Giants’ Cruz Wants New Deal This Season; Ex-NFL Player: Sit Out!
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Victor Cruz is underpaid — he knows it, and surely the Giants know it.
The star wide receiver is looking for a bump from the $540,000 he’ll earn this season. Cruz, who hasn’t been shy about his contract status, stayed true to his word and showed up to training camp on time this summer.
But make no mistake, the Giants’ good soldier wants to sign his name to a new deal — this season.
“I’m just in a position right now where I’m just focused on football,” Cruz told WFAN’s Mike Francesa on Tuesday. “I have people, my agents and things like that, to worry about that stuff. But as a human being, you obviously want to … you hope you get it done before the season’s over, obviously.”
LISTEN: Victor Cruz with Mike Francesa
Cruz will become a restricted free agent after this season. He set a franchise record with 1,536 receiving yards in last year’s championship campaign.
He hasn’t slowed down. The 25-year-old has 50 receptions for 627 yards and seven touchdowns in 2012.
“We don’t want to drag it along and become something that blocks the team in the offseason … something that is in the media every day,” Cruz said.
Former NFL offensive lineman Ross Tucker said Wednesday that Cruz should think about playing hardball with New York.
“Victor Cruz should consider sitting out until he gets a new deal,” the player-turned-analyst tweeted. “$285K for next 9 weeks not worth injury risk.”
Such a move — unimaginable from the affable Paterson, N.J., native — would send shock waves across the Tri-State area.
“I love this team, I love this organization,” Cruz told WFAN. “I want to, God willing, one day retire a Giant.”
How much does Cruz deserve from the G-Men? Be heard in the comments below!