Yankees Reach Agreement With 1st-Round Pick Ian Clarkin
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The Yankees have reached an agreement with first-round selection Ian Clarkin, according to WFAN and CBSSports.com baseball insider Jon Heyman.
Clarkin, one of the team’s three draft picks in the opening round, has agreed to a slot-money deal worth $1,650,100, Heyman reported.
The 18-year-old left-handed pitcher was selected No. 33 overall. Clarkin apologized earlier this month for saying he “cannot stand the Yankees” in a video televised on draft night.
“It was taken out of context completely,” Clarkin said during a conference call, explaining that he was just teasing his mother, a die-hard Yankees fan.
The tall high school starter had previously committed to his hometown University of San Diego.
“It will just have to come down to life-changing money,” Clarkin said on June 7. “We are going to have to talk about it over as a family, see what works best for me, see what works best for the family. Hopefully, we’ll get the scholarship in the contract also, but it is going to come down to how the money changes our family’s lives.”
The Yankees signed third baseman Eric Jagielo (26th overall) to a slot-money deal last week. Aaron Judge, selected by the team at No. 32, remains unsigned.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories