CBS2-Header-Logo WFAN 1010WINS WCBS tiny WLNYLogo

News

Charges Against Accused ‘Well-Dressed Groper’ Expected To Be Dropped

Karl Vanderwoude (credit: CBS 2)

Karl Vanderwoude (credit: CBS 2)

TRI-STATE NEWS HEADLINES

From our newsroom to your inbox weekday mornings at 9AM.
Sign Up

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Prosecutors may drop charges against Karl Vanderwoude, the 26-year-old man accused of being the so-called “well-dressed groper.”

1010 WINS’ Sonia Rincon reports

Vanderwoude is expected to meet with Manhattan’s District Attorney on Monday during which the charges against him for allegedly groping women are expected to be dropped.

Vanderwoude was charged with forcible touching, unlawful surveillance and sexual abuse in connection with a series of groping incidents in April.

He was arrested after two of the victims picked him out of a lineup, police said.

But Vanderwoude’s lawyer John Tumelty told 1010 WINS that an alibi proved he did not commit the crimes.

“For one date that was charged, we were able to produce video footage of him at his own office in Manhattan and on the March 30 incident, we had his partners from work who were with him together, they had dinner and were together from about 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. and that incident occurred at 7:30 p.m. at a different location,” he said.

The Bible study leader told CBS 2’s Chris Wragge that he was innocent last month and said that his life has been a nightmare since his arrest.

“I can certainly look you in the eyes and say that I have never groped a woman, and I’m not responsible for any of these charges,” Vanderwoude said.

WCBS 880’s Alex Silverman reports

The DA’s office declined to comment, but Tumelty said the DA has seen security tapes and dinner receipts backing Vanderwoude’s alibi.

Vanderwoude is not planning any legal action at this time, according to his attorney.

Offer your thoughts and comments in the section below…