Police: Iraq War Veteran’s Wheelchair Stolen From Front Of Holbrook Home

More Than Anything, Chris Levi Wants His Purple Heart Patch Back

HOLBROOK, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — An Iraq War veteran, who lost both his legs in a roadside bombing four years ago, said his wheelchair was stolen from the front yard of his Holbrook home on Wednesday.

Chris Levi, 28, discovered his $3,000 custom-made wheelchair, with a Purple Heart and Army seal embroidered on the back of the seat, missing when he returned to his Mollie Boulevard home after running some errands.

“Either it shouldn’t have happened or it’s sad the fact that it had to happen,” Levi told CBS 2’s Emily Smith.

1010 WINS’ Mona Rivera with Chris Levi

Levi uses the wheelchair to get from his house to his specially-equipped car. His prosthetic legs and cell phone were inside the house, so he had to crawl inside to call for help.

“I’m an infantry soldier, I’ve been in situations that were much, much worse than having to put my butt on the ground,” Levi told 1010 WINS’ Mona Rivera.

Police believe it was stolen sometime between 5 p.m. and 5:45 p.m and appears to be grand larceny.

“There is the possibility that somebody may not have realize they were stealing the chair because it was near the curb, or it was stolen,” Suffolk County Police Lt. Det. Edward Reilly said.

WCBS 880’s Sophia Hall On The Story

Levi has been given a temporary wheelchair from the Northport Veteran’s Affairs Medical Center. He said he is eligible for a new chair but is especially attached to the Purple Heart on the chair.

“That I can never get more, unless they find it, I can’t get that back,” Levi said.

“For anybody, if they stole it maliciously for just a joy ride or just to scrap it for scrap metal, they didn’t steal just from me, they stole that Purple Heart patch from my mother,” Levi told CBS 2’s Smith.

chris levi Police: Iraq War Veterans Wheelchair Stolen From Front Of Holbrook Home

Christopher Levi in his wheelchair. (credit: Handout)

Levi insists he is not bitter.

“My number one feeling was just pity for the person who stole it, if they stole it maliciously,” he said.

Anyone with information is being asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS.

Please offer your thoughts in the comments section below. …

Comments

1. mimi joli says:

When I heard this story, my heart literally sank.

I hope this wheelchair was mistakenly taken.

2. Jen says:

It seems there is a possibility it was taken without realizing it was still someone’s property. The victim of the crime and police even elude to that fact. Either way, I hope, if anything at least the Purple Heart returns to him.

3. Jen says:

Your comment as nothing to do with the story reported. Take your soapbox elsewhere, at least a forum where it makes sense. And for the record, I am as wnti-Bush as you are.

4. Eileen Tenerella says:

talk about sinking low. He gave his legs and part of his arm to protect this worthless piece of sxxt. Lets set up a donation site. We can’t get his purple heart back, but maybe we can help with the chair.

5. thor's hammer says:

i hereby deputize all good citizens to drop a dime on whoever stole the wheelchair. there truly must be a special place in the afterlife for the likes of this/these poor excuses for oxygen consumption on the planet. i can’t share the remarkable kindness chris levi shows for the offender. truly, it is time for neighborhood watch to mount up and track down the desperadoes. as the aunt of veteran of 2 iraq tours, i’d just want 5 minutes with the felon. be afraid idiot, be very afraid. protective custody with the police is your best chance.

6. geoff says:

Stealing is becoming an way of life for many people. Federal Law enforcement employees are setting bad examples.

The FBI and DEA fabricate evidence, steal from suspects and use murder to close those bad cases.
    Corrupt FBI and DEA use no-knock warrants to enter suspect’s homes while they are away and steal items.
    They mostly steal watches, jewelry and less frequently expensive prescription drugs by returning a second time and swapping them with fakes.
    Some of them where stealing wear item parts off of cars, swapping them with old worn out parts from their personal autos and in some cases leaving the auto in a dangerous state. They can remove a car from your garage aparently whenever they feal like it. For us common citizens this would be called grand theft auto, for corrupt FBI and DEA employees this is allowed .
    They also loosened a gas fitting to my furnace which filled my garage with gas fumes.

1. Anthony Flynn says:

thanks for going way off topic with your paranoid rant. remember to take the meds next time, OK?

7. senior chief says:

just a tip, american legion or the vfw would get him one pronto

1. Eileen Tenerella says:

that would beautiful. can we make a donation to help?

8. steph says:

This is so sick!!! I’ve been researching and trying to put together a paper on veterans and what they go thru for my degree. I’ve found if they get a chance and rehabilitated that are great assets in the work place. There are a lot of things that we don’t understand because we haven’t been in the same positions they have. http://www.millionairehelp.org/27yo100disablediraq.htm This is one story I found while I was researching. I contacted him, and it was inspiring to hear his story and the sacrifices he’s given. Felt like I was being an interviewer for 60 min’s. There really is not that much help out there for them in the grand scheme of things. The help that is there for these vet’s usually comes after jumping threw a lot of hoops. These are things we don’t know, I wouldn’t either if I hadn’t gone down and talked to my local VFW. I was told about some of the cases they work for these guys. We are really blessed to have all of these insightful men and women, and hope we can turn their lives around without horrible things happening to them back here.

9. Steph says:

I’ve been researching and trying to put together a paper on veterans and what they go thru for my degree. I’ve found if they get a chance and rehabilitated that are great assets in the work place. There are a lot of things that we don’t understand because we haven’t been in the same positions they have. http://www.millionairehelp.org/27yo100disablediraq.htm This is one story I found while I was researching. I contacted him, and it was inspiring to hear his story and the sacrifices he’s given. Felt like I was being an interviewer for 60 min’s. There really is not that much help out there for them in the grand scheme of things. The help that is there for these vet’s usually comes after jumping threw a lot of hoops. These are things we don’t know, I wouldn’t either if I hadn’t gone down and talked to my local VFW. I was told about some of the cases they work for these guys. We are really blessed to have all of these insightful men and women, and hope we can turn their lives around.

10. nicole says:

I hope the thief gets run over by a bus

11. Nick says:

Break the thief’s legs so that he’ll know what it feels like.

Comments are closed.