NEW YORK (CBS 2) — The latest trend to help keep you looking young doesn’t require any needles or filters. It’s a natural way to get rid of frown lines and plump the skin for a more youthful appearance.

Now, many are opting to try facial exercise programs to help them “work out” the wrinkles.

“You want to stretch the corners of your mouth to your eyes, and open your eyes really wide,” Yoga instructor Annelise Hagan said.

Making faces may actually help you look younger, and can help strengthen sagging muscles.

The moves are part of exercise programs that target muscles on the face to tighten and tone.

“You’re stretching everything out,” Hagan said.

“I have no wrinkles on my forehead, no botox,” Cynthia Rowland said. “Look at this – my forehead doesn’t even move because it’s so strengthened from exercise.”

Rowland is the creator of Facial Magic, a series of moves aimed a reshaping the face and countering the aging process.

“We’re using isometric exercise with contraction, and when you isometrically contract a muscle, it moves everything from the inside in a very special way,” Rowland said.

Practitioners say they’re seeing the results in a big way.

“I looked in the mirror and was like, ‘holy crap,’” Dr. Diana Kirschner said. “The eyebrows went up, the hairline went up immediately.”

“I have no injections now, nothing, and I’m over 50,” Jackie Silver said.

Cosmetic surgeon Dr. Joseph Eviatar, however, said the concept may sometimes be oversold.

“If you can do it in a way that in certain people improves their appearance, I don’t think there’s any harm to that,” Dr. Eviatar said. “But this notion that you should exercise your facial muscles like you exercise the rest of your muscles for the gym is really not true.”

Hagan, though, has a class full of people who may disagree. She’s also the author of “Yoga Face.”

“When I give people target exercises for specific areas…I see the results right away,” Hagan said.

“You actually feel your muscles working, and you feel them tingling in your face when you’re doing the exercises,” Stephen Kazanijan said.

“You look completely ridiculous for a little bit, and then it kind of relaxes you because you’re laughing at yourself,” Hillery Wheeler said.

Dr. Eviatar stresses to be careful not to damage your facial tissues by pulling too hard.

Comments (9)
  1. Jennifer Blake says:

Facial yogo? It’s really a new and good way to make you keep your age.

2. Mangesh says:

Nice exercise for eyes

3. Diana Kirschner says:

Cynthia Rowland’s exercises definitely work! I have been using them for years and they make a huge difference in lifting the face muscles and giving a toned appearance.

4. Joe says:

If you’re looking for the real thing i would suggest you try this new product from Bio-Medical Research in Hoboken, NJ

5. Gary Sikorski says:

Enjoyed your article! Another wonderful facial exercise program can be found at http://www.HappyFaceYoga.com. Lots of great info on facial exercises, the healthy natural way to look younger, and an easy-to-learn DVD can be found there. And please forward this info to your friends. I’m sure they will love you for it!

6. Cynthia Rowland says:

I am the creator of Facial Magic, the White Glove Face Lift, not facial yoga! I agree, the coverage was confusing because the two modalties were mixed.

7. Harry says:

What a bunch of rubbish for few ppl to make money from insecure women!

1. Sara Abbott says:

Oh, is this something you have researched and/or tried for yourself, or are you that guy who comments on everything on the internet in this manner!? Didn’t I run into you on another bulleton board regarding consumer complaints, and you poo poo’d my legitimate complaints!? Yeah, so, ATTENTION EVERYONE!

8. Donna Perretti says:

Cynthia Rowlands did not create facial yoga as she claimed on the 11pm news last night. Carol Maggio created Facercize in 1995 and performed the exact excercizes shown on the segment as wellas many more (Iown the book). Greer Childs also performed similar in her video created in1997. Please tell Rowlands to stop fibbing!