NEW YORK (WFAN) — The man who was charged with sneaking a stun gun into MetLife Stadium on Sunday — and using it in an upper-deck fight — is claiming self defense.
“I did what I had to do,” Leroy McKelvey told the New York Daily News.
The 59-year-old was released on $22,500 bail from the Bergen County jail Monday after being charged with three counts of aggravated assault and two weapons counts.
According to the paper, Section 324 began to get heated before the Jets even got started on the field against the Cowboys. That’s because McKelvey and his entourage allegedly wouldn’t stand for the national anthem and spoke loudly during “Taps” and “Amazing Grace.”
One annoyed Marine wouldn’t let McKelvey pass to use the bathroom at halftime, witnesses told the paper. That’s when they said McKelvey used the stun gun on three people.
“Don’t make be out to be a criminal,” McKelvey told the Daily News. “I was just doing what I had to do to protect myself.”
But the question is: how did he get the stun gun into the stadium on the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks? The thought is especially scary, considering former President George W. Bush was in the arena.
“He didn’t sneak it in,” McKelvey’s son, Power 105.1’s Charlamagne Tha God, said on-air Tuesday. “It was right on his hip.”
The fracas happened on the heels of Jets coach Rex Ryan’s jest: “It’s probably not recommended that you wear Cowboys stuff” to MetLife Stadium, the outspoken coach said last week. Ryan drew heavy criticism for the remark leading up to Sunday’s game.
Tha God’s father was decked out in Cowboys garb for the game.
“A higher power absolutely knew there was going to be some jerks in the stands who would assault him,” said the deejay.
Warning: Explicit Language
What do you think of McKelvey’s comments to the Daily News? Sound off below…