Five Manholes Catch Fire In Harlem, Knocking Out Power To Hi-Rise
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – An underground blaze tore through five manholes in Harlem Monday.
Con Ed says two cables caught fire on Amsterdam Avenue from 131st Street to 133rd Street.
The fire caused some of the manhole covers to blow off, Con Ed said.
Power was knocked out to a 25-story building at 1470 Amsterdam. Elevators were knocked out at two nearby buildings as well.
The Fire Department is checking the buildings for high levels of Carbon Monoxide.