News

Nassau County Passes $2.6 Billion Budget

View Comments
Ed Mangano (file / credit: County Executive's Office)

Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano (file/credit: County Executive’s Office)

MINEOLA, N.Y. (CBSNewYork/AP) – Nassau County officials have agreed to a $2.6 billion budget that calls for the closing of two police precincts and $150 million in union concessions.

The Republican majority in the Nassau legislature approved the budget Sunday night in a party-line vote of 11 to 8.

WCBS 880’s Mike Xirinachs with the details

The Nassau Interim Finance Authority, a state monitoring board that took control of county finances earlier this year, is reportedly expected to approve the plan.

Republicans noted the budget does not raise property taxes. Nassau County residents already pay the highest property taxes in the country, although the majority of that levy comes from local school district taxes, over which county officials have no control.

It calls for union concessions, including having employees pay 25 percent of their medical insurance costs. Without the concessions, County Executive Edward Mangano has said mandatory furloughs and layoffs would begin Jan. 1.

As many as 700 positions could be targeted; earlier this year nearly 130 workers were trimmed from the county payroll.

Union officials say they will fight the contract changes.

“This budget can’t possibly work,” said Civil Service Employees Association president Jerry Laricchiuta.

“There are some things that the unions could give back,” taxpayer Jim Smith told Xirinachs.

Although the two police precincts will be closed, county officials say there will be no reduction in police patrols.

What do you think of the budget deal? Let us know below…

View Comments