HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — Steven Hayes is set to be formally sentenced to death next week. But like all death row inmates in Connecticut, he will probably spend many years, if not the rest of his life, in prison.

Hayes is scheduled to be sentenced Dec. 2 for sexually assaulting and strangling Jennifer Hawke-Petit in 2007. Authorities say he and another man tied her two daughters to their beds, poured gasoline on them and set fire to their Cheshire house.

Hayes already has taken his spot with the nine others on Connecticut’s death row.

They are allowed two hours of recreation outside their cell six days a week. One hour typically is spent indoors, in an area with a library and phone. The other is spent outside, in a courtyard, inside a cage.

In comparison, a Correction Department spokesman says, prisoners sentenced to life are typically housed with the general population. They are allowed out of their cells six to seven hours a day and may spend that time with other prisoners.

Connecticut has executed just one person since 1960.

(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comments (7)
  1. Clara says:

He shouldn’t be allowed to recreation time at all. I don’t think that’s right!

2. otto says:

We need more colorful punishments from history … one of my all time fav’s …

… Drawn and quartered !!

Maximum pain just prior to sending them into the next existence !!

3. Chassidish FishZaft says:

this person should be executed ASAP. this person does not deserve to live on this world.

4. Frank says:

I hope you meant ‘rabid dog’…

5. fern says:

Those sentenced to life without parole should enjoy the same treatment as those sentenced to die. By killing these people we the society put ourselves on the same level as these murderers.
    I couldn’t care less about the bible but I don’t imagine the bible having “thou shall not kill” except in paragraph 1,2,3,4,5 and 6.
    Also I’m pretty sure than most people screaming to take someone’s life would not have the guts to do it themselves. I wonder how Scott would react if he was given a rusty knife and told to go ahead and kill Hayes.

6. Skip K says:

Scott, do you also believe “thou shall not kill” and what about \Judge not that ye be judged? Any of those ring a bell too? Sounds like you have selective recall of the bible.

7. Scott says:

With a crime as horrible as this one was I think Connecticut should seriously consider executing their second person since 1960 immediately. What these people did to that innocent family is unforgivable and justice should be served. I believe in an eye for an eye. Put him down like you would a rabbit dog.