NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The Grand Concourse in the Bronx will become the city’s second “slow zone” as part of an effort to reduce speeding and traffic fatalities, city officials announced Thursday.
The Grand Concourse is the second of 25 planned arterial slow zones being put in place throughout the city as part of Mayor Bill de Blaiso’s “Vision Zero” plan.
As part of the slow down, traffic signals will be retimed for 25 mph along the entire 5.2 mile corridor that officials said has seen 12 fatalities, including seven pedestrians, between 2008 and 2012.
“It is a shame that we live in a city where the first cause of death for children under 14 is car crash accidents,” Councilman Ydanis Rodriguez said.
Signs for slower speed limits will also be put in place and the stepped up enforcement will include pedestrian awareness.
“Make sure that they are alert, they are attentive,” said Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr. “There are so many people who are texting, have headphones.”
Earlier this month, Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn became the first stretch of road to be designated a “slow zone.” Other slow zones will be enacted throughout the year, officials said.
The “Vision Zero” campaign was launched in February as an aggressive crackdown on speeding and other traffic violations in an effort to reduce traffic accidents in New York City, especially those involving pedestrians.
Check Out These Other Stories From CBSNewYork.com:
- NYPD: Man Arrested For Sexually Abusing Woman Inside Brooklyn Apartment Building
- Watch: Lady Gaga Sings Top Hits Alongside James Corden On ‘Carpool Karaoke’
- Protesters Disrupt Traffic On George Washington Bridge, Causing Major Delays
- Zagat Restaurant Guide: Le Bernadin Takes Top Spot For 8th Year In A Row