Jets

Should High-Profile Jets Just Say ‘No’ To HBO’s ‘Hard Knocks’?

View Comments
(credit: Patrick McDermott/Getty Images)

(credit: Patrick McDermott/Getty Images)

New York Jets
Upcoming Games

Buy Jets Tickets Full Schedule
Jets Central
Shop for Jets Gear
NFL Scoreboard
NFL Standings
Team STATS
Team Schedule
Team Roster
Team Injuries

NEW YORK (WFAN/AP) — Here we go again?

Coach Rex Ryan, Tim Tebow and the rest of Gang Green might be ready for a sequel on HBO’s “Hard Knocks.” Jets owner Woody Johnson says he’s heard talk that HBO is interested in signing up the team for its training-camp documentary show.

Johnson isn’t ruling it out.

But should he? “Hard Knocks” would bring more attention to a troubled team that floundered down the stretch in 2011. Not to mention the budding quarterback controversy in New York with Tebow and starter Mark Sanchez.

Johnson said Monday the team has not received a “formal invitation,” but “when we do, we will take a look at it.”

HBO said there will be a “Hard Knocks” before the 2012 NFL season begins following a hiatus last year because of the lockout. HBO spokesman Greg Domino said “we do not discuss the process.”

Speculation began after the Jets acquired Tebow in a trade with the Broncos.

Asked if there have been informal discussions with HBO, Johnson said, “yeah” but “it’s a formal invitation that we can respond to, not an informal (one).”

Johnson, who made his comments at the NFL’s new pop-up store featuring new team apparel, said the Jets’ 2010 appearance on the show brought “tremendous value” and that the feedback was only positive. The Jets went on to reach the AFC championship game.

If invited, Johnson said there would be a discussion about a return appearance.

“It’s something we would take a look at with (GM) Mike (Tannenbaum), and the coach, and (director of media relations) Bruce (Speight), and others that we think would add value to that discussion, to see whether it is something we want to do,” Johnson said.

Tannenbaum said he was “looking forward to another team on it this year” during a recent interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio. He clarified that comment in a statement issued by the team Monday night.

“When I made that comment, I never had an expectation that we’d be asked to do it again,” Tannenbaum said. “Obviously, if we’re asked, we’ll sit down and talk about it.”

A possible drawback could be the way last season ended, when locker-room issues became public and there was much finger-pointing at Sanchez. The Jets missed the playoffs after reaching the AFC title game the previous two seasons.

“I think all those concerns, the positives and negatives, we’d have to look at, sit around the table and say yay or nay,” Johnson said. “It’s not a perfect science. But we’d use our best judgment at that point.”

Also chiming in was Jets tight end Dustin Keller, one of several current and former players who attended the store opening.

“We would be good for Hard Knocks, especially with Rex’s personality, the Tebow trade. I definitely see how we would be appealing,” Keller said. “With everything that’s going on right now, there couldn’t be any more exposure.”

Should the Jets just say “no”? Sound off in the comments below…

(TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

View Comments