Wrongly Convicted Brooklyn Man Sues State For $25 Million After Serving 24 Years In Prison
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) – A Brooklyn man who spent a quarter of a century behind bars for a crime he didn’t commit has filed a $25 million lawsuit against the state.
Derrick Deacon was convicted in the 1989 shooting death of teenager during a robbery in a Flatbush apartment complex.
He was freed on new evidence last year.
Deacon was granted a new trial in 2012 after an FBI cooperator identified a different man as the shooter and the recantation of a separate witness.
It took a jury just nine minutes to declare Deacon not guilty.
Deacon told the New York Post that prosecutors “have to pay for every day it made me suffer behind the wall for no reason.”
A spokeswoman for the state attorney declined to comment on the lawsuit.
So far in 2014, the Brooklyn District Attorney’s office has worked to free four people who were wrongfully convicted. Last week, a man who had also served 24 years for a murder he did not commit was exonerated.
DA Ken Thompson, who took office on Jan. 1, ran on a platform of reviewing past convictions using new technology.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- Expert: Breaking Up By ‘Ghosting’ And Vanishing Is ‘Coward’s Way Out’
- Police: Man Believed To Be Behind Several Bias Attacks In North Brunswick
- Cuomo Increases Fourth Of July Security, Says NY Is ‘Top Target For Terrorists’
- Wounded L.I. Veteran Commemorates Harrowing Anniversary On July 4, Plows Ahead
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)