News

Officers In Sean Bell Shooting Case Face Departmental Trial

View Comments
Sean Bell, Nicole Paultre Bell (Photo/Handout)

Sean Bell, Nicole Paultre Bell (Photo/Handout)

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – A long-delayed disciplinary trial of two officers involved in the deadly shooting of an unarmed groom could got underway Monday.

Sean Bell, 23, was killed in a barrage of 50 bullets outside Club Kalua as he left his bachelor party in Queens on Nov. 25, 2006.

Officers fired into the car he was driving mistakenly believing Bell or one of his passengers had a gun and the men defied orders to halt and tried to drive away.

No weapon was recovered.

Detectives Gescard Isnora, Michael Oliver and Marc Cooper were acquitted of manslaughter and reckless endangerment.  Federal prosecutors declined to charge them with civil rights crimes.

The disciplinary hearing could cost Isnora and Officer Michael Carey, who was never charged with criminality, their jobs.

NYPD attorney Adam Sheldon said Carey fired three rounds without proper cause after Isnora’s “unjustified actions.” Sheldon said Carey never saw a threat coming from the car.

Isnora’s attorney, Philip Karasyk, said if Bell “had just put his foot on the brake instead of the accelerator, none of us would be here today.”

Bell’s mother, father and fiancée attended the proceedings which are open to the public.

Last year, the city paid a $7.2 million settlement in the Bell case. It was the city’s largest settlement ever in a fatal police shooting.

Do you think the officers should lose their jobs? Let us know below…

View Comments