NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A tourist from London in town for a wedding was attacked and beaten in Brooklyn early Tuesday, in what a City Councilman said might have been another “knockout” attack.
As 1010 WINS’ Sonia Rincon reported, the 65-year-old man was attacked on McDonald Avenue near 18th Avenue in Borough Park, Brooklyn, as he left the wedding around 2:30 a.m. Tuesday.
The attackers grabbed him by the head and threw him to the ground, Rincon reported. No property was taken.
Police would not label the crime a knockout attack. But New York City Councilman David Greenfield (D-44th) said it “appears” to be one.
“He was attacked from behind by two individuals, brutally attacked,” Greenfield said. “They did not take anything from him, and he was in such bad condition that he had to be hospitalized.”
Greenfield also wanted to know if the victim was targeted because he is Hasidic. He said the community is very concerned.
A wave of attacks, where the perpetrator attempts to knock out an unsuspecting stranger with a single blow, began in Crown Heights in October of last year. Police previously beefed up patrols in some of the communities that have seen several incidents.
Police Tuesday night were looking at surveillance video.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- CBS News Poll Shows Clinton, Trump Close In Many Battleground States
- Fight Between Far Right Group, ‘Anti-Fascist’ Protesters Leaves Several Stabbed Outside Calif. State Capitol
- Limo Driver Rescues Dog From Middle Of Traffic On Brooklyn Bridge
- Survivor Of Orlando Nightclub Massacre Attends NYC Pride Parade