NEW YORK (WLNY) — It finally feels as if summer is around the corner, and that means our furry friends need some special care: From making sure that ticks and other bugs stay away — to making sure they don’t overheat.
More: Summertime Pet Tips
Dr. Elizabette Cohen, WCBS pet reporter, veterinarian and author of “Most Of My Patients Wear Fur,” joined us on The Couch to give us some tips to keep our pets happy and healthy this summer season.
- To keep your furry friends cool, make sure to have the AC on in the home and in the car
- Another stay cool tip: Use wet paper towel to wipe them down
- Feed them vanilla ice cream or yogurt
- Shaving your pet’s hair is not a good idea, as they can get sunburned
- Dogs with pink noses get sunburned faster — protect your pet’s schnoz by using a marker to blacken it
- Find products that protect from felas, ticks and mosquitos
- For older pets, swimming is great exercise as it is easier on the joints