of them should face some form of disciplinary actions along with counseling.

3. The Voice of Reason? says:

That all sounds good on paper Judy. Try it. You will find that none of the reporting agency will lift a finger. Its all looked at as a right of growing up. Even if its reported and something comes of it, the bully will become more enraged and assault the child even more. These liberal approaches do not work, A good kick in the head always works. If you can’t raise your 10 year old to respect the rights of others, then the others have the right to teach him proper.

33. wellinsured says:

where was the lil bullies PARENTS? – at 10 y/o picking on a 7 y/o – these bullies are notrocius they are always claimed to have come from a broken home well then charge their parents too bcus I don’t feel one bit sorry for this lil girl and even the grounds of the Youth Center defending this child’s behavior – parents get fed up sending their children to a safe zone and because the child is troubled or comes from a troubled home it makes it okay for them to stay and harm and harass members attending the center – shame on the lil bullies parents and shame on the youth center too.

1. Umma use that word says:

“notrocius” heh, I dig your take on the language.

1. Courtney says:

get a life

34. Denise says:

This is a very familiar and sad case. Children are bullied all over the world in and out of school everyday. They have the tendency to be very vindictive and mean, my son was a victim of a bully on a school bus in NJ. This child would not back off, every morning he would throw papers, pencils, books and harsh words at my son. He threatened to SHOOT my child, that was the final straw.
    I approached the bus, asked the driver to have a few words with the bully and informed the child that I would file a complaint with the local police and have him arrestted if he harms my child in any way. I called the school, filed a complaint..3 times and subsequent to that I was informed this child was being abused at home..he missed numerous days of school and his mother was an addict.
    This behavior starts at HOME..you can’t expect the school to raise your child. What they learn at home is what the will demonstrate outdoors.

1. Judy says:

File a report with Children Protective Services and do a follow up with the police!! It is only a matter of time before this child really hurts someone. It is up to someone like you to take action and do not take no for an answer.
      Go you the newspapers and news stations about it! When problems like this are not stopped the correct way we end up with future criminals and killers!! Everyone with your knowledge of the problem needs to take action not stop and think someone else will take care of it. There might not be someone else. It got this far by people doing nothing or not enough. So get your butt in gear and take action. You could be responsible for preventing future crimes or deaths!!!!
      PS: How do you know this child can not get their hands on a gun?

1. Denise says:

@ Judy, I appreciate your comment. This child/bully was removed from his home and is now in the care of a foster family. When raising children it can be a very difficult task, mentally..emotionally and financially. I love my children and would consider myself to be very loving, yet stern. A DISCIPLINARIAN. I grew up in a different time where I was not allowed to hang-out in the street past 8..church on Sundays..Sunday school..room cleaned..and not exposed to inappropriate activity on television and above all RESPECT FOR OTHERS AND YOURSELF.
        Today, well the parents are babies having babies and a good percentage are raising babies without the fathers. Children learn by what they see and hear at home, if the parent/s speak with vulgar language the child absorbs it like a sponge. It not fair to the teachers to have to raise and try to discipline a child in the classroom.
        Bullies have a tendency to display such violent behavior as a way of screaming out for help or to say..look this is what happens to me at home. If they lack the love and attention they will seek in other ways to gain such. It’s sad because children like my son, will reap the negativity from them.
        I SAY STAND UP FOR YOUR CHILDREN, IF THEY ARE BEING BULLIED ADDRESS THE SITUATION LIKE AN ADULT AND SEEK LAW ENFORCEMENT IF NEED BE.

Comments are closed.