Giants’ Victor Cruz Reiterates Vow Not To Be Training Camp Holdout
Giants CentralBuy Giants Tickets
NEW YORK SPORTS HEADLINES
NEW YORK (WFAN) – Victor Cruz wants the Giants to put a little extra of the green stuff in his salsa.
Cruz, now a household name, wants to be paid like one. But he’s not about to become a training camp holdout if New York declines to show him the money.
“I’ve never been the kind of guy to hold out or rebel or anything like that,” Cruz reiterated Thursday. “I didn’t have that opportunity. I didn’t get drafted. … I’m just happy to be here, man. The money stuff and the contract stuff will kind of take care of itself.”
Earlier this month, Cruz vowed to be team-first despite his contract situation. He even proclaimed the word “holdout” was not even in his vocabulary.
Cruz earned a modest $405,000 in 2011 and set a Giants franchise record with 1,536 receiving yards. He’s slated to make $540,000 in base salary next season. General manager Jerry Reese said Thursday an extension for Cruz would be among many items on the team’s “plate.”
The 25-year-old Super Bowl champion told ProFootballTalk.com in February he deserved “to be paid more money at this point.”
On Thursday, Cruz admitted he took a step back from discussing it, worried that fans would see him as just another greedy football player.
“I think the context I used it in was the right way,” he said. “I didn’t try to make it seem like I was just being selfish or anything like that. … I got a little nervous, but I continued to remain focused and stay humble and then I just kind of stopped talking about it overall.”
Do you think Cruz is a refreshing change in pro sports — or crazy not to stiff-arm Big Blue for more cash? Sound off below!