NYC Food Stamp Recipients Could Reclaim Storm-Related Losses

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — New Yorkers who depend on food stamps can recoup some of their losses from Hurricane Irene, according to the Food Bank For New York City.

The organization announced Tuesday that recipients who lost their food items because flooding, power outages or equipment failure can reclaim the food stamp benefit value.

To do so, must file a request form within 10 days of the loss.

New Yorkers are also being urged to donate their unwanted non-perishable food items to local food pantries.

For more information on the Hurricane Irene Food Stamp Replacement Notice, residents can call the Food Bank For New York City at 212-894-8060 or visit their website at www.foodbanknyc.org.

(TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. EricG says:

You lousy rich people who complain, might just one day have that tables turned on you and may file for foodstamp benefits yourselves, when you loose your wall st jobs🙂

1. Gordon Gecco says:

I’m sure you’re not doing too bad yourself, since you have a computer!!

1. EricG says:

Im a union worker. Hah Hah🙂

2. Justcallmefranny Mayigarcia says:

Lol, there are many angry people here posting so many bad things about fellow Americans who receive Foodstamps. You people must be angry, depress, and lonely to pick on people that need to apply for foodstamps to eat. I am sure there are cheaters out there, but they will never amount to those in Wall Street, Corporate America, with their own welfare roll up and running. Your payroll taxes DOES not cover what you all assume it does towards welfare. Relax we all receive some sort of Welfare in our tax deductions, property taxes, depreciation of our assets, childcare credit, business losses, exemptions and the list goes on……………so go have a beer and chug it up.

1. Justcallmefranny Mayigarcia says:

Nice, whomever hacked my account had to use my name to rely to me, COWARD!

2. PooH says:

At least the Wall Street fraudsters create jobs and pay a comparable large amount of taxes. Parasites on the other hand eat away taxpayers’ money from the day they were born till their death. How can any tax deduction be a welfare? Chiildcare credit for example means the parents had already paid for their children’s expense; not the taxpayers. Once again food stamps should only keep someone barely alive so that they will not have to rely on the program forever unless they are disabled. People who spend time on the job do not necessarily have the luxury to eat at any time they wish. I’m hungry when I’m working because I don’t have time to eat. Why is it OK that the working people be hungry but not the welfare recipients?

3. rojo says:

The system needs to be be overhauled. People use foodstamps to buy unhealthy food, which is expensive. . I say limit what you can get on food stamps to basic and cheap stuff, like rice, beans. Supplement with fresh fruits and vegetables. No chips, cookies or candies. soda, or bottled water. Tap water is fine.

1. Justcallmefranny Mayigarcia says:

Rojo, why is it that you have in your head that these people buy lobster with foodstamp…………..Do you even know what a budget of foodstamp is for a family of four, I bet not, And those unhealthy foods are purchased because you can buy frozen dinners for one dollar that are full of sodium, but that dollar buys alot, no brand soda for 59 cents full of sugar, dollar bread full of oil and lard and the list goes on. Healthy food is expensive like fruits, lean meats, fish, vegetables, and the list goes on. You talk because you like what YOU hear.

1. Justcallmefranny Mayigarcia says:

AND BTW ROJO I PACK FUDGE

2. Justcallmefranny Mayigarcia says:

And I have a third grade education…..

3. William says:

Just for your info, it does go on… There’s a huge Russian store NetCost near us. We go in there all of the time because they have nice stiff. I tell you that at least 75% of the people, in their 80s, 40s and even 20s use a BENEFIT CARD… Dressed beautifully…I’ve seen Rolexes, Omegas…. They’re buying smoked sable at $8.00 per pound, caviar for $20.00 a jar… There are people out there RAPING the system and it annoys people that see it… Sorry for the ones who do need it but there’s A LOT of garbage that is out there sucking us dry!!!!!

4. Pplrfunny says:

I think this would be an oppurtune time to re-evaluate who needs and who doesn’t… If someone comes in to get reimbursed wearing $1000 in gold and the newest pair of Jordans, cut them off! I am all for helping those who TRULY need it, but I despise those who take just because they can… The American Dream was never to sit on your butt and watch Maury all day long while others take care of your needs…

1. Justcallmefranny Mayigarcia says:

Pplrfunny, I am gathering that you have an image in your mind that everybody who has gold and Jordan’s have to be on WEFARE and no way no how hold a job.

1. Justcallmefranny Mayigarcia says:

And I can’t spell

5. bullett says:

I say keep working so others can benefit from your tax dollars.

6. Trisha says:

The actual needy, flood victims probably won;t claim anything. But the “its free money” leeches are sure too.

7. Nec says:

I wonder how many fraudulent claims are going to be filed.

1. Reverend Rev says:

Plenty. If a system CAN be abused, then it was INTENDED to be abused.

2. TomNJ says:

Plenty, I am sure. For most of these food stamp people, filling out forms IS their job. They are pros at it.

8. Dik Hertz says:

Food stamp program should keep the so called “Poor” people barely alive. I think it’s perfectly OK if they stay hungry but not yet dead. They have no rights to have a full stomach at others’ expenses. Food Stamp recipients should get Weight check; Drug test and BMI test to determine their eligibility. Benefits should be reduced should they gain any weight. Every time a person checks out using food stamp they should be required to say “Thank you taxpayers; I should rot to hell if I cheat the food stamp program”. The faces of Food Stamp and welfare recipients need to have their faces and financial information posted on the Internet so that the public can easily report fraudulent claims. There should also be huge rewards for people who report fraudulent recipients which lead to a conviction.

1. Very conservative says:

Agreed 110%

9. Nec says:

What about those of us who rely on cash????

10. NYC IS A CESSPOOL says:

THESE LAZY WELFARE SOB’S CAN GET REIMBURSED FOR FOOD STAMPS,BUT THE WORKING STIFF CANT GET REIMBURSED FOR THE LOST DAYS ON THEIR METROCARD…..THATS WHY I LOVE THIS GREAT CITY OF OURS

11. orlyrad@yahoo.com says:

Food stamp recipients live in high rise projects, that were not affected

1. KPMc says:

The power can’t go out in high rise buildings? There are no food stamps recipients living in one or two-gamily houses?

Is ignorance really bliss?

12. just a human says:

Families don’t want to be on food stamps. If or when this country get’s even worse you will all remember just what your grandparents went through in 1920!

1. KPMc says:

Some families don’t want to be on food stamps but it is also true that many are perfectly content with someone else supporting them.

Saying all or none about anything is just ignorant.

2. Trisha says:

I can tell you don’t speak for the majority of food stamp families. Do you know any? Many get it because they can. Illegal cash is not included as income. Boyfriends cash not income, etc. Its really sad that the real struggling poor get branded and have to do withour because of the cheats

13. sam says:

Not fair!! I am not on food stamps and lost food…. who is going to pay me back. o wait noone!!! this is why our country is broke!!!!

1. Very conservative says:

What do you expect?? Liberalism at its finest.

2. KPMc says:

Well… if you are really hurting and hungry there are many programs that will not let you starve. Take advantage of them… that is what they are there for… We as Americans are not so callous we would let people die rather than feed them.

But if you have the resources to recover from anything you lost be thankful. The hardship you overcome will make you a better person. Just try not to be such a bitter person.

Comments are closed.