News

Family Of Medford Pharmacy Massacre Victim Filing Lawsuit

View Comments
Medford pharmacy massacre victim Jamie Taccetta’s former husband James Malone (R) and attorney John Ray announce a lawsuit against the Suffolk County Police Department and others on Thursday, Feb. 9, 2012 (credit: Mona Rivera/1010 WINS)

Medford pharmacy massacre victim Jamie Taccetta’s former husband James Malone (R) and attorney John Ray announce a lawsuit against the Suffolk County Police Department and others on Thursday, Feb. 9, 2012 (credit: Mona Rivera/1010 WINS)

MILLER PLACE, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — The family of one of the victims killed in the Medford pharmacy massacre says they are filing a lawsuit against a number of defendants, including the Suffolk County Police Department and the owner of the pharmacy where the killings took place.

LISTEN: 1010 WINS’ Mona Rivera reports

The family of Jamie Taccetta is suing for $20 million in connection with her murder at Haven Drugs in Medford on Father’s Day of last year. Taccetta was killed along with three others by David Laffer during a robbery of the pharmacy.

Also named in the suit is the owner of Haven Drugs, the doctor who allegedly prescribed painkillers to Laffer and pharmaceutical companies that make the drug oxycodone.

Laffer robbed Haven Pharmacy to get thousands of pills to feed his drug habit.

Attorney John Ray, who is representing Taccetta’s two children, Miranda Malone and Kaitlyn Malone, says he thinks they’ll win against the drug companies unlike suits that have been brought against gun manufacturers that have been thrown out.

“Here, unlike guns, guns are not per say addictive, but drugs are and they know it,” said Ray.

“Winning in a lawsuit is not just about principle. It is also about acquiring money, and we’re wanting $20 million,” he added.

LISTEN: WCBS 880’s Sophia Hall On The Case

The suit also says police caused Taccetta’s death by failing to investigate Laffer’s gun license and not confiscating the gun he used in the murders.

“Everyone who was a part of this should suffer the consequences because if they would have done their jobs right, it would have been prevented,” said 16-year-old Miranda.

“Anybody who hurts my children and their mother will have to pay and suffer the consequences that they have coming to them,” said James Malone, father Of Miranda and Kaitlyn.

After pleading guilty, Laffer was sentenced to life in prison without parole.

His wife, Melinda Brady, was sentenced to 25 years in prison. Authorities said she drove the getaway car.

Legal expert Marc Gann with the Nassau Bar Association weighed in on the suit.

“I think it is an incredibly steep uphill battle to pursue an action like this. To hold other parties responsible for someone else’s criminal conduct, civilly, is a very, very difficult thing to do” he said.

Please leave a coment below…

View Comments