New Study Shows Surgery May Be Better Than Drugs To Control Type 2 Diabetes

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Type 2 diabetes is a global epidemic, afflicting tens of millions and costing hundreds of billions of dollars in healthcare, but now, a new study is showing that surgery may actually be a better option than drugs.

Gemma Venuti was once morbidly obese. The 5′ 4″ Westchester resident was pushing 200 pounds just a year and a half ago and worse yet, she had developed type 2 diabetes.

“I was taking different oral medications. It wasn’t working, so I was put on insulin,” said Venuti. “Still not really working for me and it started affecting my kidney and I had hypertension also.”

That’s when she decided to take a big step and had gastric bypass surgery, not to lose weight, although she lost 60 pounds, but to control her diabetes.

“My diabetes is normal now, in remission,” said Venuti. “My kidney function is all normal, I’m not taking any type of medication.”

Venuti’s success is not a fluke. In two major studies, researchers report that obesity surgery achieved far better blood sugar control than drugs in obese, type-2 diabetics.

“At least 75 percent of patients who had surgery had a condition that we call complete remission of diabetes,” explained Dr. Francesco Rubino. “In other words, they were able to stop their medications and their blood sugar levels became normal.”

The blood sugar control happened within two or three weeks, so it was not due to weight loss. But Dr. Rubino says exactly how surgery stops and reverses diabetes is not clear.

“Surgery changes the anatomy of the organ and as a result, changes the way the organ makes hormones and changes the metabolism,” said Rubino.

Venuti is just happy it worked.

“I feel better, much better,” she said. “I feel great.”

Dr. Rubinio is also performing the surgery on normal weight diabetics to see how it works on them.

Comments

1. good diet plan for men to lose weight says:

Hello There. I discovered your blog the usage of msn. That is an extremely neatly written article. I’ll make sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your helpful info. Thank you for the post. I’ll certainly return.

2. diet plan for men to lose weight says:

hello!,I like your writing so so much! share we keep in touch more about your post on AOL? I need a specialist on this house to unravel my problem. Maybe that’s you! Having a look ahead to see you.

3. diet recipes that taste good says:

Woah this blog is wonderful i like reading your articles. Keep up the good paintings! You know, lots of people are searching around for this information, you could aid them greatly.

4. Business,news,loose weight,exercise for weight loss,new weight loss,running for weight loss,weight loss after pregnancy,weight loss management,weight loss stories,center for medical weight loss,guaranteed weight loss,calories for weight loss,pcos weight l says:

I’ve been surfing on-line more than three hours these days, but I never discovered any interesting article like yours. It is beautiful price sufficient for me. In my opinion, if all website owners and bloggers made just right content material as you did, the internet might be much more useful than ever before.

5. Business,news,loose weight,exercise for weight loss,new weight loss,running for weight loss,weight loss after pregnancy,weight loss management,weight loss stories,center for medical weight loss,guaranteed weight loss,calories for weight loss,pcos weight l says:

Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all folks you actually recognize what you are speaking about! Bookmarked. Please also discuss with my site =). We will have a hyperlink trade contract among us

6. Business,news,loose weight,exercise for weight loss,new weight loss,running for weight loss,weight loss after pregnancy,weight loss management,weight loss stories,center for medical weight loss,guaranteed weight loss,calories for weight loss,pcos weight l says:

hello!,I like your writing very a lot! share we keep in touch more about your article on AOL? I require a specialist on this house to solve my problem. May be that is you! Looking forward to look you.

7. Business,news,loose weight,exercise for weight loss,new weight loss,running for weight loss,weight loss after pregnancy,weight loss management,weight loss stories,center for medical weight loss,guaranteed weight loss,calories for weight loss,pcos weight l says:

Hi my loved one! I want to say that this article is awesome, great written and include almost all vital infos. I would like to look extra posts like this .

8. Business,news,loose weight,exercise for weight loss,new weight loss,running for weight loss,weight loss after pregnancy,weight loss management,weight loss stories,center for medical weight loss,guaranteed weight loss,calories for weight loss,pcos weight l says:

I’ve been browsing on-line more than 3 hours nowadays, but I never discovered any fascinating article like yours. It is beautiful price sufficient for me. In my opinion, if all web owners and bloggers made good content material as you did, the internet will probably be a lot more helpful than ever before.

9. loose weight,exercise for weight loss,new weight loss,running for weight loss,weight loss after pregnancy,weight loss management,weight loss stories,center for medical weight loss,guaranteed weight loss,calories for weight loss,pcos weight loss,weight los says:

I’ll right away grasp your rss feed as I can’t in finding your email subscription hyperlink or e-newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Please let me recognise so that I could subscribe. Thanks.

10. loose weight,exercise for weight loss,new weight loss,running for weight loss,weight loss after pregnancy,weight loss management,weight loss stories,center for medical weight loss,guaranteed weight loss,calories for weight loss,pcos weight loss,weight los says:

Wonderful site. Lots of helpful info here. I am sending it to several pals ans also sharing in delicious. And obviously, thank you on your sweat!

11. loose weight,exercise for weight loss,new weight loss,running for weight loss,weight loss after pregnancy,weight loss management,weight loss stories,center for medical weight loss,guaranteed weight loss,calories for weight loss,pcos weight loss,weight los says:

I’m now not certain where you are getting your information, but great topic. I needs to spend a while studying more or understanding more. Thank you for wonderful info I used to be searching for this information for my mission.

12. Gemma says:

Diet, shmiet! Lemme get the biggie-size fries!

13. Matthew says:

And the diet that typically preceeds and continues after the surgery has the same effect I bet. Except for the lack of risk of death or injury that comes with the surgery.

1. Ben says:

I’m with this guy. Also great job linking to the two relevant studies CBS.

Comments are closed.