PATERSON, N.J. (CBSNewYork) — A New Jersey first-grade teacher who allegedly posted derogatory comments about her students on her Facebook page has been suspended.

WCBS 880’s Ginny Kosola with details on the case

Several parents who saw the posts apparently came to Paterson School 21 and asked that their children be removed from her class.

The teacher’s name has not been released.

The Paterson school district is said to have ordered the removal of the post earlier this week. In it, the teacher reportedly called her 6 and 7-year-old students “future criminals” and said that she felt like a “warden” handling them.

The school district issued a statement saying that the teacher is on administrative leave with pay and that the matter is a “personnel issue” that is under investigation.

Please offer your thoughts in the comments section below.

Comments (78)
  1. pattianne pascual says:

to all the ignorant idiots that turned this into a racial issue,it shows schooling is also failing where you live.this is about the constitution being ripped to shreds.as you speak race,your right to speak is being destroyed,but your’re too stupid to think that deep.I live in paterson. before you talk, go all the way down union ave,belmont or broadway.hang out for a while.see how the recent graduates turned out.go in a bodega.see how the hard working people are treated and talked to.how the gangs choose their business as a hangout,against the owners wishes, with nothing done about it because the consequence of speaking up is death.we are a city of criminals and psychopaths.it is so accepted that outsiders come here to live,knowing they will get away with anything.teachers can’t punish kids.not even the horrible ones that make learning impossible for the good kids.crime pays, drug addiction pays.allows lots of money to end up in certain politicians pockets.this is done on purpose.it could easily be fixed by jailing the parents for creating the monsters.and immediately allowing punishment from kindergarten on.they wouldnt be getting away with robbing classmates by 2nd grade.and the ones that don’t comply could go to a boot camp style school.thats what they deserve for not wanting to fit
    into normal societal rules with morals and ethics.so be it if they have to be forced into learning these basic things.if not,we all pay for the rest of our lives for their jail,programs,methadone,housing,food,etc.I am not black.i am not religious.I am an animal and community activist,unpaid independent media journalist,who talks to the homeless,addicts, prostitutes,and kids,on a daily basis,so I can speak about it.until you come here, and find out the truth, keep your ignorant opinions to yourself.and the teacher,regardless of what she does,has the right to freedom of expression.she should be rewarded for pointing out there is a problem.the ones most upset are the ones guilty of raising their kids that way.the normal ones should be outraged,not at the teachers statements,but what the statements are bringing to light,regarding what is really happening to their kids,when they assume they are dropping them off in a safe,learning environment.do not suppress truth! (facebook =unitingandfighting)

2. Bob Borzotta says:

It’s fun to compare news stories that demonstrate all that’s unraveling in our social fabric.

A flag-hanging non-Nazi neighbor’s action is protected as free expression (see http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/22/3342765/swastika.html). However, if you teach tough kids in Paterson, N.J., known as a horrendously dangerous place to try to stay alive, and you post on YOUR own Facebook page a reference to the kids being “future criminals,” (mean or not) you’re ordered to remove the post and you’re suspended. With pay, at least.

How is one of these freedoms of expression protected and the other is not?

3. JOE says:

LOL FUTURE CRIMINALS, THAT’S FUNNY!! HAS ANYONE BEEN OR LIVED IN PATERSON N.J?? EVER GO PAST THE PROJECTS?? THIS TEACHER IS CORRECT! HOWEVER, ITS NOT THE CHILDRENS FAULT, ITS THE PARENTS AND THE HOOD THAT THEY HAVE TO LIVE IN!! ITS A SHAME!!! THEY COULD BE A GREAT BUNCH OF KIDS!! HOWEVER, WHEN YOU HAVE NOTHING AROUND YOU BUT GUN FIRE, DRUGS, AND WORKING GIRLS AROUND YOUR KIDS, WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT! DID YOU ALSO KNOW THERE IS NO PARKS FOR KIDS THERE….OVERALL, WTH!!! WHAT HAPPEN TO OUR FREEDOM OF SPEACH! ITS NOT THE FIRST TIME I HAVE SEEN PEOPLW BEING FORCED TO REMOVE THEIR COMMENTS FROM FACEBOOK..WHAT B/S!

4. Bernie Sanders says:

we dont need to lay off teachers they are doing a good job themselves by getting fired .. idiots !

5. Moral Truth says:

The teacher has a right to post how she feels on facebook. The school has commitetd a violation of her civil rightsby suspending her and thats the moral truth

6. Anonymous says:

What’s the point of trying to teach black kids when you know white people will just hate on them. They won’t be able to get great paying jobs so they will be poor. You can’t complain about black people when white people determine their future. I have seen black people come in for interviews, do very well, but the supervisor gives the job to a white person, then talks bad about black people in the back room. You people are horrible. No wonder muslims are willing to blow themselves up to keep white people from running their country. You can’t have a productive society by preventing certain people in that society poor.
    I’m a US Army veteran and it kills my heart to have served my country to see Americans being choked financially by the same people who cry about democracy and freedom for “all”.

1. Kunte Kinte says:

You are just mad black people have an average IQ of 85 while white people have an average of 103. White people are stylin’ on you bro.

White people are laughing at black girls wearing Jolly Ranchers in their hair.

1. AB says:

Actually, its the white people that are trying to imitate our sound, our look, our style. Do you wath your television shows, commercials and so forth? LOL… Are you upset because your wife wishes that you wear Kunta Kente (thats right Mr. IQ of 103, you misspelled it) the Mondingo Worrior? You do know what Mandingo is all though you don’t possess onedon’t yoou? If not ask your wife/girlfriend :-).

I bet you’re one of “THOSE PEOPLE” that believes Egypt is a part of Europe, aren’t you??? Poor thing.

Black people are laughing at white girls trying to look like Beyonce, who I am sure your father has wet dreams about.

Ciao. Oh, that means god-bye in Italian just incase you didn’t know.

Just my opion

2. ab says:

Actually, its the white people that are trying to imitate our sound, our look, our style. Do you watch your television shows, commercials and so forth? LOL… Are you upset because your wife wishes that you were Kunta Kente (thats right Mr. IQ of 103, you misspelled it) the Mondingo Worrior? You do know what Mandingo is all though you don’t possess one don’t yoou? If not ask your wife/girlfriend .

Ciao. Oh, that means god-bye in Italian just incase you didn’t know.

Just my opion

7. Paul D. Candelaria says:

A teacher can’t handle 6 or 7 year old kids and calls them future criminals? What audacity!
    First off; her getting suspended is a good move because she shows nothing but contempt for her charges and who knows at what point she’ll get physical with these kids. What kind of teacher is that to say something about kids that young? If that’s how you feel, you should have made a better career choice.
    Secondly; does she have a crystal ball that she sees who’s definitely going to jail? Perhaps if she cared more about teaching than pre-judging people kids, she might make a difference. I understand sometimes kids will bring into the classroom what’s wrong at home but this teacher makes me wonder how much she cares about more than herself. You don’t become a teacher to cast aspersions on little kids!

1. Slim says:

Alas, someone who makes sense. I agree.

1. Hope lives says:

my sentiments exactly!

8. ElDub says:

When I read stories like this (about lazy students) I don’t know whether I should be happy or sad. Happy because I know my children won’t have to compete with these losers in life. Sad because I know that my children will have to support these losers for the rest of their lives. I guess it could be avoided if we move out of the country.

9. James Earl Ray says:

Only 12 percent of Paterson, NJ is white…

10. Angry Black Man says:

Not my sweet black child! My baby would never disrespect his teacher. My baby is an angel! My baby will be rapper or NBA basketball player some day! Peace!

11. Ledda says:

Let face the fact,some kids in Paterson are a reflection of the parents at home and in that areas omg you have no idea what your dealing with……

12. Jennifer says:

The board of education president said, “you can’t fire someone for what they have on a Facebook page, but if that spills over and affects the classroom, then you can take action.”

So I guess you can fire someone for what is on their Facebook page.

The First Amendment protects people against government action based on their speech. A government school firing a teacher for this speech would certainly be considered government action.

13. cygon says:

I recognize her frustrations and I know that her complaints are right on, but she is a pinhead for posting it on a private forum. As a teacher she should have had the brains to know that these things are discussed privately between trusted friends.

1. cygon says:

I mean, she is a pinhead for posting on a PUBLIC forum

14. cygon says:

FOR WORD OF WISDOM – YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN IN A CLASSROOM, YOU FOOL.

15. cygon says:

they may be PRESENT criminals. I was subbing and there was a drug dealer in my class. Teacher’s aide told me not to let him out of the classroom if he asks because he gets calls to deal. He is still in the school, strangely. They just temporarily suspended him when he got caught. I wonder what the parents are doing. BTW, this is not a black neighborhood; the boy has a good life in a prosperous suburb.

1. Bob says:

Yo yo yo…One of the main roads leading to downtown Paterson is named after MLK, Jr. Just saying… Check it out on google maps.

1. DC says:

And yo, yo, yo, lets take a look at columbine. Have we EVER had any black kids do something like that? Uhhhh I dont think so you ignorant dummy. It’s that attitude that whites have (entitlement) that keeps black s from doing better and propagates the frustration and bad behavior you see in inner city poor kids. HELLO!

2. Lost in the Ghetto says:

Nicholas Elliott in the 1980s. Luckily the gun jammed, and he was stopped before he killed more.

There was a Native American student in the mid-2000’s that killed a bunch of people…

just saying…

16. Disgusted says:

what a dummy I am for becoming a doctor.

I look at a patient askance because of his/her nefarious comment and they take my license, issue fines, and possibly bring charges. As a city worker, I’d get PAID “admin leave” pending the investigation (months usually), a slap on wrist, no formal charges, keep my license, and stay on my tenure track.

And we’re both considered PROFESSIONALS authorized by the same State gov’t body..

17. Babba Booey says:

It’s a pretty funny story until you realize that the teacher is not only being honest but sadly correct as well.
    The New generation of savages to come

1. I AGREE says:

YOU ARE CORRECT! Chris Christie wants to reward teachers based on students grades??? How does a teacher stand a chance in the inner city “Jungle” of ignorance???

18. cochino says:

After all, three generations of imbeciles are enough!

19. ANSWER says:

Teachers in that environment have classrooms consisting of 25 to 30 children. These children come to school with little to no sleep, poor nutrition, poor hygiene and zero guidance at home. In addition they don’t act like 6 and 7 year olds. They demonstrate very poor focus and attention to take direction. It is almost impossible to teach with these issues. Day after day teachers in most of these inner city school districts try. But in most cases the teacher can’t break this viscous cycle of ignorance. Mandatory birth control is the only answer. Parents need to be held accountable. Teachers in these environments all deserve to be paid at the highest scale! They deserve it.

1. No2Nazis says:

That is the most ridiculous thing I’ve heard in a while, eugenics? Really? No thanks, Adolph.

1. No2Nazis is a uninformed person says:

Its the truth. Look up the definition of “Viscous Cycle” No2Nazis…. Welfare is the root cause…I agree with the “ANSWER”. Better yet before anyone comments maybe they should video tape the day to day issues these teachers experience…then there would be compassion for the teacher….

20. Word of Wisdom says:

There is no such thing as a bad student….only bad teachers.

1. Wisdom (lol) says:

How about bad parents????

2. princeton1991 says:

You’re an idiot and a likley dropout. Go back to school! — and I hate teachers more than you know so don’t blame me on you’re idiocy.

1. princeton1991 is ignorant says:

princeton1991 please seek psychiatric help immediately. You are in danger of a meltdown…I feel very sorry for your inner circle of friends and family…WOW!

3. Hotrod says:

Yeah, there are some bad teachers…but the majority of of the teachers I work with in an inner city high school care, work much harder than the 2:20 bell, and don’t deserve to be summarily lumped together with the really bad teachers exposed in the media.

In reality there are bad students, bad parents, a bad community, a bad city goverment, a bad federal government and a bad society, all contributing to whatever problems these kids have.

Put them in a classroom and expect a teacher to fix all of this, one hour a day.
      Kids that don’t want to learn, that don’t want to be in school and that have a 3rd grade reading level in a 10th grade class….I challenge anyone to deal with this on a daily basis, expect to perform, and not feel exhausted and frustrated.

I’m a conservative, not crazy about unions, but I’m tired of everyone just dumping on teachers. Maybe everyone is watching too may movies.

4. cygon says:

you have never been a teacher, you idiot.

21. Mike says:

Leave the children of slackers in the public school system. Listen to this. My niece was doing her student teaching in Beachwood Ohio Public schools with 9th graders. After lunch the princes and princesses came back to class yelling and “fing” everyone and everything in sight. So she made them go back to the hall and come back quietly and ready to learn.
    Her reward for this was 1 hour of counseling, not for the class but for her!
    This junior high has 4 full time shrinks on site to help manage the teachers and kids. All that public school administrators want to to be sure no one makes any waves. What a joke.
    Not wanting any part of the public school system, she got her Phd and has been teaching at a private college in Savana

22. Dewey says:

My niece teaches HS in Queens NY and says mainly the students
    show up to meet each other ,not to study ,
    Many of these kids will never be in the standard work ethics we
    older folks grew up with ,they won’t work as they expect to start
    at the top. Sad but this teacher’s comments are not far from what
    my niece feels.

1. cygon says:

your niece is so right.

23. 1608 says:

She did her job.

Now the students know to judge a book by it’s cover.

24. Sick of whining says:

It’s her business what she posts on Facebook – maybe she should have marked it private and kept the comments amongst a select few. I can understand what she is saying – go to the mall and watch how kids act around their parents – heck, watch how the parents act. Instead of the parents crying about it they need to step up and parent instead of having the state/county raise their children. And yeah, some of those kids will grow up and be criminals. We have no EXPECTATIONS of proper behavior – we ACCEPT antisocial behavior everyday from children. Then when we can’t control the kids we dope ’em up on ritalin and other drugs then sit ’em in front of MTV, and Jerry Springer for their role models. Then we sit wondering what went wrong.

1. Sick of whining says:

Did anyone bother to ask why she felt that way?

1. rick says:

good question…

25. mell says:

She and all academic teachers in America should walk out and set up their own small private schools. Capitalism and Freedom !!!!!!!! No more social promotion and grade fixing for lazy Americans!

1. ned says:

Blow me mell. I take exception to the “Lazy Americans” comment. Are you one of those immigrants that came here because you couldn’t find a job in your own country or are you just another lazy American?

26. Richard Allen says:

What is wrong with everyone….she knows what the truth is…she was warning everyone before it got bad

We need to praise this teacher and give her a PAY RAISE…..

27. Joe says:

The teacher called it as she saw it!!!

28. joey gallows says:

boohoo someones feelings were hurt
    next thing is a lawsuit
    the kids say worse things to each other every day

29. UJU says:

A school teacher can only do so much! Parents should rise up to their duties

30. Robert says:

Seek the truth, but don’t speak the truth ! The teacher can tell by the character of her students how they will be in later life! Paterson is a ghetto city and thats all one needs to know.

31. kds says:

When I was growing up I had nothing but respect for any and all adults specially teachers. Nowadays, my 9 year old neighbor is so disrespectful I wonder what she’ll become as a young adult. The worse part is her parents excuse her behavior with “she’s only nine”. I bet she behaves the same way in school by what I hear from other adults in the complex where we live.

1. 2luv says:

why is it that people NEED to POST EVERYTHING IN FACEBOOK!!!

32. noodlesnoodlemann says:

Not too bright.

33. Michael Allen Powers says:

Mr. Johnson wonders why people are offended by the “truth”. (Fox’s definition of the word, obviously). I think he’s cranky because the kids won’t stay off his lawn.

I have teaching credentials, but I don’t teach. Why? Because I suck at it. (I have nothing but respect for those who can.) I learned this early on, and, to keep from doing a disservice to any prospective students, chose another path, just as this teacher should have done.

34. mike felter says:

i was thinking at first she can speak her mind she’s free but after some more thinking i agree rise the bar ,, i grow up in newark. was going the wrong way and some good people helped me,, and my great wife,,she stayed by me.. send the teacher back to school

35. story says:

There are expectations of educators to educate and not only academics but also morals and ethics. Her statement takes away from these children the chance they deserve to excel they are only 6 and 7 years old and will gravitate towards attitudes taught to them. This teacher is not prepared and should not be allowed to enter the class room again it is not the place for her she does not have the love or tolerance to deal with children of that age. Children of that age are curious and yes some of them are coming from homes where seeing is believing the thing that happen there and if that is the case let school be the heaven where they learn to be better people, gain knowledge and in the process get a little love.

1. Paterson says:

36. Kar says:

Everyone is entitled to thier opinions, truth be told or not. As an educator, you should know better then to ever post work related stuff. And never ever be facebook friends with parents & students! Lesson be learned!

37. Daniel Barbier says:

Please! And then if the kid does become a criminal then the educational system gets “blamed” for not intervening while again the parents receieve no responsibility in the outcome of their child’s behavior

38. Shelli Lipton says:

Teachers who think they are there as police need to be in a different profession. It’s good that this teacher was fired.

1. cygon says:

the admin expects teacher to be the police in their class. They rate you down if you call for help when a student acts up. They think that you should be able to manage this.
      I am shocked at the ignorance of people about the teaching profession today. It is not about teaching anymore. One (sucessful) teacher told me it is more like training dogs. Parents have raised these kids to have no respect for their elders, and no respect for rules.

39. James W Johnson says:

So why are people so offended by the truth and facts?

40. James W Johnson says:

Why does the truth offend so many people?

41. Mari says:

i would say the teacher should be suspended more for her stupidity in posting to facebook than anything else. And she obviously was ill-prepared for the reality of the challenging job of teaching. I have no doubt she found her students unruly and undisciplined – they do live in an area where parenting skills seem to me at a minimium, but is also a challenge for those who DO try to be attentive to their children. She is to blame for thoughtlessness less than for her thoughts, but the education system, including hers at teacher’s college, are also partly responsible.

1. Paterson says:

Teachers in that environment have classrooms consisting of 25 to 30 children. These children come to school with little to no sleep, poor nutrition, poor hygiene and zero guidance at home. In addition they don’t act like 6 and 7 year olds. They demonstrate very poor focus and attention to take direction. It is almost impossible to teach with these issues. Day after day teachers in most of these inner city school districts try. But in most cases the teacher can’t break this viscous cycle of ignorance. Mandatory birth control is the only answer. Have some compassion for the teacher.

42. J says:

Bulls_it! Obviously there’s a reason why she said it. Paterson NJ, is a gang infested slum with low function parents who are too busy smoking weed to help their children with their homework. Some, are future criminals. Look at their parents. The apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree.

1. J says:

You ignorant bigot, I grew up in Paterson NJ…. I graduated with honors from Penn State, I am getting my M.A at an international program…. after working as a political adviser.. and well be surely making a lot more money then you will ever be…..

1. James W Johnson says:

Democratis advisor no doubt.He made your point and you can’t even see that!

2. Cisco says:

“.. and well be surely making a lot more money then you will ever be…”

Return to Penn State and ask for a refund. English composition isn’t your best game.

3. Penn State Genius read this... says:

Teachers in that environment have classrooms consisting of 25 to 30 children. These children come to school with little to no sleep, poor nutrition, poor hygiene and zero guidance at home. In addition they don’t act like 6 and 7 year olds. They demonstrate very poor focus and attention to take direction. It is almost impossible to teach with these issues. Day after day teachers in most of these inner city school districts try. But in most cases the teacher can’t break this viscous cycle of ignorance. Mandatory birth control is the only answer. I hope this educates the Penn State ignoramus ignoramus..

43. teacher says:

i know as an educator the children will rise to your expectations. I set the bar very high and they do very well and i see other teachers with this teachers mentality of how they are no good and thats what they get. When will society realize that we need to raise the bar and make them responsible and they will rise to the occasion. Try it! It works!

1. AB says:

CISCO, Pen State didn’t say she wanted to be a school teacher. LOL…

44. joe k says:

And I thought the truth would make you free.

1. anna says:

i thought its Arbeit macht frei (work would make you free)

1. AB says: