Gay Choir Director At East Rutherford Parish Resigns After Priest’s Comments

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (CBS 2) —  He says he can’t take it anymore.

A gay choir director at a Catholic church in New Jersey has quit his job because he says the priest is making his work environment hostile.

But does he have a case?

St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church in East Rutherford is where Bob Russell has been the choir director for decades. On Thursday, however, the 55-year-old was taking boxes into the parish to pack up his belongings.

“Felt that I was put into a position that I had to resign my job because of my sexuality,” Russell told CBS 2’s Christine Sloan.

Russell, who grew up Catholic, said his work environment has become hostile since a new priest took over and started strongly preaching against homosexuality.

“The sermon line was that marriage between two men is a lie,” Russell said.

The Catholic Church does not condone homosexuality, Sloan reported.

A spokesperson for the Archdiocese of Newark, which now runs the parish, said no one will comment because the church does not discuss personnel matters.

Russell said it wasn’t the sermon, but what the priest told him in private that made him realize it was time to go.

“When I spoke to Father Joseph and I told him that I was a gay man in a domestic-partner relationship, he told me that he would eventually like a children’s choir and that I wouldn’t be a good example to lead a children’s choir,” Russell said.

Legal analysts say the church has the right to preach its beliefs because freedom of religion is protected by the Constitution.

“I believe that nobody should have to hide what they believe in,” one woman told Sloan.

But parishioners at the church said they are baffled and could care less Russell is gay.

“I think he should have stayed,” Renato Pierantoni said. “I think he’s a great guy.”

St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church was part of the Franciscan order until it was transferred to the Newark Archdiocese in July. A spokesperson said the church tends to hire people who follow its beliefs.

Should Russell have resigned his job as choir director? Share your thoughts in the comments section…

More from Christine Sloan
Comments

1. Robert H. says:

The Church can’t and won’t change her teaching about human sexuality including homosexuality. Simply does not have the authority. With so many gay churches out there, why attacking the foundations of our faith? If someone does not agree with the religious beliefs of any church anyone can move on.
    Seems obvious that the point is to change the Church at all cost. But Christ, his teachings and His Church cannot be perverted. It is too precious a legacy for future generations.

1. Ecce Agnus Dei says:

It’s nice to see so many faithful Catholics raising their voices to call evil, evil. God bless Father Joseph for preaching Christ’s Truth. Undoubtedly, Father Joseph is bearing the weight of the Cross due to his faithfulness to Holy Mother Church. Let us take heed of his example and remember the words of Our Lord, “my yoke is sweet and my burden light.”

Let us offer sacrifices for Father Joseph – that he may be strengthened in his priesthood, remain hopeful, and not tempted to despair.

To Bob Russell – “I desire not the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from his way, and live.” Ezechiel 33:11

2. StGemmaGalganiFan says:

TruthTeller says in another :
    “Kind of ironic that a Catholic priest would suggest that children are not safe around gay men, given what his colleagues in the church have been doing to children for decades.”

In other words because there were homosexual priests who committed the sin (and the crime) of sodomy (remember these Priests were guilty of abusing teenage BOYS NOT GIRLS – the sins were homosexual acts), priests who sinned against God by disobeying Him and by doing precisely what the Church has for 2000 years preached NOT TO DO – you pass the blame to another priest who is doing exactly what the Church teaches. That is like blaming every German for what the Nazi’s did – and especially those who were fighting against it – and blaming them only because they hold a German passport. Who is the hypocrite? You decide.

The Catholic Church (the same Church which canonized the Bible 1700 years ago) teaches that homosexual acts are sinful NOT that people with homosexual tendencies are sinners or bad (unless they commit the sin). It doesn’t matter to the Catholic faith what anyone’s opinion of the Truth is – because Truth is absolute and God is Truth. Truth doesn’t change by the results of an opinion poll or by the vote of a parish’s members. Truth doesn’t change even if 99% of Catholics believe if homosexual acts are not sinful. The truth is that homosexual acts are sinful (and the Church can only proclaim it – not CHANGE it) – just like heterosexuals commit mortal sin by ACTING on disordered sexual desires (adultery, fornication, pedophilia etc.).

The priest in any parish is answerable to God for the souls under his care. Knowing that this man is living a gravely sinful life – and that he has no intention to amend his life – and is in a position to lead others to sin – it is his PERSONAL responsibility to do the right thing. His eternity depends on it – that is why he became a priest. You can persecute this Father and the Catholic church – but that wont change anything.
    Ad majorem Dei Gloriam

1. Jean says:

Well said.

3. Joannie says:

I for one am all for respect and tolerance but there has to come to a point where any Christian Denominations (Catholic or Protestant or Orthodox) should be penalized or sued for there beliefs. What about the so-called “hate Crime” laws already in place in Canada, and Europe where anybody who dares to speak out against this lifestyle (not against people with same sex-attraction) end up losing their jobs or going to jail. This is all nothing more than Political Correctness which is actually known by its other name CULTURAL COMMUNISM and RELATIVISM

1. ali says:

Homosexuality, in my opinion, is abnormal relative to nature (against the natural law), and to call it anything else is to redefine the meaning of the term “normal” or “natural”, which is indeed being battled out in today’s society. I understand that there is some evidence that a person is born with genes that would influence a person to be “attracted” to a person of the same sex. There is also some evidence that a person is born with genes that would influence a person to be addicted to alcohol. In the latter case, society doesn’t say that the alcoholic, since he has these genes, can drink all that he wants. He is, instead, expected to try his best to refrain from drinking. His success and/or culpability for his failures, though, are to be judged by God alone. Just so with a homosexual, we as a society should not say that, since he has those genes, he can engage in sexual activity with someone of the same sex. He should be expected to try his best to refrain from sexuality (homosexual or heterosexual). His particular success and/or culpability for his failures, though, again are to be judged by God alone.

Additionally, homosexuality is not consistent with Christianity and is, therefore, IMMORAL (e.g. Romans 1:24-28), as is any sexuality performed outside of marriage, marriage being defined as a union of one man and one woman. Note, two men or two women can love one another and are encouraged to do so, as we are all so strongly called to do so by Christ; but this loving one another under these circumstances does not call for acting on it in a sexual manner.

Though homosexual activity is abnormal as well as immoral and sinful, I do not hate or fear homosexuals; however, I do hate and I do fear the sin of homosexuality, i.e. hate the sin, but love the sinner. Further, I do hate and I am fearful of the degradation of the moral foundations of society which occur as a result of any group’s attempt to legitimize, in any way, any form of immorality, whether it be in the form of homosexuality, anti-Semitism, or racism, etc.

As a Christian, then, in the sight of immorality and sin, what am I called to do? Am I simply to remain silent, thus going along in order to get along, perhaps out of fear of being called “homophobic” or “intolerant”. No! As a Christian, (a Christ follower) I am obligated to speak out against this immorality, out of love for my brother, lest I be held accountable as well (Ezk 33:7-9).

In America, we have freedom, and with it we are all free to do what we want to do and believe what we want to believe. That’s what our forefathers came to this country for; and, to this end, we are all called to be “tolerant” of others. Tolerance, though, used to mean, “I will fight to my death to allow you to believe what you want to believe”. Now, though, the term “tolerance” has been extended to mean, “ALL beliefs must be accepted by ALL, and, therefore, don’t judge me.” This new definition of “tolerance” is entirely incorrect. While Americans will always be free to do what they want to do and believe what they want to believe, that doesn’t mean that as Christians, we must simply “accept” immorality as well as any group’s attempt to legitimize it, and not speak up and out against it, all in the name of conforming to today’s new definition of the term “tolerance”.

One last thing, it is important to note that Christ said, “You will not find life except through me”. Christianity, in its basic foundation, therefore, is not ‘tolerant’, based on today’s new definition of ‘tolerance’. Further, Christianity is not a neutral, pluralistic, or democratic religion. Christ said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life,” and not, “I am ONE of the ways, ONE of the truths, and ONE of the lights;” nor did he say, “We’ll vote on it”. Christianity inherently takes sides, and so as a Christian, it is not possible to simply go along to get along. Love the Sinner but hate the Sin. SPEAK OUT. Don’t let your beliefs be suppressed. Chances are you’ll be ridiculed and condemned, but given the state of affairs in today’s society, if you haven’t recently been ridiculed and condemned at some point for speaking up and out from a Christian perspective on any of the plethora of current issues at hand, chances are you’re not doing all that you are called upon to do as a Christian.

1. Bob Weiss says:

Actually, there is absolutely no genetic evidence for homosexuality. Leading theories are psychological and possible hormone related, but no genetic causes are known.

For all the talk of science in our society, there sure is little rigor in approaching certain questions scientifically because it might “hurt someone’s feelings”. This is a problem to the degree that homosexuality has been removed from the DSM. Research that shows psychological causes is routinely ignored.

Another problem is that homosexuality has been unjustifiably etvhed in stone as some kind of permanent or necessary condition which it never was before in history. It goes unquestioned, and the media’s routine of presenting it as an unquestionable and obvious reality is the only reason people believe it to be a given. That and the fear of ruffling feathers and being called a backwards person. It’s a form of bullying and it’s grotesque. It’s obvious that a person shouldn’t be hated as a person whether they’re gay or they have schizophrenia. I don’t understand the impulse to hate. However, hating what a person *does*, as apposed to is, is quite a different matter. As a Jew, I can easily get away with hating Germans or Hitler, but I remind myself that it’s not meaningful to do so. Instead I hate what they did.

1. Joan says:

Ali and Bob, very well said to both of you. I was going to comment that there has been no Gay gene found but Bob beat me to it. Thank you.

4. jewells says:

Just think…..once we all live under Sharia Law….there will be no more conversations like this on ! It’s against their law for anyone to live that lifestyle and they enforce that law with capital punishment. Catholicism seems pretty harmless compared to that.

5. Truthteller says:

1. Joan says:

Truthteller- the John Jay report shows that the majority of abuse was perpetrated against post-pubescent males- common sense reveals that those priests were gay, not pedophiles, so the majority of the perpetrators were gay. There has been a problem of homosexual men in the priesthood for decades now.

2. Steve says:

first off what those priests that did that their actions were awful BUT you do know only like 4% of all priests were accused of this crime. Not all priests are bad. I’m sure you are just as upset at the teachers (1000% higher rate of child abuse they just have great lawyers), coaches, doctors, parents, babysitters, and so on & so on that do this? If not then you better have more stones. The young up & coming priests won’t take this nonsense anymore

6. jewells says:

Just go get a job at a Mosque. They would do more than just preach against his lifestyle.

1. Vince Everett says:

Yes, all religions are nonsense!

2. KPMc says:

So… your argument is… other countries and religions are worse so we should just accept it here.

While I think the Catholic church can discriminate against anyone they want as long as it doesn’t interfere with others your argument just reminds me of a kid saying… “But mom… Bobby’s parents let him stay out all night” …as if that makes a damn difference as to what is right and wrong.

7. Scott says:

buybull? you need to learn to spell sinner. Their is no room for hatemongers against God.

1. Vince Everett says:

Yes, all the hatemongers are WITH god! I am not a hatemonger, I am a broadcaster of The Truth!!

1. StGemmaGalganiFan says:

And what is Truth ? Whatever you think is True ? If thats the case – since there is nothing special about YOU – that should apply to me as well. So like you I would also become a “broadcaster of Truth” and you have no basis for telling me that only you are a “broadcaster of Truth” and that I am not.

So that would mean that if I though that you have no idea what Truth is – I would be correct – cause Truth is whatever I think it is. See where your “broadcaster of Truth” nonsense leads to ?

2. CatholicCulture says:

Yeah, your truth!! How do you know what you think is “TRUTH”?

8. Walter says:

Being Gay and going to Church is like being a racecar driver without a racecar. When will Gays accept the fact that God hates the sin, not the people. If you want to worship God you must respect and follow his word. I will not force you to not be Gay as long as Gays don’t force me to practice my religion without the rules! God Bless.

1. prayinwarrior says:

Thank you Walter…I feel gays are imposing themselves on everyone, and all aspects of our lives. Why are gays considering themselves wounded when someone preaches on the bible? America was built on the beliefs of the bible. If you don’t like it, keep your mouth closed about it, or go and buy an island just for your kind. Again…GOD does not hate the gay man/woman, he just hate the sin. Just like he hates all of my sins and everyone else’s sin, but I do not flaunt my sin in everyone’s faces.

9. valwayne says:

I’m a gay Roman Catholic and I don’t usually let the church’s position on homosexuality bother me. No institution in the history of the world has more experience with Gay men and Women than the Roman Catholic Chruch, and they surely know by now that gay men and women are born gay, which means God made them the way we are, and God doesn’t make mistakes. I usually console myself that some day in the fullness of time God will open the eyes of the leaders of the church. I don’t expect it in my lifetime, but it will come. After all it took the church over 500 years to finally apologize and admit that Gallileo was correct, and that the earth does indeed circle the sun. However, I wouldn’t work with a Priest who told me that I wasn’t fit to teach children because I’m gay. Such a statement shows an amazing level of ignormance and hate, especially for a Priest claiming to have a vocation from God. That kind of ignorance and hatefulness is a sin!

1. Why Not? says:

And what evidence do you offer? And you know nothing about genetics and the Galileo thing. In your rush to have your aberrant behavior accepted with its obvious psychological implications, you deny the reality of sexualty and its intended purpose. You are right, God does not make mistakes but you have. You fail to understnad that this is a FALLEN sin filled world. And that your feelings and desires are not the judge of what is right and what is not. Essentially, you have allowed your desires to control your life and thought. Not unusual but always – yes, always – dangerous when not backed up by REALITY outside the self, a strange concept to one trapped in is own solipsistic feelings. .

2. Nancy Martin says:

Your argument is as erroneous as someone who says I have always been attracted to thievery. God made me this way so it is good because God does not make mistakes. This argument is flawed for several reasons. Due to originial sin, our propensity to sin, ALL sin including sexual perversion (and yes gay sex is sexual perversion) was made manifest. We all have a tendency toward lust due to original sin. Even heterosexuals have this since they may desire sexual relatinos outside of marriage. So God did not make you gay or that way. We made ourselves this way due to the sin of our first parents. God made us perfect and then our first parents rejected God, and then sin and death entered the world PERIOD. Secondly, there is no proof that one is born gay. but we are all born with concupiscence and the propensity to all kinds of sin including the propensity to same sex attraction or lustful desires, anger, malice etc etc. Third, to speak the TRUTH as revealed by God Himself as the Catholic Church does and has always done is not hate but love. It couldn’t be further from hate. It is a spiritual work of mercy to “instruct the ignorant” and ” admonish the sinner.” This falaicous and weak argument is as old as the hills. That akin so saying that a priest is exhibiting hate when he corrects one of his flock against his sin of adultery. Really? Homosexuals typically exhibit a very poor lack of catechesis when they make such statements perhaps because they so badly want their sins to be confirmed…almost like the post abortive woman who refuses to acknowledge that she ‘KILLED” the life growing in her womb. Truth is Truth and nothing will ever change that. The Church does not even have the authority to change it becomes it comes directly from God as revealed in the external norms of Revelation of both Scriptuer AND Tradition. Hence, take up your complaints with GOD.

3. Nancy Martin says:

Your argument is as erroneous as someone who says I have always been attracted to thievery and God made me this way so it is good because God does not make mistakes. This argument is flawed for several reasons. Due to originial sin, our propensity to sin, ALL sin, including sexual perversion (and yes gay sex is sexual perversion) was made manifest. We all have a tendency toward lust due to original sin. Even heterosexuals have this since they may desire sexual relations outside of marriage. So God did not make you gay or that way. We made ourselves this way due to the sin of our first parents. God made us perfect and then our first parents rejected God, and then sin and death entered the world PERIOD. Secondly, there is no proof that one is born gay. But we ARE all born with concupiscence and the propensity to all kinds of sin including the propensity to same sex attraction or lustful desires, anger, malice etc etc.

1. Nancy Martin says:

Gays typically exhibit a very poor lack of catechesis when they make such statements perhaps because they so badly want their sins to be confirmed, almost like the post abortive woman who refuses to acknowledge that she ‘KILLED” the life growing in her womb. Truth is Truth and nothing will ever change that. The Church does not even have the authority to change it because it comes directly from God as revealed in the external norms of Revelation of both Scriptuer AND Tradition. Hence, take up your complaints with God.

4. Nancy Martin says:

Third, to speak the TRUTH as revealed by God Himself as the Catholic Church does and has always done is not hate. On the contrary, it is and act of love. It couldn’t be further from hate. It is a spiritual work of mercy to “instruct the ignorant” and ” admonish the sinner.” This falaicous and weak argument is as old as the hills. It’s akin so saying that a priest is exhibiting hate when he corrects one of his flock against his sin of adultery. Really?

5. CatholicCulture says:

The genetics or social acceptance matters not….what matters is God’s view. My point is you are probably a better person than many orthodox heterosexual Catholics, and as you know the problem is not being Homosexual, the problem is acting on it, or acting on heterosexual sex outside of wedlock, it isn’t a “sexuality” issue…God is the Creator, and as humans, God gave us sex within wedlock to experience “creating” within His Divine mystery. Many theologians have written it may be that this, that we can co-create with God, as the point that Satan became rebellious over, that we could create, and he can not….his hate for us is evident. Regardless, I was not able to marry in the Church, at 18 I got pregnant, and our Pastor wanted us to wait until the baby was born….so I too have suffered, and if we know anything its either our will or God’s will…our culture can go off the deep end, but that should not change what God views as sinful. I wonder if the man was not living with a man and if he said he was struggling, I doubt the Priest would have said that….it would be the same if it was a woman living with a man, not a great example for the kids. I pray we do not buckle to political correctness, this was not a “gay” bashing thing, it was a living in sin and deciding to do kind of thing….

10. Vince Everett says:

This story is irrelevant! There is no god, so who cares? Please grow up, people!

1. Herne says:

Thank you Vince……..As Adults….we should leave the fairy tales for the children.

1. Scott says:

I feel sorry for people like Vince and Herne, they will never know the glory of god and all that isgood in the world. Instead they would rather follow the demon and false prophet Satan, I will pray for your souls.

2. Why Not? says:

So, why do you and VE comment? Why not just go about your business and not bother? Could it be that the nagging suspicion that you are wrong leads you and VE to name call and vociferously deny God? As a self-proclaimed “adult,” you indulge in childish behavior. Your and VE’s disrespect tells the real adults all they need to know about you (pl.).

VE, calling the story irrelevant and then commenting on it says much about you and not the story. What does it tell? First, see above. Second, you are more enthralled with all this then you might wish others to know. You keep replying. Why? How sure are you of your position? As for all the “hatemongers” being with God, what is your excuse for your vituperative? You engage in absolute speak – “all,” “no god.” This is not the post-modern way nor is it rational.

2. doug says:

it is immoral and UN-Christian to allow a practicing homosexual to hold any form of authority in a Christian Church. You can be homosexual and go to church, but you cannot be allowed to teach, preach, be a deacon, elder or anything or serve. You MUST REPENT, ask forgiveness from God and abstain from such a practice before you will have standing before God or His children..

1. Sal says:

Are you that blind as to not be able to see? If you honestly believe that nowhere in your entire existence in the Catholic church you have never been served, taught, preached to, deacon-ed or anything else by a gay person, you are living in an imaginary world . Sorry, but it is a documented reality that more than a fair share of priests, nuns and other clergy in Christian denominations are gay. And without knowing that, you had no problem with them, nor did others around you, or in the hundreds of years of the church before you. Ignorance is bliss indeed, but it is still ignorance.

1. StGemmaGalganiFan says:

“Sorry, but it is a documented reality that more than a fair share of priests, nuns and other clergy in Christian denominations are gay.”

1. Your sources please ? Since its a “documented reality” getting your sources should be a piece of cake. If you cant – why do you lie ? Do you need lies to promote something which in your opinion is true ?

2. The Catholic church is not a denomination of anything – there is nothing it has denominated from. So like before get your facts right.

“And without knowing that, you had no problem with them, nor did others around you, or in the hundreds of years of the church before you.”
          So what you are saying is YOU KNEW THAT individuals in the Church were all committing the sin of the homosexual act. Again sources please.

3. Nancy Martin says:

You’ll certainly believe in God when you are judged by Him at your death and end up going to Hell.

11. Matthew Milder says:

The Catholic Church IS one of the last few organizations that can get away being bigoted & sexist. It’s okay to hate gays if your Catholic, because Jesus preached about outright hate every time he gave a sermon. Blessed are the hatemongers, for they are God’s one true weapon against gays, women & non-whites. (When was the last time a non-white was Pope? or a woman a priest? Sorry, but it’s time for the Catholic Church to wake up and join the 19th century (they’re always about 300 years behind, it’s too much to ask to join the 20th or 21st century).

1. John Donohue says:

Their dogma whether you argree with it or not is core to their religion. While there is historical evidence of female priest and popes it is not our right to tell them how to practice their religion. As for the aspersions on the chrurch I suggst you read history and see the good in additon to the bad you seem to have focused on. I would remind the writer that being forced to your world view is a totalitarian or fascist beahvior or are you so persfect we can default to your world view and the world will become the utopia your view wants to shove down everyone else’s throat

1. Joan says:

John, thank you for your comment, but I differ with you about the so-called historical evidence of female priests and female popes in the Catholic Church. There is no historical evidence of any such thing, only that it has been made up – perhaps you could share with us the historical evidences that you speak of regarding this.

12. farquar says:

The hypocrit never should have been involved with the church in the first place.

1. Herne says:

Catholicism and organized religion in general is hypocrisy. Organized Religion was designed by old world leaders as a means of controlling the masses…seems its still working. How any adult human being can actually believe in imaginary friends and have society consider them to be a sane adults…is amazing to me.

2. Vince Everett says:

No one should be involved with the roman catholic church, or any church! Give up this infantile superstitions, people!!

3. Herne says:

Nice to see the work of old world leaders still alive and well….you can kill a king… but not a god. Sane adults… do not have imaginary friends….
      Organized Religion is the root of all evil today….it was designed to control you. .editor….please print this one. please do not object to my freedom of speech. because of your own personal religious belief.

1. rowan says:

nah we have a new way to control people here in america. its the patriot act , the father of bog brother who is all ready here. pretty soon god wont have a thing to do with it. hell will not be the end all the gun will be.

4. Mark P. Kessinger says:

I went to college at Westminster Choir College in Princeton, which is probably the largest single institution devoted to the training of professional church musicians in the country. I can tell you this much, if gay people are no longer to be welcomed as organists/choir directors in Roman Catholic parishes, there will be a lot of empty organ benches in this country!

1. StGemmaGalganiFan says:

Its better that souls make it to heaven – the way they were intended rather than play organs in a Church.
        Catholics go to MASS not to CHURCH. We go to assist in the Holy Sacrifice of the mass – NOT TO PLAY the organ. There can be all the empty benches there can be – and we can still assist in the Mass.

5. Cory Gudwin says:

Best way to reform an organization is to remain active within it. Churches have reformed on many issues over the years and will reform on this as well.

There is still widespread ignorance everywhere regarding what exactly someone being gay actually means.

Folks who still insist that being gay is a choice and that there is some sort of chosen behavior that can be renounced need to get old and die off. These folks should note they have never encountered any gay person who said they chose to be gay.

Like racism and the end of Segregation, the passage of time matters in the gradual death of ignorance and hate.

13. TAG says:

Same thing happened to me in Slidell, LA at Central Baptist Church! I was the pianist and the pastor approached me prior to services and told me that he “did ot approve of my lifestyle and his wife would take over from here”. Left the church and never went back!

14. Greg says:

Instead of blaming the current priest, why not put the blame where it belongs; on the previous priest? If this guy has been a catholic for decades then he certainly should know what the Bible says about a man laying with another man as a woman. It doesn’t matter if you or I believe in what the Bible says, this guy allied himself with a group of people whose written beliefs called his lifestyle an abomination. His previous priest overlooked this because he is probably a good choir director. That priest sacrificed his integrity for a good choir. Mr. Russell knew where he stood, he just hoped no one would have the “bad taste” to tell him.

1. Vince Everett says:

Yes, with the roman catholic church it is an abomination for a man to lie with another man, unless he is below the age of 16. Then it is completely acceptable!!

1. Herne says:

Last time I said I had imaginary friend… they tried to medicate me.

2. Joan says:

Vince your childish comment is noted. But as I stated before, the investigation performed on the Priest Abuse Scandal verified that the majority of victims were males between the ages of 13 and 18. That is not pedophilia, and I don’t know of any straight men who would have sex with a teenage boy, a teenage girl perhaps, but not a boy. These priest abusers were, in the majority, homosexual.

15. Jewells says:

This is a set up ! Plain and simple….A SET UP ! It was planned and it’s being done on purpose .

16. Donna Lusciousdc Sayles-Corbin says:

I REALLY don’t understand him. How can you believe in the Bible’s teachings and be Gay? it definitely states men shall not lie with men. So do you pick and choose which passages you believe or what?

1. Mavent says:

Oh, the irony. Tell me Donna, when was the last time you stoned someone to death for working on Sunday? Or bore a hole through your slave’s ear to show ownershp? Or allowed your husband to have sex with your daughters to “preserve his seed”? And let’s hope you don’t eat shellfish, wear mixed fabrics, or have earrings, because otherwise, you’re one of those hypocrites that “pick and choose which passages you believe”.

1. Amanda R says:

AMEN Mavent! It’s the sheer hypocrisy that irks me the most whenever people start using the bible to root against gay rights and marriage. If we used that same part of the bible as rules for people getting married then there would be a very small number of people who are worthy.

2. jayNflo11 says:

totally agree..Adam & Eve were created by GOD Himself!!..Not Adam & Steve or Eve & Eva..All gays in this world will take part in the lake of fire. the bible clearly warns us about this. God have mercy on their soul.

3. Vince Everett says:

Exactly!!!! How can any one believe in the bible???? A talking snake??? Puh-leeze!!! Gotta be a fool to be religious!!!

1. Jean says:

It is a misuse of scripture to read the Creation accounts literally or to treat the Bible like a science textbook. Science deals with the “how” of creation (e.g. How does a plant make food from sunlight?). Religion deals with the “why”: Why is there something rather than nothing? Genesis is not a scientific cosmology, it’s a theological meditation on the origin of creation.

This is straight from the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC 282-289).

17. Andy says:

Yes he should resign and everyone in the church that thought he was a good man, should leave also. If they don’t they are promoting discrimination and unchristian beliefs.

1. Doug says:

but then the church will have to have 3,4,5 “collections” ( shakedowns) to make up for the lost revenue when so many people leave.

18. barry says:

Proof positive that, whenever an order leaves a church and the local diocese takes over, compassion and reason flee the door and dogma takes over.

Yes, every church has the right to preach its take on the Bible, but that should never extend to workplace harassment..

19. elleblue says:

The church has a right to defend it’s beliefs. Frankly I’m tired of people confusing respect with acceptance. I can and do respect other people’s beliefs however I do not necessarily accept them.

I also deserve to have my beliefs respected. If this man felt uncomfortable in his role because there is a conflict between his life style and church teachings then yes I say leave.

1. Dean says:

And I deserve to have my beliefs respected too. And I say you’re a hater just like that priest.

2. rick says:

but then why does it teach only certain beliefs and some not out of its own convenience??? such as its views on divorce, slavery, body modification?

20. Sarah says:

All of you who bash Christians need to consider that not all Christians are the same. I feel insulted to be lumped in with the fanatics. I have no reason to judge anyone.

1. Jorge says:

If you feel insulted to be lumped by fanatics, then you need to remind those fanatics that they don’t represent you. Many of you christians complain that you’re lumped with fanatics, but you should not yell at us for doing so; yell at your fellow fanatics christians to stop misrepresenting you. I bet you won’t do that. Thus we won’t stop lumping you all together.

1. Dean says:

Amen! Stand up and do something about it, as an “insider,” if you don’t agree with the haters. If you remain silent, that makes you culpable too. Speak up when these crimes of conscience are being committed!

21. mike says:

The reason I left the catholic church

1. TJ says:

The bible also says you should not eat shellfish. When was the last time you had shrimp hypocrite?

22. John says:

The Bible says “Man shall not lie with Man”.

1. johnjon says:

The Bible also says it’s none of your business what others do. Or just to pass no judgement – so either come out of the closet already or quit the jealous rages over other people’s freedom to be happy.

1. Zagnut says:

It actually doesn’t say either of those things Johnjon – better start again and read it before your own happiness ends.

2. Jorge says:

Why should we care what the bible say?

1. donadei says:

Because it is the inspired Word of God, Jorge.

3. MamaK says:

that was in response to Romans raping young boys ….

4. donadei says:

Phil, as a Catholic praying for your salvation, please be careful about what you say. Can you prove that the Bible is a book of lies? The fact that it is old, and yet ‘ever new, is something to consider: Love your neighbor as you love yourself; love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you; for God so loved the world that he gave His only Son…

1. Vince Everett says:

Of course we can prove that the buybull is full of lies! Read the thing!!! Christ-on-a-stick, the best argument against the buybull IS the buybull!!

And as you pointed out, the vile, cruel, vindictive blood-thirsty god so needed a human sacrifice that he committed infanticide with his only son! What an awesome deity!! Really makes me want to worship it!!

Reject these ancient superstitions and embrace Reason!!!

1. Scott says:

May God have mercy on your soull sinner, You will never join the kingdom of heaven. Rather you will be cast into the lake of fire . Repent your ways.

2. Joan says:

Vince, first off, Christ is God, the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity, so God actually gave His own Life, of His own volition. Second, human sacrifices were going on all around the world at the time of Moses and the Israelites, but God told the Israelites that it was wrong, so they sacrificed animals instead. However, in Psalm 51(I think that’s the one) God says, I desire mercy, not sacrifice. God was not cruel and vindictive- fallen humankind was and is, and certain laws and prohibitions in the Old Testament have to be read with a knowledge of the context of how the world was back then, and what things were accepted by people in general.

3. Joan says:

Vince, your immaturity shows in the way you choose to spell Bible. The Bible has been around a lot longer than you and will be around for a lot longer after you have departed this life. You really can’t stand that, can you?

5. Seraphim0 says:

Burden of proof is on the proclaimer, not the doubter.

6. Doug says:

its a misprint. It’s supposed to say: “Man shall not lie, man”

7. Ashlye Luedke says:

Zagnut: Actually the Bible does say not to judge or you will be judged. Matthew 7:1

23. amf says:

Right on Rob!

The Bible was written by men, by man (fallible man). Over the years it is been interpreted and reinterpreted to suit the needs of man. Actually, because of Vatican II it was reinterpreted big time and we changed the way many things that Catholics had done and how they did them. This year, many prayers are being changed, prayers that have been uttered word for word for my whole lifetime are now being changed to suit the needs of the church at the moment. So, please don’t follow the Bible to the letter folks. I will say it again, God made us in his image. Gay, straight, we are like him. Let Bob Russell be. Treat him as you would want to be treated.

1. Joan says:

AMF said “Gay, straight, we are like him. Let Bob Russell be. Treat him as you would want to be treated.” And if I was engaging in seriously sinful practices while a member of the Catholic Church, I would want to be encouraged to stop those activities and given the help to do so if needed, not be told that my sinning was perfectly ok and that nobody cared enough for my soul to steer me in the right direction.

24. amf says:

I agree 1000% with RickOkps. (except that I am a straight woman)

25. RickOPKS says:

I write this as a straight man. Since scientific evidence is increasingly demonstrating that people are born straight, gay, bisexual or with a profound sense of being transgender — brain wiring, etc. — one could conclude that God (if there is one) made people this way for Its/Her/His own purposes, or structured nature to make them this way. Just as we accept that the earth revolves around the sun (we do, don’t we? At least most of us do) the structure of the solar system ceased to be a religious question for the Catholic Church since the mid-20th Century. Perhaps in another 400 years, the Catholic Church will come around to the scientific opinion as it did on the heliocentric solar system. In the meantime, one would think that a church which has become notorious for covering up and hiding rampant sexual abuse of minors — including a great deal of same-sex abuse — would have enough political and cultural savvy to just keep its mouth shut on the issue.

1. frespech says:

Facts are still out when you study identical twins the assumption genetically would be that if one was gay yhen the twin would also be gay but alas this has not been found to hold true. Just because Dr. Phil believes it does not make it so. If the agenda has been to make it a reality just keep telling the lie over and over and over and over until it becomes the truth. There is no gene proof at all.

1. Cory Gudwin says:

Find me one gay person anywher who says they made a choice to be gay. Just one. Anywhere. You will not find any because they don’t exist. Sorry our reality doesn’t fit your bible. Then again, the bible refers to the Earth as flat and implies the Sun revolves around it.

26. Cory Gudwin says:

How do you argue with a book mixing history with absurd fairy tales?

27. CarchariasUh says:

1. Brendan says:

Wow. Your nice.

28. Allison says:

How is this guy going to sue the church? I’m gay and was raised Catholic, I’ve always known the Church’s views on me although I disagree with that view. We have separation of church and state for a reason, I don’t want religion being able to tell me what to do so why would I want to tell them what to do. It’s a church! Spiritual belief is not something anybody should be able to mess with just like nobody should be able to mess with who I fall in love with.

29. Brieck CorleoneEplei ArttooBugatta says:

God did not make a D to be abused with men!!

30. Brieck CorleoneEplei ArttooBugatta says:

God did not make a C to be abused with men!!

31. Brieck CorleoneEplei ArttooBugatta says:

TrU

32. Hello says:

read Caesar’s Messiah. to learn about ho wrote the bible and why..
    The bible is a joke book…

1. John Rossomando says:

Hello. How very open-minded of you.

33. Andy P says:

I was born gay, raised Catholic. That said, I would recommend that you go to a church that follows Christ and the New Testament. The Old Testament is an oral history that has been passed down by the generations until it was finely written down by the Greeks. Those that pick and choose only from one book of the bible have one half the story. Don’t forget that Christ said “He who is without sin, cast the first stone”. The Catholic Church needs to remember all their sin’s prior to casting stones.

1. Andy P says:

Examples of the sins of the church:
      El Pergia (killing o scientists during the 15 & 1600’s because they did not support the churches beliefs).
      The Inquisition (killing or imprisoning of anyone that apposed the church) which lead to an enormas land grab that the church benefited from. Land, art, treasure, etc also added to the coffers of the church.
      Not protecting Jews during the holocaust and allowing them to be executed in gas chambers or burned alive.
      Telling the US that they need to welcome every illegal alien with open arms while the church leadership lives within a walled citadel and doesn’t allow anyone that is married, or a church official to live within the Vatican, let alone anyone that has a different belief than Roman Catholicism.

1. Hello says:

the church priests are married to each other…. that is why they do not allow them to marry women… They are all fathers to each other…

2. Joan says:

Andy, the Church, especially Rome and Pope Pius XII did quite a lot to protect the Jews-The Pope ordered that Roman Jews be hid in the Vatican and that religious orders take them in and hide them. The newspapers of the time as well as various prominent people all spoke of how much the Pope had done for the Jews. And if he didn’t do enough, it was because there would have been backlash against Christians as well, however, he did a heck of a lot more to help as many Jews as he could- where was the rest of the world? What about the U.S.? Oh we were there after it was over- to release those who survived the concentration camps. Too bad we didn’t get there years earlier.

3. Steve says:

1) the Church didn’t kill scientist this is nonsense & very inaccurate
        2) Do you even know what the Inquisition was? there was no plunder for land, art, treasure, etc etc etc. Seriously where do you get your history at?
        3) Not protecting Jews?!?! WOW you do need to read up on this issue you’ll apologize quickly when you do
        4) again more nonsense

2. Hello says:

the new testament was written by Roman Caesar’s to fool the then Jews to worship them in there temples just like they demanded the other pagan religions of the era. the Jews refused, so the Romans created Christianity with its roots in the Torah so they would be willing to transition to the new Roman approved myth.
      READ Caesar’s Messiah… for more info…

Titus is the real Jesus who was the son of the then Roman Caesar who was god… therefore Tutus was given the distinction of being the son of god.. So was Jesus. They are one and the same.. only Titus was real Jesus was not.

1. Andy P says:

If the church’s priests are “married” to each other, then there is no reason to mention the pedophilia that has been running rampant these past few decades.

2. terrye Lucas says:

Thanks for the laugh I will enjoy the entire weekend. Where on earth did you get your history lesson?

3. Julie says:

love to see where you got your info on the subject.care to share?

4. too tomato says:

OMG! Are you serious? Please, time to change your meds!

3. Old Salt says:

How do you trust a church that says it is based on the life and teachings of one man, but HIS religion isn’t good enough for them?

4. extreme kingdom warrior says:

no offense, but studies show that no one is born gay. it is a conscious choice that you make. like i said, no offense…just want to be helpful.

1. whatever says:

You need to do some more research in sources that are not from “Focus on the Family” and other anti-gay organizations. The vast majority of recent scientific studies say that gay is innate. And the experience of millions of people has to count for something. I never made a choice, just like you probably never made a choice to be hetero (I’m assuming you are).

34. Trey says:

And what exactly did Jesus put in place for us in regards to gay people? There is not a single comment in scripture from Jesus on this topic. If he was so alarmed and offended by same gender loving relationships, don’t you think he would’ve spoken about it in a direct and forthright way?

1. Harviele says:

He said “follow me and I will make you fishers of men” sounds pretty gay to me. LOL.

35. Cindy says:

Make sure if you are going to insist on the laws of Leviticus being followed that you follow them ALL: Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, These are the beasts which ye shall eat among all the beasts that are on the earth.
    3: Whatsoever parteth the hoof, and is clovenfooted, and cheweth the cud, among the beasts, that shall ye eat.
    4: Nevertheless these shall ye not eat of them that chew the cud, or of them that divide the hoof: as the camel, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you.
    5: And the coney, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you.
    6: And the hare, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you.
    7: And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you.
    8: Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcase shall ye not touch; they are unclean to you.
    9: These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat.
    10: And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you:
    11: They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination.
    12: Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.
    13: And these are they which ye shall have in abomination among the fowls; they shall not be eaten, they are an abomination: the eagle, and the ossifrage, and the ospray,
    14: And the vulture, and the kite after his kind;
    15: Every raven after his kind;
    16: And the owl, and the night hawk, and the cuckow, and the hawk after his kind,
    17: And the little owl, and the cormorant, and the great owl,
    18: And the swan, and the pelican, and the gier eagle,
    19: And the stork, the heron after her kind, and the lapwing, and the bat.
    20: All fowls that creep, going upon all four, shall be an abomination unto you.
    21: Yet these may ye eat of every flying creeping thing that goeth upon all four, which have legs above their feet, to leap withal upon the earth;
    22: Even these of them ye may eat; the locust after his kind, and the bald locust after his kind, and the beetle after his kind, and the grasshopper after his kind.
    23: But all other flying creeping things, which have four feet, shall be an abomination unto you.
    24: And for these ye shall be unclean: whosoever toucheth the carcase of them shall be unclean until the even.
    25: And whosoever beareth ought of the carcase of them shall wash his clothes, and be unclean until the even.
    26: The carcases of every beast which divideth the hoof, and is not clovenfooted, nor cheweth the cud, are unclean unto you: every one that toucheth them shall be unclean.
    27: And whatsoever goeth upon his paws, among all manner of beasts that go on all four, those are unclean unto you: whoso toucheth their carcase shall be unclean until the even.
    This is only one other chapter. Read it all and follow it all if you want to speak the “truth”.
    Good luck with that.

1. Mark says:

Why do you cite the law? Christians are not under the law. What about what the New Testament says? For example Roman 1:24 – 27

So God let them go ahead and do whatever shameful things their hearts desired. As a result, they did vile and degrading things with each other’s bodies. Instead of believing what they knew was the truth about God, they deliberately chose to believe lies. So they worshiped the things God made but not the Creator himself, who is to be praised forever. Amen.

That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. And the men, instead of having normal sexual relationships with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men and, as a result, suffered within themselves the penalty they so richly deserved.

1. Elly says:

YESSSSSS!!!!

2. john says:

wow your an idiot, i seriously hope you were tooo dumb to figure out how to vote because by the way you talk i highly doubt you graduated from HS.

3. whatever says:

You do realize that the bible was not originally written in english, right? These passages have been translated and re-translated through the years. In the context of the times in which the book of Romans was written, the acts being condemned were not condemned for their same-genderness, but rather for their lust and idolatry. It’s also been suggested from the greek words chosen at the time, that the “unnatural” ways were referring not to “same-genderness” but rather to the practice of, well, using the back door, to avoid pregnancy. Again, applies to hetero couples as well. Consider that most of the context of the time on this issue is lost in the multiple translations. If Jesus himself thought it such a big issue, why does he not say anything about it himself, and why is the bible so vague elsewhere? God gave you a mind to think. Don’t just accept what I say, go research it yourself.

1. Crusader says:

Whatever:
          your comment regarding your interpretation of the Bible makes it clear that God needed to establish ONE teaching authority on earth to interpret the Bible passages correctly, otherwise you or anybody else could read it and come up with all kind of apparently reasonable but contradictory and incorrect conclusions and then NO ONE would know what to believe in the Bible.
          Well, God did just that, he did establish on earth an authority to teach his laws, to correctly make sense of the books in the Bible and other sayings of Jesus not written in the Bible: the ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH, under the authority of the Pope which is the successor of Peter, who received DIRECTLY FROM CHRIST such authority, when HE told him that Peter would be given the keys to the kigdom of heaven – the symbol of such authority

2. RobVA says:

Romans written by Paul, aka Saul, never knew Jesus, never met him, never heard Jesus preach. Saul “claimed” to have a vision of Christ long after he died (no one witnessed it). He had spent his prior life persecuting people and continued to do so in his writings.

3. Beth Reiter says:

wow that’s confusing. the only thing that made any sence is (i think…) we aren’t supposed to eat shellfish. Is that right? I have a shellfish allergy, so am I super holy?

4. Crusader says:

Cindyr
      your comment regarding your interpretation of which Bible rules apply to Christians today makes it clear that God needed to establish ONE teaching authority on earth to interpret the Bible passages correctly, otherwise you or anybody else could read it and come up with all kind of apparently reasonable but contradictory and incorrect conclusions and then NO ONE would know what to believe in the Bible.

36. Tell it says:

Did Jesus tell you that himself ? And if so I dare you to walk up in your local crazy house and tell them that, I bet they lock you up.. That catholic priest got some nerve I wonder which alter boy he’s doing…..

1. Hello says:

I can imagine they all have had the pleasure of serving the priest

37. Crystal says:

@ Diane…. I was Amening you… not ErickMN.

38. Crystal says:

AMEN

1. ErickMN says:

Ah, how sweet, more Christian “love”. One bigot supporting another. Oh yeah, that’s call the Catholic Church.

1. John Rossomando says:

You mean heretic. Bigotry=heresy.

39. ErickMN says:

The babbling of a brainwashed bigot. You Christians are truly a hateful lot. God created gay people too. Gay is not a choice, but bigotry is. Shame on you.

1. Sarah says:

no, society created gay people

1. Hello says:

and that was like how many millions of years ago before they desert myths were dreamed up?

2. John says:

you need a serious reality check

2. RobVA says:

sally, by your logic society created straight people too

3. ErickMN says:

“society created gay people”? What does that even mean? It’s ignorance like that that feeds bigotry against gay people and drives gay kids to suicide. The vast majority of medical, psychological and psychiatric organization in the US support the idea that sexual orientation is an innate part of who we are. We don’t choose it. When exactly did you choose to be straight Sarah? And why would anyone choose to be gay? Because it’s fun to be persecuted, ostracized, abused, belittled, etc.? So much for Christian “love”.

1. michele says:

love it!

2. frespech says:

Why would anyone choose to be a pedaphile, a sado masochist. a foot fetish.
        Truthfully I don’t know.

40. Joe Johnson says:

‘Russell’s attorney said they have not filed a lawsuit because they are exploring different options, including whether they can have a dialogue with the Catholic Church and get Russell’s job back or have him transferred to another parish.’

The attorney didn’t file a lawsuit because a lawsuit isn’t warranted. The man resigned, the church didn’t fire him.

1. Abby says:

He could sue if it’s a hostile work environment..

1. John Rossomando says:

This is a prime example of why we need the separation of secularism and state. Secularists need to keep their secularism to themselves and stop forcing other people think like them.

Let’s get secularism out of politics and force government to be value-neutral.

2. Sally says:

he’s obviously a noob

41. jamocha says:

Freedom of choice is good. Go work for a church that condones your lifestyle. No church should force their beliefs on you; and you should not force your beliefs on any church.

42. markus says:

Go work for another church. You are not bound to work for the Catholic church.

1. Brieck CorleoneEplei ArttooBugatta says:

nice

43. Joe says:

I’d trust a gay guy in a relationship with the youth choir sooner than I’d trust a “celibate” priest.

44. LegalOrNot says:

I think the point is really: Is it legal or illegal for a workplace to discriminate based on sexual orientation. If it is legal, then he has no case… if it is illegal to discriminate then he has a case. Period.

Whatever the Church, as a whole, feels about welcoming people into the parish as equals needs to be kept seperate from the business side of paid employees.

45. sumday says:

Look the bible has been around for a few 1000yrs- it says what it says. If you are gay fine, but don’t go trying to change what the bible says. If you are not going to follow what it says just don’t go to church or call yourself a catholic/Christian. The bible is not a democracy, so stop trying to change what you don’t like about it. I know it must be hard for a gay person to obey the bibles commandments not to engage in those activities, but it is just as hard for a single person to refrain from those urges as well- and the church should enforce that as well. Remember taking the lords name in vein is much more than saying GD- it is to call yourself one of G-d’s servant/child (taking G-ds name) and not obeying him (your actions are vein- you took his “name” by calling yourself one of his and it was vein to you- it had no meaning or value in your life) by doing so you not only deceive yourself but other around you who are watching and learning from you.

1. KKDenver says:

“and the church should enforce that as well.” You gotta be out of your bible thumping mind. If you try to enforce your BS on me I’ll cook you and eat you.

Oh and learn how to spell loser “vein?’ really you mainline God do you?

1. thompson says:

you missed the whole point on what sumday was saying…..i refuse to explain it to you because it is obvious that you do not want to know the point…. you rather say something ridiculus in return because you can’t respond to such truth…….i am sure you are going to have something smart to say abou what i am writing….maybe my grammer is poor or i sound foolish or i can’t spell to save my life and maybe you are right about that but at the end of the day the truth is stilling standing with or without your approval…..God bless you

2. CatholicCulture says:

Attack the person, not the issue. LOL, you guys need to stop trying to change the Church, its a free society.

2. Cindy says:

See my reply above – if you insist on following 1 line from the 27 Chapters of Leviticus, you have to follow them ALL! No, shellfish, no pork, no dairy and meat in the same meal (how did that last cheeseburger taste?), no mixing of different kinds of cloth worn at the same time. Was your wife a virgin? If not, we are supposed to stone you both. Oh, and make sure you buy and sell slaves. That is required in Leviticus too.

1. Sara Louise says:

great comment

2. frespech says:

Cindy, Try and understand that the levitical laws were done away with as Christ was the fullfillment of those laws. We also don’t offer burnt sacrifices anymore.

3. Joan says:

Cindy, as frespech pointed out, the Levitical laws were done away with after Christ-he fulfilled the old laws and a New Covenant was started. Your continuing to bring up those old laws that are obsolete for Christians is just a strawman argument. However, prohibitions against homosexuality were also stated in the New Testament as well as the old.

3. RobVA says:

The primary problem is that the Catholic Church does not “enforce” the sexual transgressions of straight people nor demonize those who practice artificial birth control, they just look the other way. It is far too easy to demonize a minority, a skill the Church has excelled in over the centuries.

1. Steve says:

Wrong. We condemn that just as much as homosexual acts. Birth control is an intrinsic evil & it is condemned just many cafeteria catholics don’t obey the teachings which is sad. Also, may want to check out http://www.couragerc.net

4. Hello says:

you must be Jewish.. you can’t can’t write god…

5. rob says:

You shouldn’t put too much faith in that book of yours. It’s a book, not the word of God. As someone pointed out below; there are plenty of passages in the book that permit people to come and stone you to death for minor things; or sell you or your wife and children into slavery. So either you follow the Bible to the letter; and you’re a bigot, a murderer and a slave trader, or you realize it’s JUST a book. You can’t say “Follow the Bible, but OH NOT THIS PART…this is wrong…”

Wake up and understand that God loves everyone; gay, straight and everything in between. You know why? BECAUSE HE MADE THEM THAT WAY! Who the heck are you to question God’s creation? It is MEN who made up the rules you insist we follow as God’s law. Stop trying to justify your own narrow mindedness by placing it on God. God made that gay man the way he is and God doesn’t make mistakes.

46. Isis says:

Ms. Sloan–
    I am a parishoner at St. Joseph’s and was present for that July 10th homily. It was my first experience with Fr. Astarita and it was very troubling. While I heard the anti-gay sentiments he made and personally disagree strongly with the Church on this issue, it is Church teaching and I felt he was within his rights to state it. However, it was Fr. Astarita’s anecdote about a young Catholic woman in his previous parish who was trying to decide whether to marry her Muslin boyfriend that made seriously consider walking out and taking my young daughter with me. He began by saying, “Now, I have nothing against Muslims…” (yeah, right) but “you know, they’re allowed to have 3 or 4 wives.” He also went on to say that basically anyone who wasn’t Catholic would not get to Heaven, a sentiment that I thought had left our Church years ago. He is a throwback to the worst kind of Catholicism but I hold out little hope of the diocese removing him, leaving me to make a choice about whether to continue to be part of a parish (ie, the people in the pews) I have come to love. My daughter has formed a connection to St. Joseph’s and was very warmly welcomed every week by the Franciscans of Holy Name Province, who were always outside welcoming everyone to Mass. It’s amazing and incredibly sad to me how much the parish has changed in a few short months.

1. Brenda says:

Vote with your feet. Leave and let the church leadership know why you’re leaving…and taking your tithes with you.

2. thompson says:

if you are there for the building and the warm welcome…..if you are not there for your very soul….you’re in the wrong place….God do not require us to sit up under false teaching…..when you are being judge by the almighty God…it will be you and you alone standing there….not your daughter by your side….your soul….your life…either in hell or heaven…because if you sit up under anyone who is not representing the true gospel….i don’t care how spirituallly strong you are…eventually you will fall right along with him

3. Hello says:

do your daughter and yourself a huge favor and dump the myth.. and stick with reality… live myth free and be FREE..

4. amazed says:

Don”t shoot the messenger. The Priest is only delivering the truth. It is high time, someone stands up to what they believe. Mr. don’t change your church or faith, change your ways. You thinking about suing, well you are a nut, don’t play with God, he is in charge of your next heart beat.

47. stanJames says:

what a rotten bigot you are. Jesus has probably already prepared your place in hell, along with that of the leaders of the vatican.

Everything I read says that catholic people are 50-50 on gay ciivil marriage, and the church does not speak with one voice on many issues.

But on the other hand, my whole extended family – about 43 people – all but a couple of old folks have left the church.

Its not the catholic people, its the frozen in space and time leadership that always seems to need someone to demonize and Hate.

BTW Hitler was a baptized catholic. I cannot find any information that he was ever excommunicated

But I did find the following webstie

tThis man should thank God that he is no longer working for this church, and move on in his life. I leave him, my best wishes..

As should every catholic with an open mind

48. AMF says:

God created us all in his image, like it or not folks. Mr. Russell had every right to be there in that church. He was a leader in prayer through song. He prayed right along with the rest of us sinners- as we all are. It constantly amazes me at the Catholic Church’s bewilderment that people go to church less and less. It is this outmoded, outdated, myopic view that somehow God is exclusionary– no folks– God loves us all. We are made in his image. Get over it.

1. l. says:

he could have stayed. Catholics have every right to believe as they do, just as Muslims have their rights, their laws, etc. You going to confront them? I thought not. The Bible is the handbook of the Catholics, and its their faith. It says what it says. No one forced him out.

1. Brieck CorleoneEplei ArttooBugatta says:

the devil molested him out of there

2. Phil says:

Please provide us with undeniable proof that god actually exists.

“the bible says so” is not proof.
      “the human eye is so complicated” no it’s not.
      “miracles happen everyday” no, that’s the law of probability.
      “he spoke to me in a dream” still not proof.

We are the products of billions of years of evolution. Early man did fine without the idea of god.

1. Colder says:

No we are from god you fool

1. Vince Everett says:

No, we are from Star Dust.

2. Vince Everett says:

Excellent points, Phil!

3. Nancy Martin says:

Read St. Thomas Aquinas. He gives 5 proofs that God exists. However, for the unbeliever no proof is enough. For the believer no proof is necessary.

3. joan says:

God does love us all, but He is not always pleased with our actions. All our welcome in the Catholic Church, but we must conform our lives to God’s ways not the ways of the world. You can think the Church is outmoded and myopic, I believe the Church has the Truth and the Truth doesn’t change-we are either created by God or not-the Church is guided by God or not. I choose to believe that the Catholic Church is here on earth by God’s design to help lead people to God and to love Him and follow Him. That also means that we are to try to avoid sin and with God’s grace we can. And I know from my own experience, the less I sin, the happier I am. (No more hangovers, or feeling terrible because I said something hurtful to someone, etc.)

49. Michael H. says:

“could care less”

Really CBS??

1. k9rescuer says:

Thank you, Michael H! I was wondering if I was the only one who noticed that! Ha!

1. Jaime says:

LOL, me too. That drives me nuts.

Comments are closed.