NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Now that cell phone service has arrived on part of the subway system, the program is poised to expand.
On Tuesday, AT&T and T-Mobile customers were able to get service at
- 23rd Street on the C & E platform
- The 6th & 8th Avenue L Stops
- 14th Street, at the 1, 2, 3, F, M, C, E and A stops.
The service is being provided after the two companies signed 10-year contracts to provide cell and Wi-Fi service through a network being built by Transit Wireless.
During the next phase of the rollout, Midtown Manhattan appears to be getting wired up. The following stations will receive service next:
- Along the 1, 2, and 3 line: 18th Street, 23rd Street, 28th Street, 50th Street, 59th Street, 66th Street, 72nd Street, 79th Street, 86th Street, 96th Street
- Along the N, Q, and R line: 23rd Street, 34th Street, 42nd Street, 49th Street, 57th Street, 5th Avenue
Other wired stations include:
- 7th Avenue B, D, and E
- 34th Street B, D, F and M
- Times Square A, C, E and Shuttle
- 50th Street C and E
- 57th Street F
- Columbus Circle A, C, B and D
- 72nd Street B and C
- 81st Street B and C
- 86th Street B and C
All underground stations are expected to be wired by 2016. Trains are not expected to have service between stations.
The cell phone service begins as the NYPD reported a spike in crime targeting electronic devices in the subway.
What do you think about getting cell phone service on the platform? Are you happy about it? Tell us in our comments section.