Some of the best memories a child can have is at a playground. With all the laughter and fun experiences, children usually never want to leave. What if there was a way to bring the playground into your home? Below are five ways to build a playground in your New York abode.
1. Pick a Location: Before you start making any purchases, you must first decide on where to put your playground. Will it be in your child’s room or do you have extra space in a spare area? Once you have decided on a location, the next step is to measure. Each playground piece will require its own space to function.
2. Choose the Right Flooring: As playgrounds are an area for excessive play, it is important to have soft flooring for your children. The last thing you want to do when creating a playground is have your child or their friend take a spill on flooring that is not made to break their fall gracefully. Carefully consider this step because safety is most important and children tend to be reckless when playing.
3. Buy a Set: If you don’t have the time or energy to design your own playground, buy a playground kit. Commonly seen in backyards, playground sets have everything you need. Most include a slide, high play area, swing and more. If you are fortunate enough to have room in your New York home’s yard for a set, then by all means get the kids out of the house and outside for some fresh air.
4. Add a Swing: Nothing is more satisfying than a do-it-yourself project. Dare to be handy and try creating your own indoor swing. These playground favorites are the perfect project as they require few materials for assembly. Hammer some sturdy hooks into the ceiling and attach ropes from each.
5. Incorporate Toys: Don’t let a lack of space bring down your dreams of a homemade playground. Crawling tubes and oversized parachutes are perfect playground accessories that your child will love. There are many options that may not be common among park playgrounds, but with a little bit of looking, you can find the best toys to complete your perfect play area.
These local businesses may be able to help you get started:
152 East 23rd St.
New York, NY 10010
Hours: Mon to Fri – 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., Sat – 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., Sun – 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Take a trip to Vercesi Hardware for all of your planning essentials. Items like measuring and painter’s tape will come in handy when you block out space for your new playground.
New York, NY 10023
Hours: Mon to Tues – 9:30 a.m. to 7:15 p.m., Wed to Sat – 9:30 a.m. to 7:45 p.m., Sun – 11 a.m. to 5:45 p.m.
Planet Kids is a great resource in New York for nursery and playroom needs.
60 W 15th St.
New York, NY 10011
Hours: Mon to Sat – 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Sun – 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Grab your little ones and take a shopping trip to Kidding Around for playground-like accessories.
For more great tricks, tips and advice about your home, visit CBSNewYork/YourHome.
Tanvier Lee is a freelance contributor and lifestyle decorating expert. Her work can be found here.