Robinson Cano: Contract Status Is On My Mind, But It’s Not A Distraction
New York Yankees
Buy Yankees Tickets
TAMPA, Fla. (CBSNewYork/AP) — Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano says his contract status is on his mind, though not a distraction.
Cano is due $15 million in the final season of what became a $57 million, six-year deal and is eligible for free agency after the World Series.
A day after Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said the team had made a significant offer during the offseason to Cano’s agent, Scott Boras, Cano declined to address the matter Friday but did say: “It’s never going to go out of your head.”
“I don’t want to be a distraction to the team,” Cano added. “Just focus on playing baseball.”
He hit .313 with 33 homers and 94 RBIs last year but was 3-for-40 (.075) with no homers and four RBIs during the playoffs, including a postseason-record 0-for-29 skid.
“I have one more year on my contract,” Cano said. “I have to perform and help the team win another championship.”
Cano plans to leave Yankees camp this weekend to join the Dominican Republic’s World Baseball Classic team, which plays the Yankees in an exhibition game Wednesday. It will mark the first time Cano will play against the team that signed him as a free agent in January 2001.
The 30-year-old has been selected to the American League All-Star team four times and is a two-time Gold Glove Award winner.
How can it not be a distraction for Robbie? Sound off with your thoughts and comments below…
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)